• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

51 minutes ago, heidih said:

My hands are pretty useless. I can't open many of the plastic ones. Using my teeth was a poor method. They are not heavy to me and mine were not expensive. I only have 2 and do not have a storage issue. Not a universal solution. I only offered it as a possible option.

Another plus is that they can be used in the CSO, which is exactly why I've started collecting them.  The sizes that will fit into the CSO aren't too heavy for me, even full and I have terrible arthritis.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Is it possible to ever totally remove that anchovy oil from shirt, pants and shoes?    My heart is with you.

Amazingly, yes.  I immediately took them off and worked laundry pre-treatment gel into them, let that sit, soaked overnight with Biz and Oxiclean and washed the next day.  I air dried them to avoid setting a stain and they came out OK.  The shoes were Crocs so I was able to scrub them with hot soapy water.  

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

57 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Oh, and I will never again set anything in that sliver of counter in front of the cutting board, so close to the edge that it can easily be brushed off by an elbow or sleeve or whatever.  Thought I learned my lesson last week when I knocked a jar of anchovies such that the oil poured down over my shirt, pants and into my shoes before the jar itself landed and shattered into a million tiny pieces and splattered more oil over cabinets in all direction.  Amazing how far the contents of such a small jar can go!  

Then, days later, I set my freshly built Old Fashioned down while I opened the cutlery drawer to get a cocktail spoon to stir it.  No need to stir, the end of the spoon nudged the glass just enough that my cocktail poured into the open drawer, distributed into each and every division of the cutlery holder so I had to wash all the silverware, the holder and the drawer at which point, I really wanted a drink!  I am generally not a spiller but clearly need to be more careful!.   

Cats blameless?  Those are some irritating spills. My worst ere two with the aluminum roasting pans sold over holidays. Some have a wire cradle. These did not, Cooking for a crowd and trying to minimize cleanup - right - opposite occurred. Spilling hot ham or turkey juice all over oven floor, door, and kitchen floor, plus personal splatter. Not fun. I wondered how my son and his buddies cooked the holiday turkeys for the feed the needy program in their 5th floor apartment in those pans and got them 2 bocks away to the community center. The answer was scoping out appropriate cardboard boxes ahead and nestling them with crumbled newspaper. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Assume anything about microwave-safe. The dish the old people use to re-heat their leftovers is ceramic with a plastic lid (vented). I occasionally use it for popcorn in the MW. Sitting 2 rooms away I heard an explosion Yup. I'll get blamed but am used to that. Life is a hoot huh!?

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again sneeze pouring a jigger full of rum.

You should wait to sneeze until you are drinking that Jigger of rum. According to recent reports you can disinfect quite a large area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 6/8/2021 at 10:47 PM, Smithy said:

Did it survive?

I'm happy to report that yes, it did, although it took me until this past week to find the courage to plug it in.  It worked on fish and again on pork tenderloin.  I do have a back-up but I prefer using the anova.  It isn't as bulky.

• Like 5

I have no control over whether this happens again or not. I certainly hope not. But next time I’ll make sure to wipe it up with a clean cloth so I can at least wring out the scotch into a clean glass. 

7FEF0159-5AB1-42D6-AB5C-E2415C3C1EC4.thumb.jpeg.7552c7832bbf6c97f51103796d5f5877.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have no control over whether this happens again or not. I certainly hope not. But next time I’ll make sure to wipe it up with a clean cloth so I can at least wring out the scotch into a clean glass. 

7FEF0159-5AB1-42D6-AB5C-E2415C3C1EC4.thumb.jpeg.7552c7832bbf6c97f51103796d5f5877.jpeg

That is a pretty interesting break line. I've only managed that with hot liquid into a pitcher.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Wow! Crazy stuff On the bright side, you weren’t holding the glass when it happened. 

• Like 2

Just now, DesertTinker said:

Wow! Crazy stuff On the bright side, you weren’t holding the glass when it happened. 

But I was. I picked it up and the bottom fell out. 

• Sad 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

But I was. I picked it up and the bottom fell out. 

I've heard that said of Scotch.

• Haha 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I shall never again allow the battery to die in my timer traceable to NIST whilst timing three dishes for dinner.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you ever walk into your bedroom for an avocado only to see your bed, lie down, and fall asleep?

I don't keep avocados in my bedroom, but I do very often walk into a room with one intention only to arrive and forget why I am there. No doubt a nap is a good option for times like those.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

I don't keep avocados in my bedroom, but I do very often walk into a room with one intention only to arrive and forget why I am there. No doubt a nap is a good option for times like those.

But I did not forget why I was there.

• Haha 2

I walk into my bedroom for pans, various dry food goods, tomatoes etc. I do generally remember why. Luckily no critter has come around and munched. Living in the wild...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, heidih said:

I walk into my bedroom for pans, various dry food goods, tomatoes etc. I do generally remember why. Luckily no critter has come around and munched. Living in the wild...

If you say so.   Given mice in the country and pantry moths in town, I'd say you were living on the edge.  In the country, we stash open crackers and like in the microwave when we leave.

eGullet member #80.

21 minutes ago, heidih said:

I walk into my bedroom for pans, various dry food goods, tomatoes etc

I walk into my bedroom with malice of forethought, to take a nap.    No apologies, no guilt.    Put phone on mute.   Call/text later if it's that important.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

15 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

If you say so.   Given mice in the country and pantry moths in town, I'd say you were living on the edge.  In the country, we stash open crackers and like in the microwave when we leave.

Yesss! Someone else that uses their microwave as a food safe. For us nothing has ever been bothered there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Never an open package and I have excellent ears. Found the ground squirrel entry point in garage, Through the screen of an open window over workbench. Bizarrely brought ranges in and  carefully eat leaving peels.  A comfort zone? Did it on some plush old carpet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DesertTinker said:

Yesss! Someone else that uses their microwave as a food safe. For us nothing has ever been bothered there.

I did have ants enter once during extreme drought. May happen again as California situation worsens.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I will never again try to stir my stew with a flyswatter. (It has a wooden handle like my wooden spoon, and of course since I had a wooden handle in my hand it must be my spoon--my husband stopped me before I did it).

• Haha 8