• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Soap Dispenser Help Wanted

weinoo

The hand-soap dispenser I've used in my kitchen for years has finally bought the farm :sad: .

Admittedly, it had been clogging for years - but now it's a total nightmare to even get it to squirt the tiniest bit of soap out.

What's the best soap dispenser out there? And - it has to be refillable, otherwise what's the point?

Thanks in advance.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have the motion sensor soap dispensers from Bed, Bath & Beyond in the kitchen and in the bathrooms and also have one out at my garden sink.

Not having to pump the thing keeps it clean and so far I have had no problems with clogging. I do run hot water through them before refilling. I signed onto their web site and added the dispensers to my cart. The next day I removed them and then I got an email with a coupon which I took to the store where I found them marked down and I used the coupon.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Weinoo,

Do yourself a really big favor and buy the Cuisipro Foam Pump from Amazon (sorry I'm not able to post a link now).

I bought four of these for my kitchen and bathrooms. Love them!!! They never clog, you can use any kind of soap you like and they don't fall over or tip on the counter tops.

Also, Dial makes foaming soap now in a dispenser that's pretty good.

I'll never go back to using full-strength soap now after using foam.

• Like 1

I have a pump dispenser built into the countertop by the sink and I've always used diluted soap in it....it prevents it from clogging and we use less soap. That's a good thing because we are on septic. The Cuisipro Foam Pump looks great for other areas in my house. However here is what one reviewer said about it

"Three negatives of this product are: 1) you must be VERY CAREFUL to not exceed the fill lines for soap & water, otherwise you get a messy mixture of watery soap; 2) on my unit the suction cup is very ineffective, it simply doesn't stay inplace and will move until it slides into the back-splash; and 3) the pump seems to drip a small amount of foam, which ends up on the surface of the sink, at the base of the unit, and maybe the cause of why the suction cup is ineffective. At least every other day, the sink around the dispenser and the suction cup needs to be cleaned of soapy water, and the suction cup reattached."

• Like 1

Soap dispensers are more or less maintenace-free. Are you sure you didn't abuse yours?

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I have the motion sensor soap dispensers from Bed, Bath & Beyond in the kitchen and in the bathrooms and also have one out at my garden sink.

Are they all the same model? Looking at BB&B, I see a couple by Umbra and a few by Simple Human. The reviews are not always kind, especially to the lower-priced ones. Not sure how much I would want to spend on one, though I appreciate your suggestion for possible price reductions!