• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chopped Canada

Pam R

Chopped Canada starts in a couple of weeks. From the blurb on the website, I'm assuming it will follow the American version pretty closely. Looks like they have some good hosts lined up.

Will you watch? Will you try to compete?

I plan on watching it but I looked to see where the contestants were from and stopped partway through. There is a very, very heavy representation of chefs from Toronto and nary a one to be found from Ottawa, where I live. I stopped counting when I counted 13 from Toronto, three from Montreal, 2 from Calgary and contestants from places as diverse as Kamloops, BC, Stratford, Guelph and Claresholm, AB. Claresholm, AB, really? I mean good for them but again, I repeat, none from Ottawa? So, it is not as interesting to me as it might have been.

Elsie, I'll check it out too. Of course, Winnipeg (or Manitoba) isn't exactly represented in the contestant pool. But this is just the first batch, right? Assuming it continues, perhaps they'll get more participants from outside TO. Who knows, maybe they had few applicants from other areas? Maybe it's a FTVC thing -- like having all seasons of Top Chef film there. Maybe you should apply. :wink:

Is it filmed in Toronto? The US version is filmed in NYC and the majority of chefs are from that area. I wonder if travel costs are paid? If not, that could cause the skewing.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Pam, will you try to get a spot?

Nope! Too much pressure for me -- I'm a nervous wreck when I'm cooking my own, practiced recipes on TV or in front of an audience. Don't know if I could take the pressure of thinking on my feet.

Allura -- that's what I assume, that it's filmed in TO and it would make sense if most of the contestants are from there.

Edited by Pam R (log)
  • Like 2

Elsie, I'll check it out too. Of course, Winnipeg (or Manitoba) isn't exactly represented in the contestant pool. But this is just the first batch, right? Assuming it continues, perhaps they'll get more participants from outside TO. Who knows, maybe they had few applicants from other areas? Maybe it's a FTVC thing -- like having all seasons of Top Chef film there. Maybe you should apply. :wink:

HaHaHaHa

My nephew-by-marriage is one of the cameramen on that show. It is filmed in Toronto. I'll have to ask him how the contestants were chosen as I can see travel $$$ being a factor for a lots of chefs but less so for Ottawa chefs as it's not that far. I wish I had thought of that last Friday as we had lunch at a restaurant owned by a well known Ottawa chef who is fairly plugged in and I could have asked him if he knew anything.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...