• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing non-stick skillet in oven drawer

Shel_B

Toots has a new skillet. It's an anodized aluminum Calphalon non-stick model, specifically this one: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/calphalon-reg-contemporary-nonstick-10-inch-and-12-inch-omelet-pan-set/1014506683 Storage space is tight in her kitchen, and she was thinking of storing the skillet in the drawer that's below the oven in her gas range. We'd like to know if leaving the skillet in that drawer while the oven is on could damage the skillet. Thanks!

... Shel

I have that same drawer on my gas range. dont store anything in it, but they way to find out would be to put one of those remote temp probes in the drawer and fire up the oven

you know the kind:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/All-Clad-Digital-Oven-Probe-Thermometer/1041770221?Keyword=remote+temp+probe

well if you have one. it would be an interesting experiment.

What does the oven manual say? A friend stored her secret booze stash down there and it had no effect. The bottles were never even warm.

Haven't a clue what the manual says. Toots has the manual filed somewhere and we can take a look at it. Never thought of that, although I don't expect to learn much, if anything, from the manual.

... Shel

BTW those are great pans

if stored one 'in' the other, dont forget to put an old towel or something between them so as not to damage the finish.

We ALWAYS use separators.

Yes, I think they're pretty good. I had one that lasted a L-O-N-G time, replaced the set, and then got another set for Toots.

Here's an interesting aside: the new pans are stamped "Dishwasher Safe" on the bottom. The earlier pans were not recommended for the dishwasher.

... Shel

I assume the question is whether the storage drawer gets so hot as to degrade the PTFE nonstick coating. So long as the drawer stays below 500F (cite), you should be fine. The one wrinkle which occurs to me is whether it's a self-cleaning oven. If so, I'd empty the drawer when running that cycle.

I assume the question is whether the storage drawer gets so hot as to degrade the PTFE nonstick coating. So long as the drawer stays below 500F (cite), you should be fine. The one wrinkle which occurs to me is whether it's a self-cleaning oven. If so, I'd empty the drawer when running that cycle.

The question isn't just that, but what other damage or degradation may occur.

The oven isn't self cleaning, however, it seems that there's an open flame from the heating element of the oven. I should check that to be sure.

... Shel

BTW  those are great pans

if stored one 'in' the other, dont forget to put an old towel or something between them so as not to damage the finish.

We ALWAYS use separators.

Yes, I think they're pretty good.  I had one that lasted a L-O-N-G time, replaced the set, and then got another set for Toots.

Here's an interesting aside: the new pans are stamped "Dishwasher Safe" on the bottom.  The earlier pans were not recommended for the dishwasher.

I use paper towels between stacked non stick. Doesn't take up any room and cheap

Not to worry. In normal use that pan has flame on it directly (albeit on the bottom). If the pan can't stand some heat then it's not much of a pan, is it?

Edited to add that I looked at pan specs at the link you provided. It's oven-safe to 450F. If it can be in a 450 degree oven, it can be in the drawer below.

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Be sure there is no direct heat to the drawer.

As for storing ANYTHING that can burn - don't do it.

One of my neighbors stored her cookie sheets WITH parchment paper liners, in the drawer under her oven and they burned after the oven had been on for a couple of hours with a large turkey.

There was smoke escaping from the opening below the oven door and while there was no open flame, the parchment was dark brown with charred spots.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett