• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I immediately identified it as a sprouted spud.   But then, I have experience with these since I'm sometimes slow to finish a sack of potatoes.   

I keep my spuds in a specially made burlap sack out in the garage (bought from Amazon).  Every once in a while one on the bottom goes bad - a smell to make one gag.

1 minute ago, lindag said:

I keep my spuds in a specially made burlap sack out in the garage (bought from Amazon).  Every once in a while one on the bottom goes bad - a smell to make one gag.

A neighbor in the country advised us that a rattlesnake (lair) smells of rotten potatoes.    Should you ever need this info!    I've fortunately never needed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

11 minutes ago, lindag said:

You bought a garage from Amazon⁈ How much was delivery?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I will never again post my dinner in the dinner thread and misidentify the pork as chicken. When I bought it, I knew it was pork; when I cooked it I knew it was pork; when I ate it I knew it was pork. When I posted it, my fingers decided to type 'chicken' instead.

Now edited.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

More often it's when my fingers type there for their, your for you're, here for hear, then for than, than for from...   Pesky digits!  

These homophone errors are common, either through ignorance or carelessness or wandering attention. They are however, kind of understandable. 'chicken' and 'pork fall into a different category, I would suggest.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

To see homophone errors are common, either through ignorance or carelessness or wandering attention. They are however, kind of understandable. 'chicken' and 'pork fall into a different category, I would suggest.

"Pork, the other white meat."

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Pressure canned tomatoes yesterday.  I laid the still warmish lid on top of one of my barstools.  Apparently it was a perfect storm of the screw being loose and the lid being warm enough.  Sucked the top of the stool right up.  

thumbnail_IMG_1194.jpg.5bd59044794c5bcd8ca4623d250ba7e3.jpg

I can't get it out.

thumbnail_IMG_1195.jpg.9cd60d140abafd576e53e36bb8fa5c04.jpg

Ronnie will have to do some surgery.  I may be reduced to a total of 3 stools lol. 

Sigh.  

This would only happen to me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

This would only happen to me.

Wow. Who’d have thunked?  That is quite a story. We live and learn. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Been there and done that with glass lids and pans but never a barstool!   I use glass lids almost exclusively and they seem to have a propensity to suck onto frying pans.    Here is an 8" grill pan I use for scallops, often pulling it from heat and adding a glass lid to keep the scallops warm.    When I "glued" a lid to it, husband released the suction by cutting a slit in the pan.   (He expected me to toss the pan but it still works just fine, thank you very much.)

1193362724_ScreenShot2021-08-27at7_02_07AM.thumb.png.0b8561bd71d28cc2b12b2225a307db72.png

563743342_ScreenShot2021-08-27at7_01_53AM.thumb.png.5b4f55898bd51bddb352d38cf6ad3cc5.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

Clever boy, frugal you. I had a co-worker who decided to eat healthy and bring his lunch in those Glad storage containers. Young guy. He stuck it in the microwave without popping the lid. We bout died laughing watching him struggle to get the suctioned lid off. 

My fiasco yesterday was going 3 rooms away while simmering leftover Costco chicken bones for simple stock. Not my bones but stepmom was gonna throw them out. I used minimal water and set on super low flame. Started to smell wonderful. Then oops - scorched stench. To make it worse I added water and gave it a taste. The bitterness put me off my feed for the evening. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

My fiasco yesterday was going 3 rooms away while simmering leftover Costco chicken bones for simple stock. Not my bones but stepmom was gonna throw them out. I used minimal water and set on super low flame. Started to smell wonderful. Then oops - scorched stench. To make it worse I added water and gave it a taste. The bitterness put me off my feed for the evening. 

Been there and done THAT TOO!    I seem to be a poster child for "do what I say, not what i do!"

I have started turning on a timer ANYTIME I leave a room with a pan on a burner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

eGullet member #80.

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Pressure canned tomatoes yesterday.  I laid the still warmish lid on top of one of my barstools.  Apparently it was a perfect storm of the screw being loose and the lid being warm enough.  Sucked the top of the stool right up.

Did you manage to get all your tomatoes canned, at least? I would be even more upset if I still had a pile of tomatoes waiting to be processed!  🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Did you manage to get all your tomatoes canned, at least? I would be even more upset if I still had a pile of tomatoes waiting to be processed!  🙂

No....it will be a while before I'm all done with tomatoes--my counters are piled high 😀.  I do a batch at least every other day.   AND the barstool is back intact and my lid no longer has a seat in it lol.

• Like 15
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

No....it will be a while before I'm all done with tomatoes--my counters are piled high 😀.  I do a batch at least every other day.   AND the barstool is back intact and my lid no longer has a seat in it lol.

Right, I remember you sharing a photo of some of your tomatoes! So glad you have your pressure canner lid back again!  🙂

• Thanks 1

Question:  I realize that it depends on the variety of tomato because of differences in acid content. but can you tell us why you are choosing pressure as a method for canning tomatoes.   i have for years used water bath with good results.    Sauces and simple whole or quartered tomatoes, brought to a boil then jarred and bathed.  

eGullet member #80.

• 2 weeks later...

Put my forearm across top of Zo rice cooker exactly such that my wrist is over the steam hole. Perfectly round painful burn that I keep resting on

on desk as I type.  I dropped it years ago and seal not perfect so I push down to "seal" when it gets going. Still males great rice.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Sad 8

32 minutes ago, heidih said:

Put my forearm across top of Zo rice cooker exactly such that my wrist is over the steam hole. Perfectly round painful burn that I keep resting on

on desk as I type.  I dropped it years ago and seal not perfect so I push down to "seal" when it gets going. Still males great rice.

Ouch!