• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

7 hours ago, Darienne said:

I hate my hand mixer.

It starts at 'fast' and goes up to 'incredibly stupidly fast'. 

It seems to be brand-independent. When my GF and I got together I had a 70s-vintage Sunbeam (five finely differentiated shades of too slow), and we each had one modern hand mixer, mine a Black & Decker and hers a Hamilton Beach ( each with 5 finely differentiated shades of super-fast). I passed along my B&D to one of our daughters but we still have the HB and the Sunbeam.

I mostly use my stand mixer, instead.

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

It seems to be brand-independent. When my GF and I got together I had a 70s-vintage Sunbeam (five finely differentiated shades of too slow), and we each had one modern hand mixer, mine a Black & Decker and hers a Hamilton Beach ( each with 5 finely differentiated shades of super-fast). I passed along my B&D to one of our daughters but we still have the HB and the Sunbeam.

I mostly use my stand mixer, instead.

And do you have your stand mixer sitting out?  There's no room in our kitchen for the stand mixer to sit out and it's a ginormous 7-quart monster.  And so I never use it except when forced to...maybe once or twice a year.  At most.  (And yes, I am crabbing.) 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

23 minutes ago, Darienne said:

And do you have your stand mixer sitting out?  There's no room in our kitchen for the stand mixer to sit out and it's a ginormous 7-quart monster.  And so I never use it except when forced to...maybe once or twice a year.  At most.  (And yes, I am crabbing.) 

I don't have room for mine to sit out, but at present it's not an issue for me to haul it out on an as-needed basis.

Long-term, well...my GF and I have been discussing various options we've seen on home-reno shows. There are platforms that raise and lower, and suchlike, and keep the appliance in question out of sight until it's needed. We hope to tailor our still-hypothetical next home for aging in place, and that's a definite consideration.

In this regard her esthetic appreciation of a clean, uncluttered countertop and my practical desire for an unencumbered workspace dovetail nicely. :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, Darienne said:

You have a farm.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, chromedome said:

I don't have room for mine to sit out, but at present it's not an issue for me to haul it out on an as-needed basis.

Long-term, well...my GF and I have been discussing various options we've seen on home-reno shows. There are platforms that raise and lower, and suchlike, and keep the appliance in question out of sight until it's needed. We hope to tailor our still-hypothetical next home for aging in place, and that's a definite consideration.

In this regard her esthetic appreciation of a clean, uncluttered countertop and my practical desire for an unencumbered workspace dovetail nicely. :)

Jester Jack-in-the-Box Wind-up Toy - - Schylling - Yellow Octopus

• Haha 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

3 hours ago, haresfur said:

Jester Jack-in-the-Box Wind-up Toy - - Schylling - Yellow Octopus

Oh, don't think for a moment that the potential for comedic malfunction hasn't occurred to me... :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Darienne said:

it's a ginormous 7-quart monster. 

I've got the same one and it weighs a ton. A year ago, I fell down and badly injured my upper left arm. I had it in a sling for over 3 months and for about 2 months more I still couldn't lift anything. The monster sat across the kitchen from my only grounded outlet that I could use for it. No way to leave it there because that was the one that I use for every other appliance that I have. I went through bread withdrawal like crazy because that was the beginning of our pandemic and not only could I not drive one armed I couldn't get anywhere to buy decent bread. About once a week I would go over and lift up the monster to see if I could carry it yet and when I did, I knew I was on the road to recovery. I have since had a grounded outlet put in the counter where it sits. I will never again be completely without my KitchenAid.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I shall never again spill my mai tai at the keyboard.  Should you believe this I have a bridge.  Least this time the Baccarat did not break.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again spill my mai tai at the keyboard.  Should you believe this I have a bridge.  Least this time the Baccarat did not break.

If it was the second mai tai I get it. If it was the first, you have my sympathy. Doesn't Baccarat make a sippy cup?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

If it was the second mai tai I get it. If it was the first, you have my sympathy. Doesn't Baccarat make a sippy cup?

First.

24 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh I managed to break all my heavy beautiful Waterford goblets- and that was with Formica counters and VCT floor. It’s a talent I tell ya

Well, now, that's sad.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again find a liquified potato in my bedroom.

Do tell....

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again find a liquified potato in my bedroom.

Ah, so that’s where your “broiled fish” smell, mentioned on another thread, came from.
On the bright side, you know your sense of smell isn’t broken.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Darienne said:

Do tell....

It was on my ironing board, not with the rest of the potatoes.  Not sure why I would have put it there.  (Obviously I do not iron very often.)

• Haha 8

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It was on my ironing board, not with the rest of the potatoes.  Not sure why I would have put it there.  (Obviously I do not iron very often.)

Perhaps you were attempting a novel approach to potato pancakes?

I've occasionally been that innovative after a certain degree of alcohol... :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Use cornstarch instead of baking powder in cornbread. 😪

At least I hope I never...

2F2B420D-3A93-4B0D-88D6-92BC5AD31240.jpeg.b718b3e553635eb42b89f1de4dde3b74.jpeg

Flat. Dense. In the trash can. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

• 2 weeks later...

... prepare dinner and load it into the slow cooker, turn the switch to the appropriate setting, then go out for the rest of the day, only to return hours later to find that I hadn't  plugged the damn thing into the electric socket!

Dinner may be delayed!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto