• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Darienne

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Just now, liuzhou said:

But not desirability, I hope!

That, too. 

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

That, too. 

Well, I won't mourn just yet for shattering your dreams. When you find my tear drop plates or bowl are in every local trashy, factory  clearance store or yard sale, then I'll apologise. maybe. Possibly not. {insert appropriate emoji}.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Well, I won't mourn just yet for shattering your dreams. When you find my tear drop plates or bowl are in every local trashy, factory  clearance store or yard sale, then I'll apologise. maybe. Possibly not. {insert appropriate emoji}.

You are not to blame. It wasn’t you who provided the link to Amazon!   Nor is it you who has this strange character trait. There are some things that attract me only so long as I cannot have them.:o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

There are some things that attract me only so long as I cannot have them.

Story of my life! But, I might be getting slight off the culinary topic!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I had no idea what Tillandsia was but came up with the logical explanation that it must be Canadian for "tea strainer". Google disillusioned me. I hate Google!

I've never come across bergamot here either.

Perhaps you were being sarcastic. It is an epiphytic plant from southern western hemisphere climates in the bromeliad family.  Common name = "air plant". Think the Spanish Moss hanging from oaks in the southern US.

Tillandsia can be quite small and used in all kinds of extremely silly decorative ways. Someone gave my MIL one that was perched on a ceramic head to look like hair. She had no idea it was supposed to be watered  or that it was even alive. Not that I blame her. She's 93. Even I didn't know what it was until I saw instructions underneath. Not a very good gift. Who wants to be responsible for keeping something else alive when you are 93?

@liuzhou as you no doubt know, bergamot citrus fruit flavors Earl Grey tea. I don't know where it is grown, but it has a very short season here in CA. That season is congruent (shorter, though) with Seville orange season here. That season is now, which is why we are making marmalade in March for the rest of the year. When available, we juice and zest a few bergamots along with the bitter oranges and it adds a very exotic taste. A little goes a long way, so I can't imagine wanting a marmalade that was primarily bergamot. Plus it would cost an arm and a leg....or a HAND. Frankly that copy about a "bergamot holder" in the Amazon listing must have been translated by someone from Jupiter. Bergamot is  dear, but it ain't THAT special that you would want display just one.

And I don't see wanting what you can't have as a strange character trait. I thought that was the point! Was I mistaken? Besides, if I had to name a strange character trait of yours it would be your corn phobia! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I lied.  But next time I will never again steam bake my chicken thigh an hour at 300F, but with the CSO actually set at 450F.  Probably.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2