• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Darienne

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

15 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Basically regular foil, but one side is treated with (I believe) silicone, making it a sort of metallic parchment. Seems to work, though I've only used it a couple of times.

Don’t use it often but like Ex-Lax it needs to be in the house.

• Haha 6

55 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Wow! I never heard of that either!

I use it all the time.

• Like 1

Just now, ElsieD said:

I use it all the time.

Me, too.  The non-stick foil, that is!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I don't really understand the point. I've never known foil that sticks.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

I don't really understand the point. I've never known foil that sticks.

Then you’re not cooking the right things.xD   Roasted vegetables will sometimes stick. Most things with a glaze tend to stick. At the moment I cannot bring to mind the one thing I make where this foil is essential. I’ll keep working on that. Sometimes of course it gets a lazy cook out of trouble. :$

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Then you’re not cooking the right things.xD   Roasted vegetables will sometimes stick. Most things with a glaze tend to stick. At the moment I cannot bring to mind the one thing I make where this foil is essential. I’ll keep working on that. Sometimes of course it gets a lazy cook out of trouble. :$

I have a roll of foil, but I've had it for a long time. Only really use it to keep my bread over browning on top (but I use the same piece for weeks before it falls apart) , or very occasionally to keep things warm/ rest.

I thought you could oil it to prevent sticking, no?

Anyway, roasting vegetables or anything else is not really a Chinese thing. I am probably the only person in a square mile or more who has an oven. I'd be surprised if there are more than 6 in the whole city.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Posted (edited)

I will never again make Alfredo sauce (pasta water, butter, parmesan) and leave it sitting to clean the next day in my Demeyere pan. Dried glue that needed a lot of effort to clean up. My bad for leaving it. And the whisk, it's a mess.

I may opt for a non-stick pan in the future. Or adding butter first,  then pasta water, then parm to allow the butter to coat the pan.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

I shall never again, I most fervently hope -- please sit down -- after last night's narrow avoidance of a confrontation with a most sharp knife, only today to stab myself with a fork.  A table fork, you know the ones that are not sharp.  I dropped the fork.  I went to catch it.  I caught it.  Through the forearm.  It's bleeding.  It hurts.

Perhaps it's time for me to stick to spoons and chopsticks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Perhaps it's time for me to stick to spoons and chopsticks.

I don't know - some of those chopsticks can be pretty aggressive!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I don't know - some of those chopsticks can be pretty aggressive!

I've stabbed myself with chopstick in the past. These ones, although I don't know which one hurt most. I've also read more than one report in the local press about arthritis being caused or, at least, exacerbated by chopstick use.

chopsticks.thumb.jpg.5270769445c693a0e9df966a80591188.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1