• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

I shall never again attempt to serve my husband a time critical expensive (for us) meal on a work night. 

I bought some beautiful Rib Eye Steaks, good inch and half thick, $50 per KG. Really wanted to treat him and use my preciously hoarded fresh green peppercorns (biatch to find out here) to make a sauce seeing as I have been in suck a cooking slump lately - lotta noodles been happening. 

Decided to try the 'Reverse Sear' method I have been intrigued by recently, now I have finally procured thick enough steaks. All calculations mean I should have dinner on the table 15 minutes after he walks in like the perfect house wife I am xD. Half an hour in to getting the steaks up to temp in the oven - 'Bing' goes the phone "Serious incident at work going to be late". 

It's an hour and a half over my projected serve time and he is still at work (over an hour away). The steak will have to be reheated :(. The sauce is a bit congealed and ucky looking. And I am oscillating between finding my failure hilarious and quiet rage at the waste. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

At our Thanksgiving, last October, I had a similar thing happen except it was a lavish meal for 12 as opposed to steaks for two (not to minimize your plight, please understand...your two gorgeous steaks and green peppercorns probably cost just as much). Since it was the big holiday meal I'd originally planned for arrivals at 2 and serving at 3, but thanks to a revolving comedy of errors and misunderstandings it was nearly 7 when we sat down to the meal. 

I was not a happy camper. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

...try to get through a bread recipe without changing the batteries in the kitchen scale if it starts acting wonky. The Hawaiian rolls bear only a slim resemblance to what they're supposed to look and taste like.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 1 month later...

Hi, it's me again.

This evening I acquired a couple of kilos of Parmigiano Reggiano.  It had been shipped with an ice pack but after customs and agricultural inspection got through with it the package arrived a little warm.  So my first priority was to fit the cheese in the refrigerator.  No trivial task.

I emptied out the middle shelf of the refrigerator onto kitchen surfaces.  What was taking all the space?  I shall never again hoard years (decades?) of unused Parmesan rinds.  Wrapped in little bags, 605 grams total.  (Which does not count the rinds I'm still working on.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Hi, it's me again.

This evening I acquired a couple of kilos of Parmigiano Reggiano.  It had been shipped with an ice pack but after customs and agricultural inspection got through with it the package arrived a little warm.  So my first priority was to fit the cheese in the refrigerator.  No trivial task.

I emptied out the middle shelf of the refrigerator onto kitchen surfaces.  What was taking all the space?  I shall never again hoard years (decades?) of unused Parmesan rinds.  Wrapped in little bags, 605 grams total.  (Which does not count the rinds I'm still working on.)

Does anyone actually use leftover rinds.  I have my own little collection...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Wrapped in little bags, 605 grams total.  (Which does not count the rinds I'm still working on.)

Make Parmesan broth.

That’s one recipe but there are many others.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Apparently I don't.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

I do. But being just one person I can only use so many. They will improve many, many soups. Just toss a few in the soup pot.  Think umami. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Darienne said:

I toss mine into risotto when I add the rice at the beginning and fish them out before serving. They add a nice flavor to the finished risotto. I also put them into slow cooked pasta sauces.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

I do. But being just one person I can only use so many. They will improve many, many soups. Just toss a few in the soup pot.  Think umami. 

Rachael Ray, on her syndicated cooking/talk show, swears by the rinds. She adds them to every soup or broth she makes on the the show.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

27 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Rachael Ray, on her syndicated cooking/talk show, swears by the rinds. She adds them to every soup or broth she makes on the the show.

They certainly bring something extra to many soups and broths.   When my husband was alive I would throw them in to the soup and he would beg me not to take them out before serving.  Provided we did not have company he would fish them out and scrape them across his teeth to get the very last bit of cheese from the rind.  Takes all kinds.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/1/2018 at 10:10 AM, Darienne said:

I keep them until they turn moldy then throw them out.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I didn't even know rinds could turn moldy.  I better check, the ones in my fridge have been there for years.  

When I remember, I throw them in with the polenta.

I'm going to try broth though, then I can boil it down and freeze it.  

Line my bread baking pan with baking paper inserted the wrong way up. I now have an otherwise beautifully baked loaf, with paper welded to its base and sides.

In my defence, this was a new batch of baking paper which is side specific. The last lot I used was non-welding either side.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Line my bread baking pan with baking paper inserted the wrong way up. I now have an otherwise beautifully baked loaf, with paper welded to its base and sides.

In my defence, this was a new batch of baking paper which is side specific. The last lot I used was non-welding either side.

Good heavens.  I didn't even know there was side specific baking paper.  You won't do that one again....

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Good heavens.  I didn't even know there was side specific baking paper.

Neither did I. 

During the post mortem, I read the blurb on the box and it doesn't mention it.

But my bread isn't totally destroyed. I just have to cut of the crusts as if  I am some tooth-less ancient.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Wow. That is new to me. The only liner that I use in the kitchen that is side specific is nonstick aluminum foil. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Basically regular foil, but one side is treated with (I believe) silicone, making it a sort of metallic parchment. Seems to work, though I've only used it a couple of times.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning