• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

13 minutes ago, Orbit said:

I will never again try to stir my stew with a flyswatter. (It has a wooden handle like my wooden spoon, and of course since I had a wooden handle in my hand it must be my spoon--my husband stopped me before I did it).

At least you did not end up flinging stew all over including your person!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I shall never again mistake the iPad battery indicator for the Paragon battery indicator.  Fortunately both the iPad and the Paragon work plugged in.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For lack of a better place to share:  as alluded above I am preparing a tomato sauce on the Paragon.  To add a third battery powered device to dinner, I am using a battery powered stirrer so that I may sit down and enjoy my mai tai.

As to batteries I am fortunate to posses a battery of Le Creuset, however I probably chose a size too small for this evening's application.  The sauce level was higher than envisioned.  I added an extra stirring arm that I'd never tried before, designed for deeper pots.

The arm caught a cinnamon stick.  The other end of the cinnamon stick stuck in the stirrer housing.  Perhaps you may see where this is going?

Eventually when the motor had its way, the stove and rear wall were decorated in bright red sauce.  Thankfully the direction was away from me.  Otherwise the incident could have been quite painful...rather than just embarrassing.  And I'd done my laundry for the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 5

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For lack of a better place to share:  as alluded above I am preparing a tomato sauce on the Paragon.  To add a third battery powered device to dinner, I am using a battery powered stirrer so that I may sit down and enjoy my mai tai.

As to batteries I am fortunate to posses a battery of Le Creuset, however I probably chose a size too small for this evening's application.  The sauce level was higher than envisioned.  I added an extra stirring arm that I'd never tried before, designed for deeper pots.

The arm caught a cinnamon stick.  The other end of the cinnamon stick stuck in the stirrer housing.  Perhaps you may see where this is going?

Eventually when the motor had its way, the stove and rear wall were decorated in bright red sauce.  Thankfully the direction was away from me.  Otherwise the incident could have been quite painful...rather than just embarrassing.  And I'd done my laundry for the day.

thanks for my first laugh of the day.  You never fail to amuse even in the worst of circumstances.  That description was perfect.

• Like 2

The saga continues...last night before I went to bed I put the pot with the sauce in the blast chiller.  Somehow I neglected to turn it on.

• Sad 1

I will never again (until next time) use an appliance without reading the manual.  I wanted to bake up some frozen chicken wings which I usually do in the CSO.  I decided to use the BSOA this time on the air fryer setting as I wanted crispy wings.  Not having been particularly happy with how my air fryer setting had been working, I pulled out the manual.  Well, lo and behold there is a button you need to press to properly use the air fryer button.  It is the super convect button.  It is a new-to-me button.  I always wondered why @Norm Matthews had such good results using his.  I now know.😳

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I will never again (until next time) use an appliance without reading the manual.  I wanted to bake up some frozen chicken wings which I usually do in the CSO.  I decided to use the BSOA this time on the air fryer setting as I wanted crispy wings.  Not having been particularly happy with how my air fryer setting had been working, I pulled out the manual.  Well, lo and behold there is a button you need to press to properly use the air fryer button.  It is the super convect button.  It is a new-to-me button.  I always wondered why @Norm Matthews had such good results using his.  I now know.😳

Like my blast chiller, you need to push the right buttons.

• Haha 5

I will never again slap the mosquito dining on my forearm when said forearm is attached to a hand that is holding a fresh glass of red wine. 

Mosquito is, at least, dead. Lucy is bearing an interesting pattern of red spots on her back.

• Haha 9
  • Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

No pictures?

She gave herself a healthy shake, transferring most of the droplet pattern to the couch. Then rolled on the rug. Ruins the whole Jackson Pollock effect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I shall never again allow thirteen empty Planters Peanuts jars to accumulate on my kitchen counter.  That could be unlucky.  So I added another to make fourteen.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again allow thirteen empty Planters Peanuts jars to accumulate on my kitchen counter.  That could be unlucky.  So I added another to make fourteen.

No wonder your appliances are in the bedroom. 

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

How do you use your collection of Planters Peanuts jars?  

I had plans of using them for food storage.  So far one of the fourteen holds half a pound of Rancho Gordo beans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had plans of using them for food storage.  So far one of the fourteen holds half a pound of Rancho Gordo beans.

I save large size Lipton's Ice Tea mix with the same intentions.   Husband goes through a matched set during the summer.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

13 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I save large size Lipton's Ice Tea mix with the same intentions.   Husband goes through a matched set during the summer.

I love reusing glass jars but am OCD about labels - they must come completely off or I just can't - in a makes me twitch way. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

I love reusing glass jars but am OCD about labels - they must come completely off or I just can't - in a makes me twitch way. 

I'm with you! Goo Gone is my best friend. When we moved here, 30 years ago, we couldn't get storage containers to save our soul. Now I just can't seem to throw any jars out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I'm with you! Goo Gone is my best friend. When we moved here, 30 years ago, we couldn't get storage containers to save our soul. Now I just can't seem to throw any jars out.

Agreed on all points.

eGullet member #80.