• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

How does such a thing happen?

Skin is supposed to keep the insides in.  My skin does not do this well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Drain off the liquid from a full container of sour cream without holding the sour cream back, preventing it from falling into the garbage disposal. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 8

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

3 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Drain off the liquid from a full container of sour cream without holding the sour cream back, preventing it from falling into the garbage disposal. 

The sour cream I buy has no liquid on top.  I opened a fresh container night before last.  Do you make your own?

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The sour cream I buy has no liquid on top.  I opened a fresh container night before last.  Do you make your own?

When I first open a new container of sour cream there is no liquid on top but after a day or two when I go to use it again then there is liquid which I pour off. I believe the cause is syneresis. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I used to make yogurt 

from various cultures , mixed up

from what was available , at the Market.

those quarts behaved the same

as the ones i now purchase .

however , those earlier quarts 

were Inhaled by Ajax , then later Ridge

labradors ( the dog )

w my Yog now , 

I just drink the supernate 

its tart , and there is a chance 

small or large 

no matter 

that what cultured the Yog.

was in the supernate .

nt so sure how this works out

w commercial sour cream 

but its probably made the same way 

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

When I first open a new container of sour cream there is no liquid on top but after a day or two when I go to use it again then there is liquid which I pour off. I believe the cause is syneresis. 

But @chileheadmike said "a full container".  That surprised me.

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But @chileheadmike said "a full container".  That surprised me.

Indeed I read that but did not interpret it quite as literally as you did. I thought he was using “full” to  emphasize the  magnitude of the loss. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

58 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

We buy the best grocery store quality that we are aware of...Gay Lea Gold Sour Cream...and then I immediately mix a large dollop of lemon juice into it to make it as close to what was available when I was a kid and the sour cream was REAL.  Helps a lot.  Never had liquid forming in this mixture.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

It had a scoop of sour cream taken out of it previously. The rest went down the drain. It was Daisy brand. There is always some liquid on top once you scoop into it and it sits in the fridge for a while. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I shall never again neglect lovely organic strawberries to moulder.  Just like the time before, and the time before that.

The green beans rotted too.

• Sad 6

20 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again neglect lovely organic strawberries to moulder.  Just like the time before, and the time before that.

Since starting to use this method, I've been able to "hold" strawberries for a week.  Works for blackberries, too.  Mr. Kim wanders the Capitol Square farmer's market at lunchtime and can't resist the berries.  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Since starting to use this method, I've been able to "hold" strawberries for a week.  Works for blackberries, too.  Mr. Kim wanders the Capitol Square farmer's market at lunchtime and can't resist the berries.  

• "The strawberries should be left whole and NOT capped."

Does not  'capped' mean leave on the stem and leaves?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

54 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I soak berries in vinegar and water also. It really does make a big difference in storage life. 

Edited to add: I do de-stem or hull them before the soak. Still works fine. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

6 minutes ago, Darienne said:
  • "The strawberries should be left whole and NOT capped."

Does not  'capped' mean leave on the stem and leaves?

I think "capped" is one of those weird words (like inflammable/flammable) that really means the opposite of what makes sense.   In this case, it means "cut off" or "removed".  So, left whole.  🤪😵

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I soak berries in vinegar and water also. It really does make a big difference in storage life. 

Edited to add: I do de-stem or hull them before the soak. Still works fine. 

Sorry to belabor the point:  in other words, you do cap yours...

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

My berries were a day short of two weeks.

• Like 1

Tonight I planned and prepared a chicken with stuffing recipe I found online. It was easy to prepare and put together....took about 20 minutes to pull everything together and then stuff it in my oven for 30 minutes to become tonights dinner. I have a lovey double oven set up and preheated the oven, placed the dish inside and 35 minutes later I pulled it out and voila, it was cold. Apparently I heated one oven, then placed the casserole into the other. 😅

Hopefully, the recipe works out or I'm selling the house.

Edited by streem26 (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, streem26 said:

Tonight I planned and prepared a chicken with stuffing recipe I found online. It was easy to prepare and put together....took about 20 minutes to pull everything together and then stuff it in my oven for 30 minutes to become tonights dinner. I have a lovey double oven set up and preheated the oven, placed the dish inside and 35 minutes later I pulled it out and voila, it was cold. Apparently I heated one oven, then placed the casserole into the other. 😅

Hopefully, the recipe works out or I'm selling the house.

Oh we all have goofy stories like that. We got a new oven. Sister insisted on taking over the turkey for Thanksgiving. Miss Continual Baste. I went outside to scream and breathe. Came back after a while - no lovely roasting bird smell. Turns out the new oven is so bleeping smart it shuts off if you have door open over a certain time. Convection setting helped, meal quite delayed. Hope your chicken was eventually tasty.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, heidih said:

Oh we all have goofy stories like that. We got a new oven. Sister insisted on taking over the turkey for Thanksgiving. Miss Continual Baste. I went outside to scream and breathe. Came back after a while - no lovely roasting bird smell. Turns out the new oven is so bleeping smart it shuts off if you have door open over a certain time. Convection setting helped, meal quite delayed. Hope your chicken was eventually tasty.

LOL

My friends and family think it's odd for someone who spent so much time in retail electronics, and who writes/researches technology topics on a regular basis, to be such a Luddite when it comes to "smart" products. I always tell them that's exactly *why* I'm such a Luddite!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I will never again permit a potato to deliquesce on my bedroom rug without asking.  Also, never again shall I witness a whole large organic cabbage to liquify.  Frightening.  Something out of science fiction.  No coleslaw for me tonight.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1