• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

At the start of COVID as store shelves were going bare I craved a bit of gruyere.  The only gruyere available was a whole, uncut brick.  At about $50.  That gruyere is still in my refrigerator, still uncut.

Someday I will develop the courage of my convictions.  Maybe.

Leave it uncut and hope/pretend that in time it qualifies as "aged gruyere".    Properly aged, the value increases in terms of months of age.   Maybe you have invested in an annuity.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

eGullet member #80.

9 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

That was very kind of you. Thin-skinned sisters unite!

...and wave a red banner!

• Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, haresfur said:

I will never again torch the barbie grilling Korean ribs.

I think they're done...

image.thumb.jpeg.4dc320fda48dba1b0fb51ec3adc33bed.jpeg

Oh sade First time I hd them home grilled it was at Taiwanese neighbor's and the wife made her husband sit in front of the little Hiibachi grill- squawking if he tried to walk away. Usually some sugar in the marinade...

7 hours ago, heidih said:

Oh sade First time I hd them home grilled it was at Taiwanese neighbor's and the wife made her husband sit in front of the little Hiibachi grill- squawking if he tried to walk away. Usually some sugar in the marinade...

Yeah, a fair bit of sugar and a fair bit of fat on the meat. I think my mistake was closing the lid and not cleaning the old grease out of the drip pan. Didn't take long for it to go from a few flair-ups to billowing flames.

• Sad 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

7 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Yeah, a fair bit of sugar and a fair bit of fat on the meat. I think my mistake was closing the lid and not cleaning the old grease out of the drip pan. Didn't take long for it to go from a few flair-ups to billowing flames.

My father had the flame problem. Us kids lved BBQ as he armed us with little water pistols to keep flames in check

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I shall never again settle down with my mai tai at the computer on an empty stomach, placing an order from Whole Foods.

And while I am at it I will never again persist in unscrewing the cap from a wine bottle that had already been opened.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again settle down with my mai tai at the computer on an empty stomach, placing an order from Whole Foods.

And while I am at it I will never again persist in unscrewing the cap from a wine bottle than had already been opened.

Goes right along with my vow to never attempt to open a wine bottle with a corkscrew when it has been closed with a glass stopper. 

• Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

How’s the pot?

The pot cleaned up fine.  The bottom was a seething black mass, but John cleaned it up just fine.^_^. Still pretty stinky in the place though.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I asked because a friend of our’s was making jam, went outside and got side tracked….yup, just about burned the house down. The pot was too badly burnt to save and there is a permanent blotch of burnt goo on the stove.

• Sad 5

My son was once into sugar cookery.  After about six months of scrubbing and running through the dishwasher the pot eventually came clean.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Pour myself a nice glass of Bordeaux and tip it into my keyboard. There may be a fewwinegeneratedtypos in this       post!

My posts sometimes suffer winegeneratedtypos but I can't blame my keyboard.

• Haha 6