• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

Fail to trust my nose about an onion. $1.49/lb red onion. All the onion bins had some not so grreat ones. I hould hve trusted it was a koad of yuckies. Ir was firm but upon cutting open I could squeeze it and it stunk. Grrr

• Sad 7

Look at a cotainer that I cannot figire how to open and at least consult the internet. Colmans dry mustard. Stoopid tape from slim side, across top to the other. Used knife along ridges to get a clue. Got frustrated and popped top Oh it opened - but fine powdered mustard all over ounter. GRRR This stuff is not cheap!

• Sad 8

41 minutes ago, heidih said:

Look at a cotainer that I cannot figire how to open and at least consult the internet. Colmans dry mustard. Stoopid tape from slim side, across top to the other. Used knife along ridges to get a clue. Got frustrated and popped top Oh it opened - but fine powdered mustard all over ounter. GRRR This stuff is not cheap!

EVERTHING these days seems impossible to open without a machete!

• Like 4

Just now, lindag said:

EVERTHING these days seems impossible to open without a machete!

I'd love to stab that guy in the eye who first tried to poison his wife with Tylenol.

• Like 5

I'd like to say I shall never again put buttermilk rather than half-and-half in my coffee, but it was my husband who made that foul mistake when he kindly poured some for me. Too bad it was the last of the coffee for the day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Just curious, what does spatula juice taste like?

Actually, I’ve been thinking about this. Favorite spatula meets juicer. Flavor? Major note, DOH!! (ala Homer Simpson), with hints of regret and bitterness, with a finishing note of sadness on the back of the tongue.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I will never again cut up my finger with a bread knife.

Which knife would you recommend?

(I'll show myself out...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Which knife would you recommend?

(I'll show myself out...)

Previously I've had good results with a chef's knife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I shall never again open my arm unpacking an amazon delivery that included my new Fissler pot.  No, it was not the box cutter.  I cut myself on cardboard.

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again open my arm unpacking an amazon delivery that included my new Fissler pot.  No, it was not the box cutter.  I cut myself on cardboard.

Take care of that cut.  Paper cuts can get nasty.

(I shudder every time I read your name posting on this thread.    Do take care!)

eGullet member #80.

36 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Take care of that cut.  Paper cuts can get nasty.

(I shudder every time I read your name posting on this thread.    Do take care!)

This wasn't a paper cut exactly.  The cardboard just rubbed off my skin.

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This wasn't a paper cut exactly.  The cardboard just rubbed off my skin.

When I make the long-threatened suit of bubble wrap for my mom, I'll cheerfully do up a second one for you. Send measurements. :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 minutes ago, chromedome said:

When I make the long-threatened suit of bubble wrap for my mom, I'll cheerfully do up a second one for you. Send measurements. :P

I fear the bubble wrap would rub off my skin.

• Haha 1

I'll try not to do what I did this morning. Lose my kettle.

I mean it has its own place in the scheme of things and in the kitchen and there it was not there this morning. I have spent all day looking for it without success! Found my long lost potato ricer though I find it somewhat dysfunctional for boiling water.

I had the kettle this morning and haven't thrown out anything all day; I haven't been out all day.

My home must be haunted by spirits of long-deceased anti-kettle activists idiots.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto