• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

I use the 'Ove Glove for baking, grilling, poking in the fire pit for fun, and picking up my cast iron skillet and it works great for all that. Like has been said before, it's useless once it gets wet, but supposedly they have a new model out that is "steam resistant" that I can't wait to try.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

I use the 'Ove Glove for baking, grilling, poking in the fire pit for fun, and picking up my cast iron skillet and it works great for all that. Like has been said before, it's useless once it gets wet, but supposedly they have a new model out that is "steam resistant" that I can't wait to try.

"Useless once it gets wet" constitutes exactly one of those things I will never again...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 4 weeks later...

Opened the bag of Vital Wheat Gluten to fill my canister and dumped the excess into the sink.

Didn't realize that powdered gluten when mixed with water turns into CEMENT PASTE.

Took forever to clean up the sink and had to throw out the sponge.

I didn't do this, but an old roommate of mine did: he was cooking bacon in a fry pan and used a plastic fork to stir and move the bacon around in the hot grease ....

... Shel

While brewing beer I somehow allowed the brew to be contaminated and while the bottles were fermenting in the basement late one night they began to burst. I thought we had been broken into and spent the next 10 minutes with a baseball bat hunting through the house for the intruders while Sweetie guarded the children. Then I smelt the unmistakable odor of the yeast...

Orem, Utah

microwaved some frozen butter for a minute to melt it...sudden pop, and interior of the microwave was glazed with molten butter.

now i only microwave it for 15 seconds at a time...

I've had that happen too - now I cover the dish with a paper towel, corners folded down under so it won't go anywhere.

I didn't do this, but an old roommate of mine did: he was cooking bacon in a fry pan and used a plastic fork to stir and move the bacon around in the hot grease ....

I did that too. And I was too tired back then that I didn't realized I am holding a plastic kitchen utensil. I never did that again.

While brewing beer I somehow allowed the brew to be contaminated and while the bottles were fermenting in the basement late one night they began to burst. I thought we had been broken into and spent the next 10 minutes with a baseball bat hunting through the house for the intruders while Sweetie guarded the children. Then I smelt the unmistakable odor of the yeast...

My dad told me a story like this from his days managing a Marc's Big Boy back in the 1980s. They used to wash and hand dry their ketchup bottles. Whoever was drying the bottles continued using a towel to wipe out the rim even after the towel was damp. This introduced (or left) a small amount of water in each bottle. Once they were filled with ketchup and sealed, they started to ferment. The restaurant then had a series of ketchup bottles mysteriously exploding at tables. They called someone in from corporate who snooped around for a few days until he identified the problem. In the meantime, some poor kid took his prom date to the restaurant for dinner. A bottle exploded at their table, spraying ketchup all over her white prom dress. I always felt bad for that kid. Big Boy isn't exactly a fancy restaurant. If that was the best the kid could afford, life was being a little unfair to screw him over like that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It's stretching the definition by labelling it an injury, but it did draw blood. Yesterday I was slicing a large, crusty sourdough boule for some toasted cheese (the most solitary of meals, to quote Rebus/Rankin). I palmed the top of the loaf and commenced to saw with the bread knife. The loaf shifted under my hand and drove a piece of crust under the skin of my thumb, just as a splinter of wood might. It was large and fairly easy to remove, but as I said it pierced the skin and drew a small amount of blood. I wonder whether I'll develop any bread related superpowers.

Edited by Dignan (log)

I have a set of very heavy Norwegian cookware that I bought when I first left home about 35 years ago. I was using the smaller of two stockpots to boil potatoes for potato salad the other day. Now this set of pots has no gaskets between the vessel and the handles so the handles get very hot. I was holding the pot over the sink to tip the potatoes into a colander and had one of the pot holders slip a little and turn the pot upside-down faster than expected. The pot's very hot bottom (they are copper-cored) banged up against the inside of my forearm and immediately raised a blister that popped and left me with a two inch section of raw skin.

I can tell by the way it is healing that I am going to end up with a discolored patch of skin. Who needs tattoos? I've got cuts, scrapes and burns, baby!

I have been slashed by the blades of the food processor and burnt when rotating pans in the oven but I wanted to tell you about the accident my son had in the kitchen. He was at work in the kitchen of a supermarket. He worked as a butcher in the meat department. He put his hands in the suds-filled sink when all of a sudden the water turned red and blood shot out, toward the ceiling. Hidden beneath the suds were the knives the other butchers were soaking. He was taken to The Hospital For Special Surgery in NYC where he underwent a surgical procedure. His nerves were severed. I sat in the waiting room, watching the TV suspended from the ceiling. President Clinton was on TV denying his involvement with a White House intern. The year was 1998. My son was out of work for months due to his injury and still does not have full use of his hand. He is no longer a butcher.

Edited by flourgirl (log)

Yikes.

My worst one was probably cutting my left ring finger nearly in half while using a bandsaw to cut steaks (about 15 years ago). I still have a faint, interesting scar in my fingerprint, although to all other intents and purposes you can't tell that I did it.

My hands are a disaster, though - I have to wear gloves with formal wear because they're just not fit to be seen. Like many people on this thread, I always have an interesting assortment of knife and kitchen-related cuts and contusions. And unlike the rest of you, I'm so tall that I can easily scorch my forearms when I bend over to take things out of the oven - even now that it's elevated on a nice little tile riser.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

whilst clipping my fingernails before / after work i always manage to clip one a little too short allowing salt and lemon juice to penetrate it for the next week.... no matter how much it hurts i always mange to do it again, and again, and again... :blink:

" I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy" - Tom Waits

• 1 month later...

What was that, fish sauce?

Yup!

I knew there was a reason to stay home instead of joining you on Manitoulin!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

What was that, fish sauce?

Yup!

I knew there was a reason to stay home instead of joining you on Manitoulin!

Had you been here it never would have been on that shelf though!

I learned about the perils of Barefoot in the Kitchen, oh, lemme think -- jelly shoes, my daughter was in middle school. Late eighties?

I dropped an empty gallon glass jug of Gallo Paisano on my bare foot. The bottle didn't break, but all five toes on my right foot did. I wore flip flops to work, in a business dress code firm, for two months.

Lesson learned. I can buy better wine now, and I'd as soon go into the kitchen barefoot as date Charlie Sheen.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Note to self: be careful with mandolins. Lol

I work in a kitchen so we have our fair share of injuries. My hands are often covered in superficial scratches and burn marks. Just a part of the job :/ it would help if we had better equipment though lol

My worst kitchen related accident was actually at home and a result of my young naive ways. I was using a knife to pry open a pack of frozen hot dogs and had one hand holding the hot dogs, and the other hand poking in between the hot dogs long ways up towards my othe hand (so stupid) well of course the knife slipped and went straight into/ across my thumb. Still have a nasty scar.

I also have a nasty scar from a can of corn. The lid was hanging on by a tiny piece of metal so I thought id snatch it up off the can, well it slid right off and into my finger lol

We live and learn ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one big kitchen injury I had was falling off a ladder. It was a horrible setup at the place. I ladder bolted to a wall, a 5x5 square cut out of the wall and all the dry goods stored in that space. Imagine lugging down a oil jug for the fryer one handed coming back down...yeah...stupid. I slipped and fell snapping a tendon in my right ankle.

Well the owner would not get in touch with me, trying to deny me workers comp for some reason. First thoughts were that he didn't have insurance but after 2 months and finally contacting a lawyer who sent a letter to him he called me the next day but...."You're going to have to talk to my lawyer". :smile:

Took 9 months out of my career. I did not enjoy that.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog