• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Ahhhh,  sure you will.

My thought, exactly.   And you can add the bedroom, down the stairs and anywhere else in the house you might choose to add.  However, @JoNorvelleWalker, you are a dear and there's no denying that. ❤️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

16 minutes ago, Darienne said:

However, @JoNorvelleWalker, you are a dear and there's no denying that. ❤️

Yes, @JoNorvelleWalker, a stumbling, bumbling, clumsy, absent minded dear, but you are our stumbling, bumbling, clumsy, absent minded dear and we love you.

You never fail to amuse and amaze us.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe this topic should be called "I will never again...except I know darned well that I will".

Made Tahini Cookie Strips this morning and the recipe calls for switching the cookies on the oven racks half way through.  I heard the timer at the half-way mark and switched the loads but alas, that was it.  By the time I remembered again that I was baking cookies, said cookies were horribly charred and straight into the garbage they went.  I was so angry at myself.  I usually take the timer with me so that I actually hear it.  This time I forgot and was watching a fascinating video about the recent discoveries that the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker may not be extinct after all.  

Still...I know I'll do it again....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

15 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Maybe this topic should be called "I will never again...except I know darned well that I will".

Made Tahini Cookie Strips this morning and the recipe calls for switching the cookies on the oven racks half way through.  I heard the timer at the half-way mark and switched the loads but alas, that was it.  By the time I remembered again that I was baking cookies, said cookies were horribly charred and straight into the garbage they went.  I was so angry at myself.  I usually take the timer with me so that I actually hear it.  This time I forgot and was watching a fascinating video about the recent discoveries that the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker may not be extinct after all.  

Still...I know I'll do it again....

I always cut cookie batches by 2/3 because my attention span only lasts through one bake; the next bake is overdone and the last is burnt.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

eGullet member #80.

So sorry, @Darienne!  When I bake multiple oven loads of cookies I almost always burn the last one but it's much more tragic to lose them all!

Me?  I will never again buy cooking oil with a plastic snap cap.  

IMG_3712.jpeg.131be59931b0791e7ee9c3f91539f10a.jpeg

Acceptable screw cap on the left, unacceptable pop-top on the right.  

I gave it the side-eye in the store and even moved it from the pantry cabinet where I feared it tipping and dripping through the wire shelves on everything below.  I put it in a lower cabinet instead and managed to nudge it off the shelf when putting something else away. It only fell about a foot but the jolt popped the top open and it splattered all over.  Then it wobbled a bit and tipped over, pouring out all over the floor.  

Of course, I was putting that other item away in a bit of a hurry because a friend was on her way over so I didn't have time for a proper scrubbing and was afraid that one of us would go flying.  Thankfully no injuries ensued, the floor is clean and I will never purchase oil in such a bottle again!

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

6 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

So sorry, @Darienne!  When I bake multiple oven loads of cookies I almost always burn the last one but it's much more tragic to lose them all!

Me?  I will never again buy cooking oil with a plastic snap cap.  

IMG_3712.jpeg.131be59931b0791e7ee9c3f91539f10a.jpeg

Acceptable screw cap on the left, unacceptable pop-top on the right.  

I gave it the side-eye in the store and even moved it from the pantry cabinet where I feared it tipping and dripping through the wire shelves on everything below.  I put it in a lower cabinet instead and managed to nudge it off the shelf when putting something else away. It only fell about a foot but the jolt popped the top open and it splattered all over.  Then it wobbled a bit and tipped over, pouring out all over the floor.  

Of course, I was putting that other item away in a bit of a hurry because a friend was on her way over so I didn't have time for a proper scrubbing and was afraid that one of us would go flying.  Thankfully no injuries ensued, the floor is clean and I will never purchase oil in such a bottle again!

At least the bottle didn't break.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@blue_dolphin Oh those pop lids! When stepmother was here last she bought herself some Trader Joe soy sauce with one. I don't know what caused movement in fridge where she keeps it but I opened fridge in morning to find the entire condiment door with most of an almost full bottle everywhere. Wasn't mine but I felt compelled to clean it up.

• Sad 6

I shall never again pull down a pile of pots and pans upon myself.  Minor bruising, nothing broken.

• Sad 4

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again pull down a pile of pots and pans upon myself.  Minor bruising, nothing broken.

When I feel like wearing a hair shirt, I recall the number of rather favorite things I've broken when pulling down a stack of plates/layered flat objects.    Somehow, when a shelf is full, there always seems to be room on TOP of a pile of somethings.    Not always visible and NOT safe storage!

• Sad 4

eGullet member #80.

I spent some much needed moments rearranging my pots and pans.  Not least because I ordered four new ones last week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I always cut cookie batches by 2/3 because my attention span only lasts through one bake; the next bake is overdone and the last is burnt.   

Isn't this why they make timers?

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

21 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Isn't this why they make timers?

Yes, but you have to have left the timer somewhere you can hear it.  And the timer must have a loud ring...which many of them don't.  Better yet, bring the timer with you into whatever room you are going to.  And again...don't go onto the computer reading where you (aka I) always lose track of time and everything else. 

We are going to buy a small electronic type timer and I am going to hang it on some kind of lanyard.  That might help...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

15 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Yes, but you have to have left the timer somewhere you can hear it.  And the timer must have a loud ring...which many of them don't.  Better yet, bring the timer with you into whatever room you are going to.  And again...don't go onto the computer reading where you (aka I) always lose track of time and everything else. 

We are going to buy a small electronic type timer and I am going to hang it on some kind of lanyard.  That might help...

Thermoworks makes great timers: easy to use, loud if you need them to be. Their Timestick is small and lanyard-capable but will also fit in a pocket. The Extra Big and Loud Timer weinoo notes above may not be as conveniently sized but is adjustable. This page shows their current offerings.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

47 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Thermoworks makes great timers: easy to use, loud if you need them to be. Their Timestick is small and lanyard-capable but will also fit in a pocket. The Extra Big and Loud Timer weinoo notes above may not be as conveniently sized but is adjustable. This page shows their current offerings.

By now I have Googled timer on a lanyard and seen that many are out there.  And thanks, @Smithy and others for the help.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I use Alexa as my timer for everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Yes, but you have to have left the timer somewhere you can hear it.  And the timer must have a loud ring...which many of them don't.

I don't often use a timer, but when I do It hangs round my neck.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The timer on my phone is loud enough I can hear it from the back of the house after I forget and leave it in the kitchen. Didn't help me find the phone the next morning when it was still in the kitchen, though.

• Haha 6

It's almost never bad to feed someone.