• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Darienne

Shortbread cookies - mixed by hand or machine

9 posts in this topic

A friend recently gave me her Mother's wonderful shortbread cookie recipe and advised me that that the sugar and butter had to be creamed by hand and then the flour mixed in by hand also...or else the cookies would not be the same as her Mother's were.

Could this be true? And why should it be so?

BTW, I creamed by hand mixer and mixed by hand and the shortbreads were exquisite.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

I've always used a mixer and mine comes out just fine.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

Did you notice a difference between the ones you creamed by hand and the ones you made with a mixer? It doesn't seem that your friend was saying they wouldn't be good if you used a mixer. They'd still be good, just not the same as her mother's. The difference would be in the texture, since using a mixer would incorporate a bit more air. If your friend is used to eating them the way her mother always made them, she might be able to tell the difference whereas others might not.

I keep searching for the "perfect" shortbread cookie. I've never met a shortbread I didn't like, but I have yet to find one that made me feel the search was over. Are you able to share your friend's recipe?

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my first post. I creamed the butter and sugar by hand mixer and then mixed the flour in by hand. Two processes in one batch of cookies.

And my friend pronounced my cookies as excellent. She doesn't have time to make cookies this year and so maybe she was just being a tad kind. Don't know.

I'll pm you the recipe.

1 person likes this

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

I always make shortbread in the mixer. No way am I creaming butter by hand. My arm would give out first.

1 person likes this

Thanks all. I suspect we are talking 'urban myth'.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Or "Old Wives Tale" since Granny didn't have a mixer.

I would love to have the recipe too :)

please.

I always make shortbread in the mixer. No way am I creaming butter by hand. My arm would give out first.

I can't believe that at one point I used to do all my baking by hand. I must have had muscles!

1 person likes this

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?