• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

15 hours ago, haresfur said:

The timer on my phone is loud enough I can hear it from the back of the house after I forget and leave it in the kitchen. Didn't help me find the phone the next morning when it was still in the kitchen, though.

We have to get Alexa to call our phones fairly often.  

• Haha 4

Life before Alexa. Hands full and wet and food disgusting multitasking,,,,washing hands, then setting timers. Pre-internet and cell phones I had 4 Ikea timers. Alexa can handle ten timers hands free. DH sets a 4 minute time to dry cast iron on the stovetop after rinsing/washing because he will walk away and forget. Last night I set an Alexa timer, "Alexa, set the 'my-croutons-are-burning' for 4 minutes".

(should have set it for 3 minutes, 😂)

My hand was on the oven door but kinda forgot why I was standing there. 

Microwaves. I have a pint size in the pantry, not used often. Maybe once every couple weeks. An hour ago I decided to heat up a 1/2 pint of stock for a pasta dinner dish. Nasty moldy RG beans from Last Saturday. (I usually take pics of oddities like my bloody cut finger from Sunday)...odd puffy black mold like a big dust bunny from a black cat. Even more odd that is had a sweet scent. Like fresh fruit. 🤢

Light off, door open, douche, baking soda, vinegar, boiling water 4 minutes, yada. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I will never again dump the ground beef in the bottom of the dishwasher.  And for once I might be serious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I will never again dump the ground beef in the bottom of the dishwasher.  And for once I might be serious.

We need the backstory for this.   I can't put together a scenario where I would be juggling ground beef near/in an open dishwasher.     This takes your esoteric storage methods to new heights. 

• Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

12 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

We need the backstory for this.   I can't put together a scenario where I would be juggling ground beef near/in an open dishwasher.     This takes your esoteric storage methods to new heights. 

I bet Jo was cooking it in the DW.

Meatloaf ala Maytag

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

I thought maybe a pot was put in the dishwasher not noticing it was full . . .

Ah, that makes sense as she said "dump the ground beef," which suggests it was in some container that was upended. 

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I consider ground beef to be messy.  Even Kenji wears gloves for ground beef.  With my Demeyere Searing Pan screaming on the stove I removed the previously opened plastic package from the refrigerator and placed the beef and its wrappings on the counter next to the sink.  As it happens the dishwasher is next to the sink.

The package was unwieldy, and this was after a mai tai.  And @gfweb, it is a Frigidaire.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

This should've been your first clue that things would go wrong.

Indeed.    Since covid, all we do is wash hands.    Why worry about a pound or so of ground beef in the mix.    Just "wash on, wash on..."

eGullet member #80.

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again reduce a vinegar reduction...to carbon.

You'd think the acetic acid would boil off before the water and there'd be nothing to char

Edited by gfweb (log)

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

You'd think the acetic acid would boil off before the water and there'd be nothing to char

That assumes distilled vinegar, though. Wine vinegar, cider vinegar and especially balsamic would have lots of extra "stuff" to carbonize.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

reminds me of Sunday when a friend said her husband handed the Mothers Day tongs onto the son for their traditional brats. I reminded her that the son Joe once BBQd a basketball on my Weber. Talk about stinky.

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Balsamic.

• Like 1

From a certain height (high) in a closet, I dropped a bottle of Tabasco sauce. Now, this was no regular 2 oz. bottle we're all used to seeing; it was a LARGE (like 8 oz.) bottle.

The top popped off, the Tabasco spilled all over TWO rugs. One I was able to wash in a large commercial machine downstairs. The other, I wasn't.  And Tabasco has a nice, pungent aroma, which I suspect will be around for at least a few more days.

Oh, I'll do something like this again, for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

50 minutes ago, weinoo said:

From a certain height (high) in a closet, I dropped a bottle of Tabasco sauce. Now, this was no regular 2 oz. bottle we're all used to seeing; it was a LARGE (like 8 oz.) bottle.

The top popped off, the Tabasco spilled all over TWO rugs. One I was able to wash in a large commercial machine downstairs. The other, I wasn't.  And Tabasco has a nice, pungent aroma, which I suspect will be around for at least a few more days.

Maybe stick to the 2oz as a mediation

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

Oh, yes.  I did that with a  big (think Costco size) bottle of Worcestershire sauce in the corner carousel of my kitchen cabinet, dropped it and it broke and splashed everywhere!  Stink and mess.  

• Sad 5