• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

gfweb

Review of Anova, Sansaire and Nomiku

Anna N   

Serious Eats reviews Anova, Sansaire, and Nomiku circulators.....

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-circulator-review-sansaire-nomiku-anova.html

Thanks for posting this link. I was surprised by two things:

A) rating them on speed to reach temperature as this is really easily addressed by starting with hotter water and hence pretty minor

And

B) not making a much bigger issue about the minimal leeway between min and max water level on the Nomiku which is major.

I can't say much about the Sansaire as I don't own one but to me the water level leeway on the Anova makes me reach for it over the Nomiku for any lengthy cooking times, i.e. over 2 hours. Just my 2 cents.

weedy   

I still don't know why the Polyscience lower priced units were excluded from the comparison.

but on the whole, the Anova seems to be the winner.

especially when one factours in both the lawsuit and the current unavailability of the Sansaire.

What did NOT emerge in the review was a compelling reason to wait to buy it.

gfweb   

Yeah, at $199 it won't go much lower and beats the price of used lab circulators on eBay. Only DIY is cheaper.

Hello,

I've just joined this forum that I discovered this morning, and that thread convinced me to buy an ANOVA unit, I've just placed my order.

So I look forward to posting my comments here.

Cheers to everyone.

• Like 1

ash   

especially when one factours in both the lawsuit and the current unavailability of the Sansaire.

what is the lawsuit about?

gfweb   

Polyscience says Sansaire infringes on its patents.

ChrisZ   

Are there any other articles that compare the Anova and Sansaire?  I am intending to buy one or the other when they're available.

While the serious eats article is very useful, I'd like to hear more comments from people who've tested them side-by-side.  Also, as someone living in Australia, I'd like to compare the shipping costs too.

I was going to buy the Anova because it comes in red, but it looks like they've sold out of red (or are international versions black only?)  Then my wife said she thought the Sansaire looked better, so I went to buy the Sansaire but they're sold out, and the website has no information about international shipping costs.

So while I'm waiting for the Sansaires and the red Anovas to come back in stock, are there any other comments or reviews on them both?

Beusho   

I own the Anova and have used the Sansaire. My opinion: Anova hands down. The clip on the back attaches tightly to thicker coolers (my favorite sous vide vessel, retains heat without the hassle of MacGyvering a cambro) and like the review said you can move the cooler with the Anova attached at BBQs without concern it's going to tilt or fall in. I like that Anova is an established company, their customer feedback is top notch, that and they're not dealing with Polyscience lawsuits. One thing that I think that's often overlooked is the adjustable circulator. You can point the jet of water in any direction. This can be used to keep bags submerged at bottom, I've used this to make chicken noodles from Chefsteps. Polyscience has this capability on their circulators as well, Sansaire does not. I like that you can take off the protecting cage and clean it, it's stainless steel as opposed to the Sansaire so I feel more safe that if falls it may leave a dent rather than cracking the whole housing. 

• Like 1

What did NOT emerge in the review was a compelling reason to wait to buy it.

The only reason I can think of is the hints they're dropping of a an even better version.

weedy   

I own the Anova and have used the Sansaire. My opinion: Anova hands down. The clip on the back attaches tightly to thicker coolers (my favorite sous vide vessel, retains heat without the hassle of MacGyvering a cambro) and like the review said you can move the cooler with the Anova attached at BBQs without concern it's going to tilt or fall in. I like that Anova is an established company, their customer feedback is top notch, that and they're not dealing with Polyscience lawsuits. One thing that I think that's often overlooked is the adjustable circulator. You can point the jet of water in any direction. This can be used to keep bags submerged at bottom, I've used this to make chicken noodles from Chefsteps. Polyscience has this capability on their circulators as well, Sansaire does not. I like that you can take off the protecting cage and clean it, it's stainless steel as opposed to the Sansaire so I feel more safe that if falls it may leave a dent rather than cracking the whole housing. 

that sums it up nicely

ChrisZ   

Thanks Beusho for your reply, just what I was after.

To answer some of my own questions, the international version of the Anova is only available in black. So no red for me. And the shipping costs for both are the same = $80US each.

I'm tempted to buy the Anova now, but there's the odd rumour of a mkII coming soon so I'm tempted to wait a bit longer...

weedy   

contact them and ask!

but it's not like you'd be disappointed in the current model

lesliec   

but it's not like you'd be disappointed in the current model

Most unlikely!

ChrisZ, if you haven't already: have a look at the Anova topic.  Jeff from the company has recently asked about improvements/changes we'd like to see in the hypothetical (or not) MkII.

• Similar Content

• By eG Forums Host
      Introduction

Welcome to the index for the Sous Vide: Recipes, Techniques, & Equipment topic, one of the largest and most influential topics on eG Forums. (The topic has been closed to keep the index stable and reliable; you can find another general SV discussion topic here.) This index is intended to help you navigate the thousands of posts and discussions to make this rich resource more useful and accessible.

In order to understand sous vide cooking, it's best to clear up some misconceptions and explain some basics. Sous vide cooking involves vacuum-sealing food in a plastic bag and cooking it in a water bath at precise temperatures. Though it translates literally as "under vacuum," "Sous vide" is often taken to mean "under pressure," which is a misnomer; not all SV cooking involves food cooked in conditions that exceed atmospheric pressure. (See below.) In addition, calculations for SV cooking involve not only time and temperature but also thickness. Finally, due to the anaerobic conditions inside the bag and the low temperatures used, food safety issues are paramount.

You can read the basics of SV cooking and equipment here. In the summer of 2005, Nathan Myhrvold (Society member nathanm) posted this informative, "I'm now going to answer my own initial questions" post, which addresses just about everything up to that point. For what came next, read on -- and be sure to order Nathan Myhrvold's highly anticipated Modernist Cuisine book, due in spring 2011.

As with all indexes of on-going discussions, this one has limitations. We've done our best to create a user-friendly taxonomy emphasizing the categories that have come up repeatedly. In addition, the science, technology, and recipes changed over time, and opinions varied greatly, so be sure to read updated information whenever possible.

Therefore, we strongly encourage you to keep these issues in mind when reading the topic, and particularly when considering controversial topics related to food safety, doneness, delta T cooking, and so on. Don't read a first post's definitive claim without reading down the topic, where you'll likely find discussion, if not heated debate or refutation, of that claim. Links go to the first post in a series that may be discontinuous, so be sure to scan a bit more to get the full discussion.

Recipes were chosen based solely on having a clear set of information, not on merit. Indeed, we've included several stated failures for reference. Where possible, recipes include temperature and time in the link label -- but remember that thickness is also a crucial variable in many SV preparations. (See below for more information on thickness.)

History, Philosophy & Value of SV/LTLT Cooking

Over the years, we've talked quite a bit about SV as a concept, starting with this discussion about how SV cooking got started. There have also been several people who asked, Why bother with SV in the first place? (See also this discussion.) What with all the electronics and plastic bags, we asked: Does SV food lack passion? Finally, there have been several discussions about the value of SV cooking in other eG Forums topics, such as the future of SV cooking, No More Sous Vide -- PLEASE!, is SV "real cooking," and what's the appeal of SV?

Those who embrace SV initially seek ideas about the best applications for their new equipment. Discussions have focused on what a first SV meal should be -- see also this discussion -- and on the items for which SV/LTLT cooking is best suited. There's much more along those lines here, here, and here.

Vacuums and Pressure in Sous Vide Cooking

As mentioned above, there has been great confusion about vacuums, pressure, and their role SV cooking. Here is a selection of discussion points on the subject, arranged chronologically; please note that later posts in a given discussion may refute earlier ones:

Do you need a vacuum for SV cooking, and, if so, why? What exactly is a "vacuum"? Click here, here, and ff. Are items in vacuum-sealed bags "under pressure"? Does a vacuum sealer create a vacuum inside the bag? Do you really need a vacuum, or can you use ZipLoc bags? Also see here, here, and here. If "sous vide" means "under pressure," aren't the items in the bag under pressure? There is more along these lines to be found in this discussion.  

The Charts

We've collected the most important of many charts in the SV topic here. Standing above the rest are Nathan Myhrvold's charts for cooking time versus thickness and desired core temperature. We worked with him to create these three reformatted protein tables, for beef, fish, and chicken & pork.

Nathan provides additional information on his charts here. Information on how to read these charts can be found in this post. For an explanation of "rest time" in Nathan's tables, click here.

Other Society members helped out as well. Douglas Baldwin references his heating time table for different geometric factors (slab/cylinder/sphere) here; the pdf itself can be found here. pounce created a post with all three tables as neatly formatted images. derekslager created two monospace font charts of Nathan's meat table and his fish table.

Camano Chef created a cumulative chart with information gathered from other sources including Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc. Douglas Baldwin shared this chart devoted to pasteurizing poultry. PedroG detailed heat loss and steady state energy consumption of sous vide cookers in these charts.

Finally, there is also an eG Forums topic on cooling rates that may be of interest.

Acknowledgment & Comments

This index was built by Chris Amirault, Director, eG Forums. It was reviewed by the eGullet Society volunteer team as well as many Society members. Please send questions or comments to Chris via messenger or email.

• By Paul Bacino
      Wonder if someone could get me in the ballpark..the amount of Transglutamase...to make scallop noodles..    %  I mean

ill use a food processor..to purée the scallop..  then inject into a water or broth..to cook?
    • By TomRahav
      Hi,
      I've tried to make the spherical mussels recipe from the Modernist Cuisine books and it didn't work as I expected, so I would appreciate any advice that may help here.
      The recipe calls for calcium gluconate which I couldn't get hold of, so I replaced it with calcium lactate gluconate that I had at home. I used the same ration (2.5%)
      When I tried to create the spheres in the sodium alginate bath I encountered two main problems;
      1. instead of spheres the mixture just stayed as uneven shape on the surface. The bath was 1Kg. water with 5gr. sodium alginate and I let it rest in the fridge for 24 hours before using it so I think the problem is not here. However, the mussels jus mixture (100gr. mussels jus, 0.5gr. xanthin gum and and 2.5gr. calcium lactate gluconate) had a lot of air bubbles in it. Can that be the issue?
      2. In the book the spheres seem to be completely transparent whereas my mussels jus mixture was pretty white and opaque. Is it because I replaced calcium gluconate with calcium lactate gluconate? Or maybe it's because the jus itself should be clarified before it is used?
      Thanks in advance for your support,
      Tom.
    • By chriswrightcycles
      Good afternoon everyone!

I currently own a MiniPack MVS31x chamber style vacuum sealer and am wondering if a Polycience vacuum canister will work in my machine? The intended use is for making a larger batch of aerated mousse. 
    • By boombonniewhale
      Hello! I was wondering if anyone on here has tried using an induction cooktop with confection making (caramels, fondant, marshmallows ect...). My stove has literally three settings, and the low setting still burns sugar and there is no such thing as maintaining any sort of "simmer". I was looking into getting a cooktop and buying some copper sugar pots and mauviel makes this thing that goes inbetween. I would love to hear any input into this idea or your experiences!

~Sarah