• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a pre-dessert

ninagluck

main will be a saddle of moose, porcini-gnocchi, safron pear

dessert: chocolat tart, curry-ice cream, caramelized pineapple, coconut tuile, pineapple air

I am seeking for somethig in between, any ideas?

maybe somethig with cheese in various textures?

thnx!

I once did a creme fraiche mousse (fitting to go after the moose) dusted with matcha tea powder sitting on a lemon tea cake base that was a nice transition. Also, I don't know your location, but if you can get decent strawberries, you can do strawberries drizzled with a traditional balsamic (the thick syrupy stuff) in a caramel lace bowl. The bowl always impresses people, and is simple to make - make a dark caramel, then with a whisk, drizzle either onto an inflated balloon, or a small bowl (slightly oiled). either slowly deflate the balloon (with a pin near the knot where the rubber is thickest) or just slide the caramel bowl out of the oiled bowl when cool.

• Like 1

I third the idea of the salad. Nice transition between the rich and complex flavors. If you want to incorporate cheese, you could garnish with a cheese crostini.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

thnx for your suggestions, but salad will be a part of the cold starter (which i did not mention) I am doing a 7 course dinner.

being in vienna, we don' really have strawberry season ;-) but I like the idea of the creme fraiche mousse with matcha powder, maybe with some dried fruits and a savory shortbread?

Well, I for one would "fourth" the idea of a salad course before your dessert, even if you say you have planned for a salad in the cold-starters stage. Perhaps a different salad combination - a light greens one, with a light (very light) dressing, or a fruit-based one - a raspberry-type, maybe?. I for one would be for more vegetables in one's meal. The creme fraiche mousse, to me, is simply another dessert - so it becomes a dessert before dessert. (Full acknowledgement - I do not particularly care for desserts anyway, personally, and seldom - nay, RARELY - have dessert or any sweet thing in my meals whether dining out or at home. (You did ask for feedback)) (I hope that dessert you described is *one* dessert, on one plate, and not multiple desserts - if I were one of your diners, that is what I would hope, anyway. :-) )

• Like 1

How about a bit of remoulade? And maybe a small baked ricotta? That would give you the salad and the transition. The mustard in the remoulade would be a nice echo for the mousse, and a light cheese course would anticipate the composed dessert.

Or, how about remoulade with cheesy gougeres? Or a pear-Roquefort Madeleine?

How much time do you anticipate allowing between the end of the main and the beginning of the dessert? I ask because both courses look very "serious" and on the filling side. If I were to put anything at all between the two courses, it would have to be small, simple, and very light--even ethereal. To riff on your post, I'm thinking of a small (~15 g) piece of cheese, perhaps a cave-aged Gruyere; a couple of neutral crackers; a few small pieces of tart dried fruit; and some green tea syrup.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'd be tempted to go with small cups (if you have stemmed shot glasses, they're perfect for this) of zabaglione, perhaps with a hint of amaretto. Just enough to tease the palate and clean it from dinner.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)