• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again operate my new blender without the lid in place.

Good luck on that one.  Good luck to many of us on that one! :raz:

• Haha 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Never again will I buy soda and not put it in plastic bags for transport. I bought a couple of 6-packs of mini cans of soda for the office this morning and apparently when arranging them in my arm for carrying I must have caught one of the tabs just enough to open it slightly and to get soaked on one leg with Coca-Cola. Of course, it was the ONE variety with sugar, couldn't have been the sugar free types...at least I am wearing a base layer under my jeans so I don't really feel the soaked denim. Yuck.

• Sad 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Never again will I buy soda and not put it in plastic bags for transport. I bought a couple of 6-packs of mini cans of soda for the office this morning and apparently when arranging them in my arm for carrying I must have caught one of the tabs just enough to open it slightly and to get soaked on one leg with Coca-Cola. Of course, it was the ONE variety with sugar, couldn't have been the sugar free types...at least I am wearing a base layer under my jeans so I don't really feel the soaked denim. Yuck.

On the bright side it could have been a 2 liter bottle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I shall never again neglect to add orgeat to my mai tai.  The orgeatless mai tai didn't taste half bad, but I went back and stirred in a bit of orgeat anyhow.

• Like 2

I will never again under-estimate the impact of filling an instant pot with a huge volume of very cold and very thick mole' sauce and 2 kilos of turkey thighs.

I will never again under-estimate the impact of consuming rosemary mojitos prior to making dinner.

Our Christmas Eve dinner plate:

plate.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

@gulfporter, it was Christmas last year when I prepared my very first instant pot meal, which involved filling the pot very full of stew and tomato sauce, and then turning on the slow cooker on Low . . .  :(

In the end, I eventually figured out how to bring the pot up to pressure, and then set it on slow cook High.

(For those who don't know: an Instant Pot on slow cook cycle set on Low is on warm, an IP on Medium is on Low, and an IP on High is high).

Only saving grace, my company drank lots of wine, so were not as alarmed as I.

And I didn't have tons of wine until later . . .

Edited to clarify: And a full Instant Pot warms food very very slowly.

Edited by TdeV (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I shall never again eat an expired girl scout nor a girl scout chocolate peanut butter cookie that expired in 2015.  Spent some time last night in the bathroom.  Most bitter, rancid thing imaginable.

• Sad 6

I will never again buy a can of PAM without reading all of the label.

It said PAM, I bought it. 

Then I made late-night chicken wings in the air fryer.

I mix half cornstarch and half flour and season with a boat load of cayenne and some Lawry's salt.

Arrange in the air fryer and spray with PAM, close it up and shut the lid.

10 seconds into it I'm asking myself where that weird vanilla scent is coming from.

PAM baking spray with vanilla, WTF is that? And why does it need vanilla in it? Who doesn't add vanilla into their baked goods?

After cooking, the wings were then tossed in a sauce of Frank's, El Yucateco Caribbean and coarsely ground black pepper. 

With enough El Yucateco, I think I killed the vanilla flavoring.  

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

I will never again fail to closely read the label on the spice box when making posole, only to discover when I put the spices away I used cinnamon instead of ancho chile powder. Same style box, same size, sit in the same part of the cabinet. 

After I cursed, I added the ancho chile and sent up a brief prayer to the Gods of Weird Spice Combos, and restarted the Instant Pot.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, kayb said:

I will never again fail to closely read the label on the spice box when making posole, only to discover when I put the spices away I used cinnamon instead of ancho chile powder. Same style box, same size, sit in the same part of the cabinet. 

After I cursed, I added the ancho chile and sent up a brief prayer to the Gods of Weird Spice Combos, and restarted the Instant Pot.

Have you tried cinnamon in tuna salad?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, kayb said:

If you couldn't smell the cinnamon immediately, you probably need new cinnamon! 

That said, a little cinnamon can work in savory sauces. It's in many garam masala  and ras el hanout recipes.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kayb said:

My uncle used to be a regional rep for McCormick and just about everything I had looked the same, so this happened to me a LOT.  What worked for me was dividing up my stuff - herbs go on a rack on the wall, one in-cabinet turntable for savory things - garlic powder, chile powder, pepper, etc., and a different turntable for sweet stuff - cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, etc.  

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Or you might want to consider a COVID-19 test!😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

That said, a little cinnamon can work in savory sauces. It's in many garam masala  and ras el hanout recipes.

The cinnamon is older than dirt. Which is why it doesn't get used much. I had forgotten that container was still there.

It isn't, now.

The soup was passable. Not as good as usual, but passable.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

In my house, spices are filed alphabetically. Before DH and I lived together, his were filed the same way, but unlabelled! 🤣

Mine are in alphabetical order as well.  As for John, the only spices/seasonings he had before we starting living together was salt and pepper.  

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

In my house, spices are filed alphabetically. Before DH and I lived together, his were filed the same way, but unlabelled! 🤣

My spice jars are often labeled, but labeled with what they originally contained.  Normally this is not a problem, as mustard seed does not look much like rosemary.  Not only have I used cinnamon in tuna salad, I once tried Modernist Cuisine barbecue rub on rice pudding.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Mine are on a few shelves, ordered as to my concepts of what they are mainly for.  Therefore the shelf with cinnamon also holds nutmeg, ginger and cloves.  Only four to a shelf you ask?  Well the cinnamon is in a much larger container because it's used at a much faster rate.  And so on.  My spice cabinet is built into a wall by Ed years ago.  Very clever.  

• Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.