• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

Wow! My first real post to this thread! Not that it's anything to be proud of. We were staying out at the family beach house (with a very small select group of vaxxed relatives) so I don't have good muscle memory of the staircase configuration. Five hours of Black Friday were spent in the cozy little Petaluma ER to get a dislocated finger relocated. When asked how it happened I told a half-truth: I said I got drunk and fell down the stairs. The whole truth is that I got drunk, then had a gummy, and  then in the middle of the night fell down the stairs on the way to the bathroom. I figured that for all the other people in the ER just getting drunk after a big Triptophan hit was all that was needed to fall down the stairs; I didn't feel it was necessary to include the fact that I was tripping before I tripped. Anyway, I hope I will never do that again. The good new is I didn't break anything (except maybe the washing machine which I crashed into) and came away with only a bent finger and some minor bruises. Lucky me, right? Happy Thanksgiving. I'm safe and sound at home now with nothing more dangerous than the Sunday Times and some opiates.

• Like 5
  • Sad 8

9 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Wow! My first real post to this thread! Not that it's anything to be proud of. We were staying out at the family beach house (with a very small select group of vaxxed relatives) so I don't have good muscle memory of the staircase configuration. Five hours of Black Friday were spent in the cozy little Petaluma ER to get a dislocated finger relocated. When asked how it happened I told a half-truth: I said I got drunk and fell down the stairs. The whole truth is that I got drunk, then had a gummy, and  then in the middle of the night fell down the stairs on the way to the bathroom. I figured that for all the other people in the ER just getting drunk after a big Triptophan hit was all that was needed to fall down the stairs; I didn't feel it was necessary to include the fact that I was tripping before I tripped. Anyway, I hope I will never do that again. The good new is I didn't break anything (except maybe the washing machine which I crashed into) and came away with only a bent finger and some minor bruises. Lucky me, right? Happy Thanksgiving. I'm safe and sound at home now with nothing more dangerous than the Sunday Times and some opiates.

Hey, been there and done that a few years ago.  Nothing broken except my pride.

Bent my glasses and felt stupid; a few too many martinis.  But I didn't have to go the ER.  I had thought I'd learned but did it again last year.  Now I'm a little more restrained.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I believe that the proper etiquette for this situation is to inquire politely about the condition of the victim and if they don't seem to be mortally wounded, laugh like hell because it wasn't you.

• Haha 9

Well, I know what missing a step or two on the stairs is like.  One New Year's Eve, after a (ahem) merry evening, I missed a step going to bed and fell down the stairs.  Ho hum I said, my good humor not dispelled in the least and continued on my way to bed.  The next day it was apparent that I had done some damage as I could not walk.  Called a doctor who came to the house, told me I had dislocated my kneecap (it had moved to the side of my leg) and sent me to the hospital where they re-positioned it.  I had to wear one of those leg braces for 6 weeks and had to go to physio for the same length of time.  A New Year's Eve to remember.

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Well, I know what missing a step or two on the stairs is like.  One New Year's Eve, after a (ahem) merry evening, I missed a step going to bed and fell down the stairs.  Ho hum I said, my good humor not dispelled in the least and continued on my way to bed.  The next day it was apparent that I had done some damage as I could not walk.  Called a doctor who came to the house, told me I had dislocated my kneecap (it had moved to the side of my leg) and sent me to the hospital where they re-positioned it.  I had to wear one of those leg braces for 6 weeks and had to go to physio for the same length of time.  A New Year's Eve to remember.

I can't recall a doctor coming to the house since I was four, is that a thing in Canada?  But my mother was a nurse and always had opioids on hand.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have one step in the whole house and yard. It's about 6 in high in the sidewalk that goes around three sides of the house. About five years ago I managed to catch my foot in it and go flying. For years I have always landed on my right knee whenever I fell so it's a mess. That time I managed to completely destroy my left knee and bash my head. For me, stairs are just an accident waiting to be happened.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I can't recall a doctor coming to the house since I was four, is that a thing in Canada?  But my mother was a nurse and always had opioids on hand.

I have only recently learned that we have a house calls service in Ontario that is paid for by our provincial insurance. I am not sure who is entitled to use it. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I have one step in the whole house and yard. It's about 6 in high in the sidewalk that goes around three sides of the house. About five years ago I managed to catch my foot in it and go flying. For years I have always landed on my right knee whenever I fell so it's a mess. That time I managed to completely destroy my left knee and bash my head. For me, stairs are just an accident waiting to be happened.

My previous home had lots of steps everywhere.  Although I'd never fallen there (except once on the icy driveway).

New house in a 55+ community has NO steps anywhere.  Everything is wheelchair accessible.  However, I did manage a couple of falls in the last months; only because the chemotherapy I had left me with neuropathy in my feet which caused me to have a lack of equilibrium.  Always a price to pay.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, lindag said:

My previous home had lots of steps everywhere.  Although I'd never fallen there (except once on the icy driveway).

New house in a 55+ community has NO steps anywhere.  Everything is wheelchair accessible.  However, I did manage a couple of falls in the last months; only because the chemotherapy I had left me with neuropathy in my feet which caused me to have a lack of equilibrium.  Always a price to pay.

I too have that awful chemo induced neuropathy in my feet and a feeling of lack of equilibrium…good way to describe it.I too have fallen a few times.  We built a house without stairs and have downsized to condo.  We were pretty smug about our new location until our elevator went out of order 11 days ago.  The required part is in transit and delayed due to the terrible transport conditions in our area.  We are in the sixth storey penthouse….102 steps from street level.  I am also battling Osteoarthritis in my knee.  Needless to say I have only been out for physiotherapy once.

On the stair topic, when visiting my brother I got knocked down a flight of stairs by my DH who slipped on the hardwood.  Got an X-ray after 10 days and yup, broken clavicle.  Sheesh.  Of course some whisky tasting was involved.

• Sad 5

My last "bounce" occurred in the country two years ago.   I had crossed a snowy field to take husband a requested tool and had returned to the house, feeling triumphant that I had had no mishaps.   Got across the icy deck and inside the house, onto a foot-stomp rug.    Didn't realize that my boot had accumulated an ice-ball, onto which I stepped and pole-vaulted into the kitchen, landing on my shoulder.    That one took almost a year to fully forgive me.  

Learned: watch boot soles; remove boots before entering house.

• Sad 6

eGullet member #80.

Some years ago I was returning home on a cold night with groceries.  I slipped on the ice and hit the back of my head.  Dazed, I picked up my dinner as best I could but it was dark.  When I got home I realized I was missing butter.  The next day I went back to look for it.  I slipped on the same ice and fell on my face.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Some years ago I was returning home on a cold night with groceries.  I slipped on the ice and hit the back of my head.  Dazed, I picked up my dinner as best I could but it was dark.  When I got home I realized I was missing butter.  The next day I went back to look for it.  I slipped on the same ice and fell on my face.

But did you find the butter?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This happened in 1998.  There must have been a " Doctors on Call" as the doctor who came was not my regular doctor but he was known to the staff at the hospital.  Neither John nor I remember having to pay him so it was likely covered by our provincial insurance.  It's the only time I needed that service.

• Like 1