• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

11 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Oops.  Makes a mess doesn't it?  Ask me how I know.

Oh yup - ex used to quick chill his diet pepsi cans in freezer - then forget. At least they were diet so no sugar mess. I put the gardener's cokes in freezer the other day - but did set an alarm ;)

• Like 5

For a quick chill I often put my wine in the freezer for a few moments without problems (unless I forget and leave the bottle overnight).  However this time my 1.5 liter of soave went into the blast freezer for about an hour.  Thankfully the glass did not break, but the contents were frozen solid.

Blast freezer works great.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had a inadvertent audition for "Will it Blend?" this morning.

I was making hazelnut horchata and dumped a tiny remaining bit of powdered sugar out of container into the Blendtec without looking.  Apparently there was a espresso spoon included in the sugar, I didn't notice.

I poured in all the remaining soaked rice and nuts and spices and fired her up.

Sounded like a wood chipper.  For about 1.5 seconds my brain locked up and I couldn't figure the off button out.

Blendtec appears no worse for wear.  Here's a unblended spoon next to the Blendtec'd one.

IMG_0416.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

I will never again let myself get a month and a half behind in reading the forums. Particularly the breakfast, lunch, dinner, food funnies and Cape Cod ones, which do not bear missing anything.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 11:36 AM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

My "stay out of the kitchen unril you're awake" moment was pouring orange juice in my coffee instead of milk.    Gross.   

I've never done that, put I've put half and half in my orange juice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

38 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again reach into a bag of what I thought were organic onions only to pull out what was once a Valencia orange.

And ya did not smell the stench? Iam the "honey you have a rotten orange in the bin" customer with my sweet produce guy

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again reach into a bag of what I thought were organic onions only to pull out what was once a Valencia orange.

I was almost afraid to open this up and read it.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

@JoNorvelleWalker I cringe every time I see your name in this thread and then I giggle even before I read it.  I know you are always OK and it's nice to have a fellow "misfortune" advocate here.  ;) 

• Like 2

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

11 minutes ago, nonblonde007 said:

@JoNorvelleWalker I cringe every time I see your name in this thread and then I giggle even before I read it.  I know you are always OK and it's nice to have a fellow "misfortune" advocate here.  ;) 

Thanks!  But please don't assume I am always OK.

• Sad 2

21 hours ago, heidih said:

And ya did not smell the stench? Iam the "honey you have a rotten orange in the bin" customer with my sweet produce guy

Be minded my bedroom sometimes has the redolence of the Guelmim camel market.*

*Full disclosure:  I have never visited Morocco, but have been about six miles from there.

• Haha 4

On 10/23/2021 at 9:28 PM, ElsieD said:

I was almost afraid to open this up and read it.

My thought exactly. And relieved no blood was shed. This time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 11/1/2021 at 5:34 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again* wait for a Cuisinart pot to boil on an induction burner.

*twice in the last couple weeks.

I immediately thought of you when I read this in the ‘R meality Check’ cartoon this morning.

”Why is it impossible to fold a fitted sheet without spilling my drink”/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/24/2021 at 4:29 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Be minded my bedroom sometimes has the redolence of the Guelmim camel market.*

*Full disclosure:  I have never visited Morocco, but have been about six miles from there.

If the wind is blowing in the right direction I'm sure you can smell camels from 6 miles away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

If the wind is blowing in the right direction I'm sure you can smell camels from 6 miles away.

I have been around camels in Africa, just not in Morocco.

• 2 weeks later...