• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I love my full size food processor for certain things and carefully packed it 2 moves ago. Should have been in a box marked kitchen. Well the base and the box of blades was. Have yet to locate the bowl & lid. They have to be in the garage but no luck so far. Was gifted a small one which I make do with but it sure is frustrating. I know I did not leave it at the cottage and it sure did not fall off the moving truck. Ggrrr

I'm currently searching for my isi cream whipper that is lost since my move 7 months ago.  I'm fairly certain it's here but I sure can't find it.  My experience has been, unfortunately, that it won't show up until I have gotten a replacement.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I will never again put food in the refrigerator in a container without a tight-fitting lid. I just dumped a whole diced cooked pineapple on my laundry room floor. I don't need this today because I am trying to get over a bout of food poisoning from take out food on my birthday last Friday. That pineapple was going to taste good on my wonky stomach. One great big pineapple and the container in the trash.

• Sad 9

I've been changing over to these little by little but this container was just the right size to hold a whole cut-up cooked pineapple so I hung on to it. Now I am sorry I did. When I can get out and about again I will be looking for a new glass one. Thank you. I know they say that Amazon ships to Costa Rica but what they don't tell you is that the shipping fee and the customs fees are going to cost more than the product itself.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I've been changing over to these little by little but this container was just the right size to hold a whole cut-up cooked pineapple so I hung on to it. Now I am sorry I did. When I can get out and about again I will be looking for a new glass one. Thank you. I know they say that Amazon ships to Costa Rica but what they don't tell you is that the shipping fee and the customs fees are going to cost more than the product itself.

Plus you get to have broken glass with your pineapple on your laundry floor.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Plus you get to have broken glass with your pineapple on your laundry floor.

You have a major point right there because everything landed right on my foot before it took off for everywhere.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I find knock-offs

Costa Rica is the land of knock-offs but so far down here I haven't been able to find anything big enough to put a whole pineapple in. Plus, right now we are in a severe lockdown and all are Chinese knockoff stores are closed.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, lindag said:

was it under the sofa?

Back of the refrigerator.  A sofa is one thing I do not have.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just now, ElsieD said:

I will never again put my Anova sous vide circulator in a pot of water before checking to see that it is right side up.

Oh my God! I have lived in fear of putting my beloved Joule in upside down. It is clearly marked and so far I have not made that mistake. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I will never again put my Anova sous vide circulator in a pot of water before checking to see that it is right side up.

Did it survive?

• Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20 hours ago, Orbit said:

Thanks for the recommendation. I must not get out much, because I'd never seen the glass ones before.

Just be aware that if you have any physical issues the glass ones are heavy, especially the large ones!  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Just be aware that if you have any physical issues the glass ones are heavy, especially the large ones!  

You have to allow for weight of contents also.    Like a pound or so of lasagne or stew or leftover turkey...

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

4 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You have to allow for weight of contents also.    Like a pound or so of lasagne or stew or leftover turkey...

And are they not very expensive?  Plus you can't stack them when they are not in use.  Just thoughts...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

8 minutes ago, Darienne said:

And are they not very expensive?  Plus you can't stack them when they are not in use.  Just thoughts...

My hands are pretty useless. I can't open many of the plastic ones. Using my teeth was a poor method. They are not heavy to me and mine were not expensive. I only have 2 and do not have a storage issue. Not a universal solution. I only offered it as a possible option.

• Like 2

I really prefer plastic lidded glass containers but weight become a problem when packing a cooler.   In fact, cooler weight is a problem.   We bought a great cooler to carry stuff from city to country, only to find that when it was full it was almost too heavy for one of us to carry.   So we offed it and bought two small coolers which work well as long as we use plastic containers.    Three, say, two or three quart glass quart containers start adding substantially to total weight.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

12 minutes ago, heidih said:

My hands are pretty useless. I can't open many of the plastic ones. Using my teeth was a poor method. They are not heavy to me and mine were not expensive. I only have 2 and do not have a storage issue. Not a universal solution. I only offered it as a possible option.

They are a good option.  I have 3 sizes, 14 oz, 17 oz and 30 oz. All purchased a little over 10 years ago with no casualties yet. All small enough that the weight has not been an issue for me. I believe I have 6 each of the smaller sizes and 4 of the 30 oz and they can be stacked for storage.  They don't fully nest like some plastic containers so you are not saving much space but they nest enough that the stack is pretty stable in the cupboard.  The lids are plastic with a silicone gasket so there is some potential for odor transfer if used for stinkier items.  Hasn't been an issue for me thus far.  The lids are nice and flat on the top so they stack nicely in the fridge or freezer or you can put something else on top of them without risk of tipping.

I've been debating getting some larger sizes.  They are expensive enough that I'm not going to send them off full of leftovers without knowing I'll get them back so I'll likely wait til my stash of plastic wears out. 

Oh, and I will never again set anything in that sliver of counter in front of the cutting board, so close to the edge that it can easily be brushed off by an elbow or sleeve or whatever.  Thought I learned my lesson last week when I knocked a jar of anchovies such that the oil poured down over my shirt, pants and into my shoes before the jar itself landed and shattered into a million tiny pieces and splattered more oil over cabinets in all direction.  Amazing how far the contents of such a small jar can go!  

Then, days later, I set my freshly built Old Fashioned down while I opened the cutlery drawer to get a cocktail spoon to stir it.  No need to stir, the end of the spoon nudged the glass just enough that my cocktail poured into the open drawer, distributed into each and every division of the cutlery holder so I had to wash all the silverware, the holder and the drawer at which point, I really wanted a drink!  I am generally not a spiller but clearly need to be more careful!.   

• Sad 14

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I knocked a jar of anchovies such that the oil poured down over my shirt, pants and into my shoes before the jar itself landed and shattered into a million tiny pieces and splattered more oil over cabinets in all direction.

Is it possible to ever totally remove that anchovy oil from shirt, pants and shoes?    My heart is with you.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.