• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again get out of bed.  The battery of my iRobot mop is charging.

Reaching for some steel cut oats, I knocked over an open box of Cheerios and a can of cooking oil.  As I was dealing with the Cheerios on the floor, I somehow upset a shelving unit.  Did I mention my container of heavy cream was rancid?

Sounds like Cheerios are the main cause*. If there are any left, I recommend disposing of them ASAP

* aside, perhaps, from a certain lack of spatial awareness

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

13 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Sounds like Cheerios are the main cause*. If there are any left, I recommend disposing of them ASAP

* aside, perhaps, from a certain lack of spatial awareness

Fortunately I have about five boxes in the hall linen closet.  Spatial awareness has never been my thing.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I use Rosie for that.

I recall one of the iRobot inventors related he questioned his young daughter why she was sweeping her spilled Cheerios onto the floor.  "Don't worry daddy, the robot will get them."

Meanwhile my maid has finished her duties and is awaiting me to recharge her battery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I shall never again.  Ever.

Last weekend I urgently needed orgeat.  No points for guessing why.  I did not have enough Marcona almonds nor apricot kernels to produce a batch.  I always try to keep at least one extra bag of Marcona almonds and apricot kernels on hand.  I don't know what went wrong?  My urgent order from nuts.com arrived this afternoon.

Meanwhile, tonight I went to replenish my antique Danish pepper mill.  On the spice shelf I found an empty jar.  I was sure I had purchased pepper.  How could I have not?  But while searching for black pepper I found the bags of apricot kernels and Marcona almonds!  I'm not crazy.  Not with the nuts, they were under a dozen or three jars of spices in the bedroom.

Eventually I located the unopened half pound bag of Spice House Kampot peppercorns.  But not before filling the pepper mill with red pepper.

I work in a library.  I'm supposed to know how to organize stuff.  Please don't tell my boss.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

My smartypants tendencies usually just annoy others. Last night it bit me in the butt.  I always poo pooed my stepmother's fear of exploding Pyrex in microwave Happened to her son once. For dinner I reheated some leftovers in a vintage Pyrex bowl. Leisurely ate my delicious mess so completely cooled off. Rinsed the bowl .Set it down in sink to get a dishtowel and kabooom! A nice assortment of shard sizes and lots if itty bitty ones . Of course some pellets went down disposal. I reached all inside but must have gotten stuck somewhere. Waiting for plumber's call back. Luckiiy stepmother's sink is a plugged up mess so "2 birds with 1 stone'? 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 7

18 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Oh, Heidi, when it rains it pours, no?

Oh yesterday was also when my ancillary big computer screen that helps with my vision decided to bite the dust...At least my sister left a decent size new monitor somewhere here She shows up next week. So before I go to Best Buy...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, heidih said:

My smartypants tendencies usually just annoy others. Last night it bit me in the butt.  I always poo pooed my stepmother's fear of exploding Pyrex in microwave Happened to her son once. For dinner I reheated some leftovers in a vintage Pyrex bowl. Leisurely ate my delicious mess so completely cooled off. Rinsed the bowl .Set it down in sink to get a dishtowel and kabooom! A nice assortment of shard sizes and lots if itty bitty ones . Of course some pellets went down disposal. I reached all inside but must have gotten stuck somewhere. Waiting for plumber's call back. Luckiiy stepmother's sink is a plugged up mess so "2 birds with 1 stone'? 

Due to perhaps faulty information, I've long thought that vintage pyrex was safer to use at high temps than newer Pyrex. Maybe that's just a myth? I have only one glass square baker and one old pyrex 10 inch deep dish pie plate. I've been making my cornbread in the pie dish for many years, in the oven at 400 degrees. So far so good. The square one, which I believe is not so old, I don't bake higher than 350 degrees. I will say I'm a little nervous about both now. 

10 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Due to perhaps faulty information, I've long thought that vintage pyrex was safer to use at high temps than newer Pyrex. Maybe that's just a myth? I have only one glass square baker and one old pyrex 10 inch deep dish pie plate. I've been making my cornbread in the pie dish for many years, in the oven at 400 degrees. So far so good. The square one, which I believe is not so old, I don't bake higher than 350 degrees. I will say I'm a little nervous about both now. 

Not a faulty myth at all.  They took the borosilicate out of the formula some years back which changed the structure and has led to many occasions of dishes exploding and causing terrible wounds and so on.  My sister-in-law had one explode on her and luckily she wasn't badly hurt, but the shock and the mess was enough.  They neglected to broadcast that change.  Consumer Reports did a major article on the subject a few years back.  I think we discussed the situation on eGullet also. 

All the dishes I use are old but undamaged.  And I just don't use glass at high temperatures at all.  

From Wikipedia: Borosilicate glass is a type of glass that contains boron trioxide which allows for a very low coefficient of thermal expansion. This means it will not crack under extreme temperature changes like regular glass. Its durability has made it the glass of choice for high-end restaurants, laboratories and wineries.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

31 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I think this was a one-off. Did not explode in MW. At end kf washing maybe I did drop it - but the explosive nature of the  end made me think ? Maybe stress over time, IU am more pissed about losing a beloved bowl. It was a nested set and the 2 larger ones are MIAn- that moving too many times/storage thing

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

What counts as high temperature, @Darienne?

Sorry.  Never really thought about it carefully.  I'd say 400° Fahrenheit and up.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Tangentially, night before last I made chili rellenos   There was perhaps a half cup of moderately hot oil in the pan and I decided to save it,  pouring it into a French working jar, a kitchen staple for me.

938163924_ScreenShot2022-08-03at5_44_31PM.png.962e724b24979d4f38a8de83986a79df.png

Dinner over, I start to clean up, picked up the jar and the top 3/4 came neatly away, spewing some oil, leaving the bottom quarter full of oil.    I quickly grabbed a fist full of paper towel, crammed it into the remains of the jar and let it sop up the oil.    Sent alll eventually into the trash, and clean up was a minimum, but I had never had that happen before.    These jars are (I thought) able to take hot contents and have done so for me.    

Won't try this again.

• Sad 7

eGullet member #80.

10 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

These jars are (I thought) able to take hot contents and have done so for me.   

I think what might happen with these (and with the pyrex referred to previously) is that they have gotten some unnoticeable damage somewhere along the way; dishwasher, a bonk or two, etc. which weakens them to the point where they aren't able to withstand the heat.

Those jars, if I'm not mistaken, are jam and jelly jars - even in a boiling water or pressure cooker bath to sterilize, are they getting as hot as hot oil might get?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Those jars, if I'm not mistaken, are jam and jelly jars - even in a boiling water or pressure cooker bath to sterilize, are they getting as hot as hot oil might get?

I am never cavalier about pouring hot oil into a container. Metal is the rule. I might transfer it later to glass but not until it has cooled to room temperature. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Inspired by @Darienne I just set up a complete running inventory of every last scrap of food, paper product, and household item in my entire house down to the last sprig of parsley and coordinated it by category to my shopping list. I have it all right here in my telephone. 

Hopefully, I will never again buy four packages of spaghetti on sale when I still have six packages in my pantry.

Hopefully, I will live long enough to use up the three large bottles of balsamic vinegar I found while making my inventory.

Hopefully, I can remember to keep it up and hopefully, I never lose or drop my phone.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Inspired by @Darienne I just set up a complete running inventory of every last scrap of food, paper product, and household item in my entire house down to the last sprig of parsley and coordinated it by category to my shopping list. I have it all right here in my telephone. 

Hopefully, I will never again buy four packages of spaghetti on sale when I still have six packages in my pantry.

Hopefully, I will live long enough to use up the three large bottles of balsamic vinegar I found while making my inventory.

Hopefully, I can remember to keep it up and hopefully, I never lose or drop my phone.

Quoting from a favorite commercial, a border collie refuses to chase a badly thrown ball: "That is just so not going to happen".     Good luck.    I could never maintain that.

• Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

17 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Quoting from a favorite commercial, a border collie refuses to chase a badly thrown ball: "That is just so not going to happen".     Good luck.    I could never maintain that.

Basically, it's unmaintainable.  Sad to say.  

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

12 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Good luck

My goals are twofold. First to curb my over buying and second, to use up what I have overbought. With kitchen cabinets, a walk-in pantry, two refrigerators and a chest freezer, making the inventory itself was a monumental task. (Fortunately there was nothing in the bedrooms or under the couch.) Having accomplished that, I am determined to keep it up.

After 2 days of cooking and one blissful shopping trip, I am still up to date. Maybe I should check back with you in a month and report how I'm doing.

• Like 4