• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Foods in opening in Brooklyn

Franci

That's nice and convenient for days you don't have time to go to many different shops. I have a feeling you'll end up doing your regular shopping at other shops, though. WF is expensive and doesn't always have a lot of variety. It's nice to have another store in your block though!

Definitely not shopping there for all my needs, my husband was all excited there was this salumi producer from Pennsylvania selling his own products, I didn't see what he got and at home I saw this soppressata with grey/black mold on it :unsure: I'm going to leave it all to him :rolleyes:

And he got this kimchi to try, horrible. Our cheap veg place on Court, korean owned, does fabulous kimchi in comparison. But still, their fish is the best looking and more varied around here and although some of the vegetables are very expensive, I can find in one place stuff that are to find elsewhere. Still very happy is going to be around the corner from my house.

• Like 2

Anyone who thinks whole foods is more expensive, in general, than any other shopping in NYC, just doesn't shop here in NYC, and isn't taking into account what it costs in time and dollars to go to 5 different stores to save $1/lb. on things.

As I'm sure I've stated numerous times in various threads, there are plenty of things at WF (e.g. dairy products) which are cheaper than anywhere else.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Are there many WF stores in NYC, weinoo? I've only been there on vacation and never went in a grocery while there.

Shops at the Jersey Shore were high, but they are a vacation economy. So, I would shop at Shop Rite when we stayed for two weeks in Stone Harbor every summer and buy produce from the stands. Jersey corn and tomatoes. Yum.

• Like 1

Are there many WF stores in NYC, weinoo? I've only been there on vacation and never went in a grocery while there.

Shops at the Jersey Shore were high, but they are a vacation economy. So, I would shop at Shop Rite when we stayed for two weeks in Stone Harbor every summer and buy produce from the stands. Jersey corn and tomatoes. Yum.

There are enough (6 or 7, with more to come) including one I walk to.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Solar panels and wind generators in the parking lot

image.jpg

Paisano is still cheaper for my loved bone marrow split lenghtwise

image.jpg

I wanted to take a picture of the fish counter. Next time.

Edited by Franci (log)

The Whole Foods stores that I've driven to and parked in their lots do not charge for parking, or if they are in a shared lot, they validate the parking ticket for up to 90 minutes (the stores I'm referring to are in DC).

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I shop at WF in Fairfield, CT for most things. When they first opened about 4 years ago I was shocked by how much cheaper organic milk and eggs were compared to Stop and Shop. The produce at WF was slightly more expensive (.10 per pound for apples) but the quality was obviously worth that difference. The meat is considerably more expensive, but I'm willing to pay the difference to avoid more industrialized production. On quality alone the difference with fish is worth it.

For staples like kids snacks, paper goods, etc, it's Stop and Shop.

To be sure, if I am nearby I will stop at the excellent Saugatuck Craft Butcher for meats. But that's a splurge.

If you are interested in buy one get one deals on pork tenderloin or such WF can't compete on price. But for dairy and produce, I'd say WF wins.

If you are interested in buy one get one deals on pork tenderloin or such WF can't compete on price. But for dairy and produce, I'd say WF wins.

I've been saying that for years...though sometimes even WF surprises with their sales.

Also, for an NYC shopper, they're one of the few outlets for things like King Arthur flours, Ortiz Spanish products (anchovies, tuna, etc.) and other high-end stuff I like to throw in my basket. And big surprise - the WF where I shop has an amazing beer selection, good charcuterie, nice breads from a lot of different bakers, roasts coffee in house...I imagine the new Brooklyn store is all this and more.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

there was a ref. I think I made to WF, Fairway, etc in NYC for pricing out "Thanksgiving Dinner"

around that time. its worth a read. WF did much better than I expected.

also in Yest. NYTimes a ref to WF expanding in small markets:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/business/whole-foods-finds-success-in-smaller-cities.html?_r=0

also interesting reading. My Beef with them is that they took over Bread and Circus in my area and pretty much destroyed it for

profit. very few bulk items now compared to B&S. but as they say, B&S had their chance and seems to have lost it.

many thanks Franci for the pics. We ( I ) love pics.

Edited by rotuts (log)

The new whole foods in park slope does not charge for parking. I has 240 spots from what I was told.

In regards to pricing, yes there are a few items that are higher but I find that is the case as many supermarkets in NYC. As a native New Yorker, I have just come to accept that as a cost of living in NYC.

Yes, I can go to my corner Associated supermarket and get chicken legs for 69 cents a pound from some battery chicken plant, go to fairway and get bell and evans kosher legs for 89 cents a pound, go to WF and pay 1.49 a pound for organic air chilled legs, or to the farmers market or heritage meats and pay 2.25 a pound for a chicken with a name. It is all a matter of what you are looking for and willing to pay/consume.

• Like 1

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Sorry, that was for chicken legs as an example. For whole chickens I have seen them as low as 1.99 a pound for a perdue up to 7 bucks a pound for a heritage breed.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I do my DuoGrill when the 'organic' stop & shop go for 0.99 $/lbs

no reason for the organic, but they seem to be trying to establish the S&S brand of organic. they also run 4 lbs total

Frank's 'Roid birds seem to be 5 lbs + min. too big for vertical chicken.