• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

Here's my near-miss contribution to the topic. I will never again turn on the oven without double-checking its contents first.

20210131_105023.jpg

The honey had crystallized and was inside for gentle warming by the pilot light. Fortunately I remembered before the oven had reached its full 350F.

• Like 11

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

23 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Here's my near-miss contribution to the topic. I will never again turn on the oven without double-checking its contents first.

20210131_105023.jpg

The honey had crystallized and was inside for gentle warming by the pilot light. Fortunately I remembered before the oven had reached its full 350F.

Well now, that could have sure made a mess.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Well now, that could have sure made a mess.

I'd have been tempted to just sell the trailer as-is, or at least buy a new oven!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

I'd have been tempted to just sell the trailer as-is, or at least buy a new oven!

I had visions of the inside of your oven covered with sticky honey-coated itty bitty shards of glass. 😱

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I had visions of the inside of your oven covered with sticky honey-coated itty bitty shards of glass. 😱

Methinks that is a plastic honey bottle.  I do this often . I store baked goods in the non-functional MW which is built in above the wall oven. Suddenly a room away I smell gingerbread or cookies. When the nasty ants got into the MW I started using the oven which has a better seal. Scorched some stuff and melted some plastic. Luckily I store my heavy sheet pans in there pre-lined with foil. 

• Sad 2

On 1/25/2021 at 12:36 PM, kayb said:

I will never again fail to closely read the label on the spice box when making posole, only to discover when I put the spices away I used cinnamon instead of ancho chile powder. Same style box, same size, sit in the same part of the cabinet. 

After I cursed, I added the ancho chile and sent up a brief prayer to the Gods of Weird Spice Combos, and restarted the Instant Pot.

I had a ditsy cousin who once used cayenne in apple pie, mistaking it for cinnamon.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

eGullet member #80.

53 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

27 minutes ago, heidih said:

Methinks that is a plastic honey bottle.  ...

Heidi's right, it's a plastic honey bottle. So no honey-coated shards of glass, but lots of honey-coated melted plastic all over the rack and oven bottom might have been as bad. So glad I caught it in time!

• Like 5

I shall never agin set aside half a cooked acorn squash to cool after dinner and then forget to refrigerate it overnight.

Actually, I’m pretty sure I will do it agin with something else in the future.

Now, will I die if I eat the squash?

1 minute ago, lindag said:

I shall never agin set aside half a cooked acorn squash to cool after dinner and then forget to refrigerate it overnight.

If it is filled with raw pork you might. 

• Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, lindag said:

Nah, I'd say you'll be fine.  But, as others always say to be safe, toss it.  But I'd eat it.  You're in Montana....you're not in a tropical climate...

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, lindag said:

Thanks!  No meat in it, just butter, brown sugar and S&P.

I am really uptight about food safety but even I would eat this.  

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 1/31/2021 at 2:52 PM, Smithy said:

The way pilot lights use gas,a new oven might not be that expensive. When we redid the kitchen and got a pilotless range , we used so much less gas that our propane company actually called to ask what was up.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, lindag said:

try it and report back if you do

• Haha 6

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 3 weeks later...

Put food item in fridge (to avoid critters), grab the bags when I hear early trash truck - without making sure they are "trash". Ready to bake marinated chicken and - nope - apparently at dump now. There go dinner plans and leftover plans for next 3 days.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 10

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Shocking!  Shocking, I say!

It is when you take a sip and were expecting something sweet.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Sometimes I think this topic should be sub-titled:  "Ya wanna bet?"

I hate my hand mixer.  It's a Hamilton Beach and when I bought it in Moab five years ago, it was already an old model.  That's what is for sale in Moab...out-of-date appliances.  Sorry, I am crabbing.

It starts at 'fast' and goes up to 'incredibly stupidly fast'.  So I was mixing liquid coconut oil, carob and peanut butter with added bits of this and that, and turned it up to 'incredibly stupidly fast' and completely lost control of it.  Yes, a viscous brown mess was suddenly all over the kitchen and me.  Many rude words later...which somehow Mr. Ed reading two rooms away completely missed...the kitchen is clean.  I am clean.  The mixture is in the freezer solidifying.  And I am wondering when I'll do it again.  You'd think I'd learn.  You'd think.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.