• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

I've been trying to get to the back of my pantry and use up older stuff.   I found 3 cans of La Fiamma diced tomatoes, pop top cans.   I was in the midst of making cream of tomato soup, so these were perfect.....Until I noticed the tops on all three were swelled up.   Uh oh.   Instead of chucking them right there, I thought it was a good idea (:wacko:) to empty them on the compost pile.   At least my splattered shirt will make it into the next full load of laundry in a few minutes, I will need to wash my hair again, also.

These cans weren't ancient, but they weren't recent either.   I'm no longer a fan of longterm canned items with the pop tops.

I did avert a possible explosion in the pantry though, so I've got that going for me, I guess.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I did avert a possible explosion in the pantry though, so I've got that going for me, I guess.

Amen to that last. The explosion over the compost heap and yourself is easier to clean up! Sorry to hear about the canned goods, though.

I once narrowly averted an explosion of a supposedly shelf-stable Tetrapacked feta cheese. I spotted one box expanded almost to the bursting point before it actually burst. I shudder to think of the odor and the damage to its surroundings if it had gone off before I found it!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

These cans weren't ancient, but they weren't recent either. 

Years ago I was under the impression that canned food would last until the apocalypse. I was disabused of this notion when I opened a can of whole beets to discover that they were almost white. I also had a can of pears that sprang a leak. That's not to even mention the condensed milk that had become almost DDL. At least now our canned goods are stamped with a best before date. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

That's not to even mention the condensed milk that had become almost DDL. 

I did look up DDL in a number of ways and found nothing useful.  Please define.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 minute ago, Darienne said:

I did look up DDL in a number of ways and found nothing useful.  Please define.

dulce de leche

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I was cleaning out a cabinet a while back, and found that a tube of chipotle paste had sprung a leak. The surprising thing was it happened so long ago, the goo had completely solidified and I was able to just chip it off the shelf and just had to clean a little residue with hot water. During the pandemic “lockdown” I got better at rotating things so the cabinets didn’t become like archeological digs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I can be fairly confident in proclaiming that I will never again cut myself on... sugar.

My GF likes the old-fashioned dark brown sugar on her oatmeal rather than the everyday "brilliant yellow" kind, so I went up the kitchen to fetch a small timbale of it for her. Turned out the grandkids had left the bag open (again!) so it was a collection of rock-hard lumps. I took a couple of lumps and broke them up with my fingers, and the second one turned out to have a sharp edge which made a nice little gash on the index finger of my right (dominant) hand.

Even my daughter, no slouch in the klutz department herself, had to concede that this was pretty special.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

I think I can be fairly confident in proclaiming that I will never again cut myself on... sugar.

My GF likes the old-fashioned dark brown sugar on her oatmeal rather than the everyday "brilliant yellow" kind, so I went up the kitchen to fetch a small timbale of it for her. Turned out the grandkids had left the bag open (again!) so it was a collection of rock-hard lumps. I took a couple of lumps and broke them up with my fingers, and the second one turned out to have a sharp edge which made a nice little gash on the index finger of my right (dominant) hand.

Even my daughter, no slouch in the klutz department herself, had to concede that this was pretty special.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

You'll be credited when I use that as the title of my autobiography. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

54 minutes ago, chromedome said:

You'll be credited when I use that as the title of my autobiography. :P

I like it.  

• Haha 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I will never again attempt to heat some jarred tomato pasta sauce in the microwave. Clean up continues.  

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Sad 9

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I will never again attempt to heat some jarred tomato pasta sauce in the microwave. Clean up continues.  

Having done more microwave cleaning than I signed up for, we now keep a plastic cover on top of the micro that we use EVERYTIME we use the oven.    It's a lot easier to wash.    FWIW, the n"cover" we use is one of those plastic bowl things that frozen meals come in.   Upsidedown, it fits over most bowls an small plates..

eGullet member #80.

5 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Having done more microwave cleaning than I signed up for, we now keep a plastic cover on top of the micro that we use EVERYTIME we use the oven.    It's a lot easier to wash.    FWIW, the n"cover" we use is one of those plastic bowl things that frozen meals come in.   Upsidedown, it fits over most bowls an small plates..

I use one of these.  I like it very much although it does require a wash between uses.  Theere is also a smaller size available.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Thanks. This was quite simply a case of putting engine in drive before neurons were engaged. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Butter is my microwave nemesis. I know this well.  I use a cover.  I choose a low setting. I stop and mix often. And yet....BOOM!...it's everywhere!

When I told @Kerry Bealabout my morning disaster she brought up butter as her microwave nemesis. Here's the thing - I know perfectly well that even heating tomato sauce on the stove top is likely to leave splatters everywhere if you are not very careful. When I ask myself what was I thinking the only answer is I was not. My microwave is old and noisy else I might've heard some action and stopped sooner. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/15/2023 at 2:11 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Butter is my microwave nemesis. I know this well.  I use a cover.  I choose a low setting. I stop and mix often. And yet....BOOM!...it's everywhere!

It takes a little longer but my new induction hot plate has low settings that are great for melting butter and chocolate

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

8 minutes ago, haresfur said:

It takes a little longer but my new induction hot plate has low settings that are great for melting butter and chocolate

That's a good point. I actually have a low simmer burner on my gas cooktop that will maintain a very low flame and should just use that. 

13 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

That's a good point. I actually have a low simmer burner on my gas cooktop that will maintain a very low flame and should just use that. 

I second that approach. I use the lowest setting on the smallest burner, with this flame tamer (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 weeks later...

Well, maybe I will, because I don't know what I did. I went to cook the mushrooms I bought the other day and there they were - nowhere!

I know I bought them because I photographed them.

BlackChickenFirMushrooms.thumb.jpg.9160f33947988a76d17e68aa48135483.jpg

I've searched the house and they ain't here! I can only guess I accidentally threw them in the trash, which I will try never to do again!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I've searched the house and they ain't here! I can only guess I accidentally threw them in the trash, which I will try never to do again!

Oh that is just wild. It is something I might do.  At least you have the proof that you did indeed buy them. Frequently I think I've bought something and the reality is I only thought I bought it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog