• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again shake my mai tai without the lid.  For forty five seconds.

I'm using a lot of alcohol gel on my hands because of the pandemic but I haven't resorted to alcohol showers yet. Aren't Mai Tai showers a bit sticky?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again shake my mai tai without the lid.  For forty five seconds.

But the question is: would you do it for 30 seconds?

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, Anna N said:

But the question is: would you do it for 30 seconds?

Well, I shake my mai tais for 45 seconds.  And it takes some while for the cold liquid to soak through the oven mitts.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

53 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Well, I shake my mai tais for 45 seconds.  And it takes some while for the cold liquid to soak through the oven mitts.

I just *knew* there had to be more to the story...

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst chipping accumulated frost deposits from the freezer I noticed red splotches on the ice, and thought some meat had leaked.  I had.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 8

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Whilst chipping accumulated frost deposits from the freezer I noticed red splotches on the ice, and thought some meat had leaked.  I had.

But at least it should’ve congealed in the cold. Better than Heparin I would think. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My goodness, JoNorvelle, I do think you need a restful vacation somewhere quiet with no sharp or pointed instruments and someone to make your Mai Tais and preferably wait upon you hand and foot and be responsible for turning on and off electrical appliances.  :wub:

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

20 minutes ago, Darienne said:

My goodness, JoNorvelle, I do think you need a restful vacation somewhere quiet with no sharp or pointed instruments and someone to make your Mai Tais and preferably wait upon you hand and foot and be responsible for turning on and off electrical appliances.  :wub:

I was going to suggest a minder or a bodyguard, but I like your idea better.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Death by boredom! Bet she’d rather go out with a mai tai in one hand and a hot wire in the other. Or perhaps a mai tai in both hands. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Death by boredom! Bet she’d rather go out with a mai tai in one hand and a hot wire in the other. Or perhaps a mai tai in both hands. 

I have to ask:  what is a hot wire in context?  An electrical connection?

Oh, and I need both hands to hold a mai tai.

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have to ask:  what is a hot wire in context?  An electrical connection?

Oh, and I need both hands to hold a mai tai.

Yes an electrical connection. Very large mai tais?

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not quite sure how this came to happen.  I shall never again screw the skin of my beloved thenar eminence into a bottle of La Favorite rhum.  It hurts.  This may qualify as a Guinness first in history.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm not quite sure how this came to happen.  I shall never again screw the skin of my beloved thenar eminence into a bottle of La Favorite rhum.  It hurts.  This may qualify as a Guinness first in history.

I've always considered myself to be unusually "talented" in such matters, but I bow to the master.

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

29 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I shall never again put sweet potatoes in a bowl on the counter without checking out the skin abnormalities. Scared the living hell out of me at 2 in the morning.

20210811_113845.thumb.jpg.aa89a042fc384fc8c584f833c39bcbf2.jpg

Hard to tell what it is. Looks like a cute froglet who transported some duckweed in.

17 minutes ago, heidih said:

Hard to tell what it is.

After a frantic search for the flyswatter, a 3-yard sneak attack, and a blow hard enough to kill Godzilla, I realized I had killed a root protrusion. Next time I'll put my glasses on before I go for a glass of water.

• Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 11:33 AM, Tropicalsenior said:

After a frantic search for the flyswatter, a 3-yard sneak attack, and a blow hard enough to kill Godzilla, I realized I had killed a root protrusion. Next time I'll put my glasses on before I go for a glass of water.

I immediately identified it as a sprouted spud.   But then, I have experience with these since I'm sometimes slow to finish a sack of potatoes.   

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.