Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Don't count on it, my dear.  And I can quote you several variations on that theme....LOL.

 

As could any mom or wife ;)  "What were you thinking?" - totally ridiculous question. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Relationships are all about adjustments, right? :P

 

When my ex and I were first together, I dropped and broke a lot of jars because of those differences. Personally, when I put the lid on a jar, I tighten it immediately. My ex, OTOH, would *set* the lid on the jar, but had the reflexive habit of tightening the lid before picking it up. For those who've never had the experience, a loose cap often holds just enough of the jar's thread to lift it from the counter and set it in motion before letting go.
 

...much like our differing views on which stage of the clothes-laundering process was the correct time to check and empty pockets...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Relationships are all about adjustments, right? :P

 

When my ex and I were first together, I dropped and broke a lot of jars because of those differences. Personally, when I put the lid on a jar, I tighten it immediately. My ex, OTOH, would *set* the lid on the jar, but had the reflexive habit of tightening the lid before picking it up. For those who've never had the experience, a loose cap often holds just enough of the jar's thread to lift it from the counter and set it in motion before letting go.
 

...much like our differing views on which stage of the clothes-laundering process was the correct time to check and empty pockets...

I'm embarrassed to admit that I think I know what you are talking about. My husband has a tendency to "half-screw" the lid just enough so that I am going to grab said lid, a recipe for accidents. Now I ask him to simply leave the lid off and I'll put the jar away.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm very glad to know I'm not the only person who's had a fingertip encounter with the slicer. It grew back, but the nerves in it are still a little wonky. 

I still have the scar up my forearm from the burnt caramel icing incident at 12, though the horizontal burns across my inner forearms from sheet pans faded finally. 

And my toe is still not happy about the pound of sausage that leapt from the freezer yesterday. I was just glad it wasn't anything larger. 

  • Sad 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AlexandraLynch said:

 

And my toe is still not happy about the pound of sausage that leapt from the freezer yesterday. I was just glad it wasn't anything larger. 

I'll see your pound of sausage and raise you a frozen chicken.

  • Haha 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again make ice cream in a hurricane.

 

Either the door blew open and your ingredients went flying out.....or you lost power. Sounds like NJ got hit pretty hard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Katie Meadow said:

Either the door blew open and your ingredients went flying out.....or you lost power. Sounds like NJ got hit pretty hard. 

 

Both actually.  I neglected to bolt the door.  Blast freezers don't do well without electricity.

 

I was not expecting the weather that we got.  But after the storm passed it was a lovely, clear, sunny summer evening...until the sun went down and I sat with a camp lantern reading The Economist.  Snuggling with a Party Size Pandemic Size bag of Cape Cod potato chips.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Maybe this isn't the right place, but I don't know WTF I was thinking when I told the contractor redoing our kitchen that he could use our bathroom while he's here. Now it feels like I have to call one of those crime scene/natural disaster clean-up services to make things right again.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

Maybe this isn't the right place, but I don't know WTF I was thinking when I told the contractor redoing our kitchen that he could use our bathroom while he's here. Now it feels like I have to call one of those crime scene/natural disaster clean-up services to make things right again.

 

Wow. I spent most of my career in commercial construction in high end buildings and remodeled several of my own homes. In the commercial setting trust me the building engineers would have let me know. They would call me in the middle of the night when crews in occupied areas were working if something as trivial as a radio was on - really the accountants at RBZ are working at 2 am and ya could not ask the painters to turn it off?!?    That shocks me. Sorry for your trauma. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bake bread at 10pm after sleepless nights and think I could lie down for 5 minutes. Not burned - but bricks were created. Running them under cold water for a bit and putting in toaster oven revived almost all but STOOPID idea. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, heidih said:

Sorry for your trauma.

 

Trauma is probably way too strong a word, especially in this time of COVID etc. This is more the wife complaining "I don't really want to use that gas station bathroom on this road trip", only we aren't driving anywhere and are now living in the gas station. Maybe I can put a lock on the door and attach the key to a hub cap or bowling ball or something to make getting in there more of a pain.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...