• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

On 4/19/2021 at 6:50 AM, rotuts said:

aromatic was it ?

I am like a truffle pig/dog regarding potatoes and oranges. The produce guy at Albertsons already knows I will alert him to a rotter in the bin ;)

• Like 5

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again spill peanuts in the dining room.

What's your plan to accomplish this noble task?  Certainly growing older won't work.

• Haha 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

What's your plan to accomplish this noble task?  Certainly growing older won't work.

Finish eating all the peanuts at the computer before carrying the empty bowl back to the kitchen.  Usually works.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 4/28/2021 at 7:43 AM, heidih said:

I am like a truffle pig/dog regarding potatoes and oranges. The produce guy at Albertsons already knows I will alert him to a rotter in the bin ;)

I'd not been to that market in years but ended up there today and he was on duty. He smiled with his eyes  (masked) when I told him I mentioned him on an international food site.. We talked about the rattlesnake potato smell. He associates it with the cooked meat and more funky than taters. Can't have those kinda conversations every day :)

• Like 5

I shall never again put the paddles from my Zojirushi bread machine...somewhere...while the pan is waiting to be washed.

To clarify: I ran the dishwasher with the paddles in it, then did the sink full of hand-wash items later in the evening. The next morning, when I went to assemble the bread machine and put it away, the paddles were nowhere to be found and have not yet turned up despite a diligent search. This suggests to me that it wasn't a random "put them down somewhere and walk away," but the more insidious "I should put these in this specific, COMPLETELY LOGICAL SPOT where I won't forget them..."

• Haha 5
  • Confused 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

44 minutes ago, chromedome said:

COMPLETELY LOGICAL SPOT where I won't forget them..."

OMG, been there done that so many times I can't even count the times. Nowadays I could put it down to old age dementia, but if that's the case, I've had old age dementia for 40 years. Take heart, you will eventually find them in the most illogical place possible and take my word for it, it's not going to get better.

By the way, you might check the freezer. Last week that is where I finally found my car keys.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I shall never again put the paddles from my Zojirushi bread machine...somewhere...while the pan is waiting to be washed.

Sure you will.  You are either one of those kind of folks...or you are OCD, like me.  That's why Ed always knows where to find things, (assuming he wasn't the last to use it), and I never do (assuming he was the last to use it.)  This very morning, half an hour ago, being a prime example....  Still...he brings me coffee at 6:30 am now so much is forgiven and forgotten. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Sure you will.  You are either one of those kind of folks...or you are OCD, like me.  That's why Ed always knows where to find things, (assuming he wasn't the last to use it), and I never do (assuming he was the last to use it.)  This very morning, half an hour ago, being a prime example....  Still...he brings me coffee at 6:30 am now so much is forgiven and forgotten. 

I knew the "completely logical spot" part would resonate for a lot of people, which is why I mentioned it. :P

In fairness, I bake bread every week and have owned the Zo for five years or so, and this is the first time it's happened. I fall between you and Ed, ordinarily: I'm not one of those "a place for everything, and everything in its place" types, because by the time I figure out an optimal spot for everything I'm usually packing up to move again and the process starts all over (the three years I spent at my last rental was, sadly, one of my longer stints). I *am* ordinarily a creature of habit, so most things tend to gravitate to - if not the same place - at least a consistent shortlist of spots. It's relatively rare for something to go missing.

Coffee delivery from the earlier-waking spouse is a Very Good Thing. In our household it's me, and my GF unaccountably prefers her coffee at room temperature, so I place a mug on her nightstand in the morning while she sleeps. There's actually some context there, which I'll probably post in the "How are you doing?" thread.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

To clarify: I ran the dishwasher with the paddles in it, then did the sink full of hand-wash items later in the evening. The next morning, when I went to assemble the bread machine and put it away, the paddles were nowhere to be found and have not yet turned up despite a diligent search. This suggests to me that it wasn't a random "put them down somewhere and walk away," but the more insidious "I should put these in this specific, COMPLETELY LOGICAL SPOT where I won't forget them..."

Did you check the trash can?  Sometimes things go in there all by themselves.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Did you check the trash can?  Sometimes things go in there all by themselves.

The possibility occurred to me belatedly, but - in the immortal words of Austin Powers - "Sadly, that bridge had sailed."

• Sad 5

Coffee delivery from the earlier-waking spouse is a Very Good Thing. In our household it's me, and my GF unaccountably prefers her coffee at room temperature, so I place a mug on her nightstand in the morning while she sleeps. There's actually some context there, which I'll probably post in the "How are you doing?" thread.

About that 'earlier-waking' thingy...No...I wake him every morning to get up and get it.  Sad to say, I am still in recovery (I hope) mode from the Lumbar Spinal Stenosis attack.  I have always been an early riser...but now I don't rise...I just wake early.  For decades, I was the coffee bringer.  Still, I am thrilled that he has taken over and is also feeding the dogs their morning meal and bringing me my breakfast in bed.  I am still living in hope.  

And I am one of those "a place for everything, and everything in its place" types because unless someone in the group is, sheer and permanent chaos will reign.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

17 minutes ago, Darienne said:

And I am one of those "a place for everything, and everything in its place" types because unless someone in the group is, sheer and permanent chaos will reign.  

You say that like it's a bad thing? :P

Probably my own style could best be described as "chaotic, but within boundaries;" more like a canal than a river, to draw an awkward analogy. I like to delude myself that if I ever live in one place long enough I'll get to the "place for everything" stage, but the reality is that my ADD will probably prevent me from attaining the "...and everything in its place."

• Haha 2

Lets go back to those 

Logical Spots :

I needed my BirthCertificate

to renew my MA drivers L  on line.

OK

of course the is this   Star this , but Not that these days

re Airline Travel 

I do have a PassPort , but its expired 

I have not , expired , just yet.

so  :  looked here , there , various other places

for the BC :  nada

ordered (2 ) from CA

10 -12 weeks  , $ 25 USD each

sooo

get a few Bazillion of the new APPL  finder beep-ey 

things , just get lots

and attach these to those soooo valuable things 

and , well ?  nice for you

and F.D. :  I do own a few AAPL shares 

more than my digits  on my hands 

and ab0ut the same as my toes .

Buy Buy  

id have saved $$ 50 USD  w an APPL finder 

just saying 

and yes indeed :

drunk.jpeg.ce818abbdf98a27f90be32839e804397.jpeg

• Haha 2

Our son and I live by the 5 minute rule.   All important stuff should be retrievable in 5 minutes.   Not filed alphabetically nor in color coded folders.    Sometimes in a shoebox.  BUT same stuff put in same place every time so that it's THERE and snatchable on short notice.   Husband, on the other hand, files and crossfiles. but asks ME, rather says, "What did you do with the ...?    I have finally got across how annoying an accusation is,so he more recently asks, "Where is the ...?"

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

23 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

"What did you do with the ...?

OMG YES.  I CONSTANTLY get this when I haven't touched a THING on his desk etc.  My blood pressure shoots and spouts from the top of my head.

I've learned to act like I didn't hear him and feign having to go to the bathroom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I love my full size food processor for certain things and carefully packed it 2 moves ago. Should have been in a box marked kitchen. Well the base and the box of blades was. Have yet to locate the bowl & lid. They have to be in the garage but no luck so far. Was gifted a small one which I make do with but it sure is frustrating. I know I did not leave it at the cottage and it sure did not fall off the moving truck. Ggrrr

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

40 minutes ago, heidih said:

Should have been in a box marked kitchen.

I've heard it said that when you move you unpack 90% of everything in the first 10 days. The other 10% can take 10 years. If it has been more than 10 years it is time to buy a new one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, heidih said:

Well the base and the box of blades was. Have yet to locate the bowl & lid.

13 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

If it has been more than 10 years it is time to buy a new one.

Or look into availability of a replacement bowl and lid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Or look into availability of a replacement bowl and lid

Sensible advice. Only 4+ years and the small one is buried past 2 nonfunctional exercise bikes they won't let me dispose of and a lawn tractor with a flat tire... If I have a handyman in to do something major  I'll enlist him.  Did find a wooden skateboard and my son's first surfboard!

• Like 2