• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

On 7/30/2022 at 2:59 PM, heidih said:

My potato misadventure was less stinky. Recently a sweet potato. I knew it was there but was having an issue about oven use with step mom in town. I wanted it roasted and skin bit crispy. Anyway it was in the pantry which is a closet with a door - cool and dark. Yup - sprouted quite vigorously at some point. l was raised to think the sprouts rendered the potato no good. So I cut part off and stuck it in a jar of water. It is looking quite grateful for its new situation. (yes those are insect skeletons on the sill - I have a spider in the upper corner that performs pest control for me. Sorry for the neck strain...

IMG_1826.JPG

I took my sprouted sweet potato, cut the end with the sprouts off, and plunked it in a glass.  This is it right now.  I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with this I did it just for fun.  What do you do with it?

20220814_140444.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I took my sprouted sweet potato, cut the end with the sprouts off, and plunked it in a glass.  This is it right now.  I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with this I did it just for fun.  What do you do with it?

20220814_140444.jpg

Probably the same thing you do with a sprouted avocado.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@ElsieD 

enjoy it for a while .

its a bit of fun.

when it no longer listens to you

( or starts to smell a little off )

Composte it .  

that not the same a trashing it .

you will feel good about it.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

20220814_140444.jpg

The vine is quite a pretty houseplant and depending on the lighting, it can grow for a good while.  You can pinch it back if it starts getting too leggy. I’ve always stuck toothpicks in the potato to prop it up like this and leave more room for the roots but maybe that’s not necessary. Change the water a couple times a week or whenever it gets cloudy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The vine is quite a pretty houseplant and depending on the lighting, it can grow for a good while.  You can pinch it back if it starts getting too leggy. I’ve always stuck toothpicks in the potato to prop it up like this and leave more room for the roots but maybe that’s not necessary. Change the water a couple times a week or whenever it gets cloudy. 

I have a planter on the balcony.  I tried growing garlic in it last fall and looked forward to harvesting garlic this month.  The garlic I used was organic, I bedded it down with hay.  Both items came from my SIL's place in the country.  Nary  a bud showed up.  If my plant lives until next spring maybe I'll plant sweet potatoes.  I am not noted for my green thumb.:P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Exactly - I have it on the ledge above the washer. Just for fun. The big avocados I showed on my blog long ago came from a sprouted avocado >>> tree!!! My landlord was a nutter but he got lucky.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

My mother always said that in order to have a green thumb you had to have Brown knees. I have the pinkest knees in town.

Mine aren't even pink.  They're practically transparent.

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Why don't I believe you? I would love to, but, uh, no.

I'm afraid I'm with Tropicalsenior on this one also.  Sadly, but truthfully.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Well she did not explain how plastic bag cuts her fragile skin so I am in "ouch tell us how" camp. Sister (60) and dad (100 this Friday) have been comparing how their weird skin bleeds happen. Neither are on blood thinners.

19 minutes ago, heidih said:

Well she did not explain how plastic bag cuts her fragile skin so I am in "ouch tell us how" camp. Sister (60) and dad (100 this Friday) have been comparing how their weird skin bleeds happen. Neither are on blood thinners.

This time it was the edge or corner of the bag.  It was a minor cut, just enough to draw blood and get a post here.  And it was my palm, not the fragile skin of my forearms that just rubs off almost by itself.

• Sad 3

On 8/14/2022 at 11:21 PM, ElsieD said:

20220814_140444.jpg

If you have space outside this should grow into a decent size plant that will give you some tubers (sweet potatoes) in due course.  I grew a couple of plants from seed in decent sized containers a couple of years ago, the harvest was modest but edible.  As we only have very limited space I haven’t repeated the experiment but I would certainly grow sweet potatoes if we had more ground available.  Of course your little plant is pretty as it is but if you do fancy eating your own sweet potato the roots need space to develop.  

• 2 weeks later...

Not to perjure myself further, between the bedroom and the living room I found three open bags of Rustichella d'Abruzzo bucatini.  I had been hoping to find spaghetti.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

When you find how to avoid this, please post.

I plan to try an atmosphere of CO2.  Baring that, I could take a bite out of each loaf as they are baked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2