• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

Take the liner out of my crockpot to wash and then place the lid with plastic clasps upside down on said crockpot while leaving the crockpot on low all night.

thumbnail_IMG_3411.jpg.0f9d569b0865fc3b073832623535f353.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3412.jpg.e7fd6580f97ec1c697b2383794e53ecc.jpg

Sigh

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 17

On 10/12/2022 at 11:10 AM, blue_dolphin said:

It is a pity that grocery store butchers aren't easy to find in these parts.  I really like going to a local international market because pretty much all their meat is behind the counter with a full staff (usually 4-6 people) on hand to cut and wrap to order. You have to take a number and wait your turn but very much worth the time.  Whole Foods and Sprouts both have people doing some cutting and wrapping but they're not particularly helpful with special requests. 

What cracked me up in @Smithy's hammer assist to cleaver scenario was the hammer. I thought she was joking

On store butchers - I was surprised at Ralphs this week (Kroeger) to see large signs in meat case and counter saying butchers will cut to order. Chinese market (99 Ranch) it is a giventhey would cut/saw.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Take the liner out of my crockpot to wash and then place the lid with plastic clasps upside down on said crockpot while leaving the crockpot on low all night.

thumbnail_IMG_3411.jpg.0f9d569b0865fc3b073832623535f353.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3412.jpg.e7fd6580f97ec1c697b2383794e53ecc.jpg

Sigh

Ouch! I am really good at melting things too. Most recent was moving a heavy sheet pan that I thought was cool enough off the counter to the floor. Melted a strip of the Berber carpet. Did nor even try to explain to landlord. Several years ago but I still want to scream "do-over please!". My original fiasco was cooking bacon in a heavy skillet with my cousin before grandparents got up, burning it, and then thinking holding the smoking skillet up to open kitchen window was a  good idea. Melted the nylon sheers. Equally brilliantly we thought running away from home was the next step. She found us couple miles away after few hours. Have hated those types of window coverings since then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I shall never again attempt to open a bottle of ten year aged balsamic the day after I mopped the floor.  However I must admit my kitchen smells lovely now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again attempt to open a bottle of ten year aged balsamic the day after I mopped the floor.  However I must admit my kitchen smells lovely now.

Crazy like a fox, you are. You either find the silver lining or you really make it rain

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I will never again use guar gum to tighten up lemon curd.   Gooey mess.   

Can it be salvaged to pie filling by mixing in evaporated milk?  Or ???????

Freeze and spin it in a Pacojet or Ninja CREAMi?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again be astonished at finding an insect in my freezer.  It was frozen as solid as the racoon I passed on my way to work.

It's a good thing that you don't live in Costa Rica. I find all kinds of things in my freezers. In fact, come to think of it, I found my car keys there one time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Can I post more than one stupid mistake? I hope so. Started out with my pork butt yielding way less than I expected. Okay not really stupid, I can deal with that. Started on my mac and cheese (this is a dinner for my nephew who is turning twenty-five. There will be 8 of us but the three mid-20's guys apparently all eat for two.) My mac and cheese is the serious eats recipe using sodium citrate, I've made it several times. Well, this time it turned out like cheese water with strands of cheese. I had the sodium citrate out, and then put it away which is my loosey goosey mis en place method. Now I am doubting myself as to whether I added it before I put it away. McGivered it somewhat, by straining out the watery part, saving the cheese strings. I know I should have just started over but it was nearly 2 pounds of old cheddar. Mixed it all up and will let it sit and decide if I saved it or not in a couple of hours. Thank heavens, I had not added the very dear Gruyere that I splashed on. Then nephew (who is staying with us and for whom the celebration is) came up and said that he was feeling really unwell so would stay away from us for the time being. Texted my RN daughter with his symptoms and she says that it sounds like RSV, which her partner has recently come down with. So party of 8 could potentially be a party of 5. Oh, and did I mention that I cut my thumb on the lid of a can? I thought it had stopped bleeding but just realized that I had bled on the fabric that I bought to make my daughters aprons for Christmas. Perhaps I will retire early and start again tomorrow.

• Sad 9

30 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Can I post more than one stupid mistake? I hope so. Started out with my pork butt yielding way less than I expected. Okay not really stupid, I can deal with that. Started on my mac and cheese (this is a dinner for my nephew who is turning twenty-five. There will be 8 of us but the three mid-20's guys apparently all eat for two.) My mac and cheese is the serious eats recipe using sodium citrate, I've made it several times. Well, this time it turned out like cheese water with strands of cheese. I had the sodium citrate out, and then put it away which is my loosey goosey mis en place method. Now I am doubting myself as to whether I added it before I put it away. McGivered it somewhat, by straining out the watery part, saving the cheese strings. I know I should have just started over but it was nearly 2 pounds of old cheddar. Mixed it all up and will let it sit and decide if I saved it or not in a couple of hours. Thank heavens, I had not added the very dear Gruyere that I splashed on. Then nephew (who is staying with us and for whom the celebration is) came up and said that he was feeling really unwell so would stay away from us for the time being. Texted my RN daughter with his symptoms and she says that it sounds like RSV, which her partner has recently come down with. So party of 8 could potentially be a party of 5. Oh, and did I mention that I cut my thumb on the lid of a can? I thought it had stopped bleeding but just realized that I had bled on the fabric that I bought to make my daughters aprons for Christmas. Perhaps I will retire early and start again tomorrow.

On the bright side, good color choice for the aprons.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you have any spinach?

Would romaine work? Thanks so much JoNorvelleWalker for making me laugh! This has just been one of those days where you think WhyTF did I even get out of bed?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks for the support and suggestions. I just taste tested it and it is very cheesy and delicious, but quite tight, so considering that I planned to bake it tomorrow, I was thinking I'd make a light bechamel with the gruyere that was supposed to be dispersed within the dish. I will try the vinegar in my cooks/trial bowl, I've not heard of that but thank you.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Thanks for the support and suggestions. I just taste tested it and it is very cheesy and delicious, but quite tight, so considering that I planned to bake it tomorrow, I was thinking I'd make a light bechamel with the gruyere that was supposed to be dispersed within the dish. I will try the vinegar in my cooks/trial bowl, I've not heard of that but thank you.

At the start of COVID as store shelves were going bare I craved a bit of gruyere.  The only gruyere available was a whole, uncut brick.  At about $50.  That gruyere is still in my refrigerator, still uncut.

Someday I will develop the courage of my convictions.  Maybe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1