• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name This Pastry

Matthew Kirshner

Hi All,

I have been going through my recipe notebooks and came across a morning pastry I have not done in a long time. It was taught to me from my Swedish Pastry Chef years ago, but the problem is someone(aka my kids) decided to draw in the book now I can not read out the name.

This is the best way to describe it: It is a pate-a-choux piped in a round then a small round of sweet dough placed on top prior to baking. After the bake, we use to fill the inside with rasp. jam/pastry cream/vanilla whipped cream.

If anyone has made or seen this type of pastry, please let me know what the name is. Have a Merry XMAS and Happy New Year!!

Hi All,

I have been going through my recipe notebooks and came across a morning pastry I have not done in a long time. It was taught to me from my Swedish Pastry Chef years ago, but the problem is someone(aka my kids) decided to draw in the book now I can not read out the name.

This is the best way to describe it: It is a pate-a-choux piped in a round then a small round of sweet dough placed on top prior to baking. After the bake, we use to fill the inside with rasp. jam/pastry cream/vanilla whipped cream.

If anyone has made or seen this type of pastry, please let me know what the name is. Have a Merry XMAS and Happy New Year!!

Are you thinking of, perhaps .. Gâteau Saint-Honoré?

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

I am reading the OP as describing an individual choux puff. So to that end, I've seen some pastry chefs use a thin sweet dough, rolled very thin, placed on top of an individual choux puff before baking. I'm trying to remember where I saw this, possibly it was in Herme's dessert book but I will have to find the book to check.

St Honore usually has caramel dipped puffs along the edge of the round but it could be plain puffs as well.