• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again stare at my timer* and have no idea whatsoever what it is I'm timing.

*traceable to NIST.

Maybe you butt-dialed the timer? I make a lot of iced tea. I steep the hot tea for five minutes and have learned to set the timer every time and never leave the room. And yet when it goes off I'm still surprised about half the time.

• Haha 8

8 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I ... have learned to set the timer every time

I often set the timer for various cooking options. My trouble is remembering to start the timer after setting it. 20 minute boiled eggs, anyone?

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I will never again mix up my canisters of flour.

Well, at least you weren't taking a course in viennoiseries at Le Cordon Bleu and came within a hair of throwing a big bowl of flour into one of those huge bins of sugar.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Sad 1

I will never again walk outside to water some thirsty plants while broiling tofu (coated in olive oil). Spectacular flames like a Hallmark yuletide fire. Tossing baking soda in did not seem like a plan and the flames were so intense I did not dare slide another sheet pan in to smother. I played ostrich and ran. Complete charcoal.  Now I am avoiding cleaning the soot baked glass door of the Bosch oven which is impossible under the best of circumstances,,,but I want to bake bread. Deep breath... Gawd I hate that glass door.

• Sad 11

42 minutes ago, heidih said:

I will never again walk outside to water some thirsty plants while broiling tofu (coated in olive oil). Spectacular flames like a Hallmark yuletide fire. Tossing baking soda in did not seem like a plan and the flames were so intense I did not dare slide another sheet pan in to smother. I played ostrich and ran. Complete charcoal.  Now I am avoiding cleaning the soot baked glass door of the Bosch oven which is impossible under the best of circumstances,,,but I want to bake bread. Deep breath... Gawd I hate that glass door.

We use no-heat-needed Easy-Off oven cleaner to clean the soot from our glass fireplace doors. That gets the worst, and then we finish with simple Windex. Perhaps that would help with your oven door window? So sorry to read about the mess!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

16 minutes ago, Smithy said:

We use no-heat-needed Easy-Off oven cleaner to clean the soot from our glass fireplace doors. That gets the worst, and then we finish with simple Windex. Perhaps that would help with your oven door window? So sorry to read about the mess!

Thanks, I have to read the on-line Bosch forums. The pain with these doors is that they are double glass and crud gets in between - removing and cleaning ill advised by "experts"

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Thanks, I have to read the on-line Bosch forums. The pain with these doors is that they are double glass and crud gets in between - removing and cleaning ill advised by "experts"

It's one of those little frustrations to actually go to the trouble to clean the oven door and have it still look dirty. My Asko has a triple glazed door. The manual only tells you how to get the whole glass sandwich out but it was pretty simple to figure out the rest. 

Edited by haresfur
redundant, redundant, redundant (log)

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Remember I am right brain and not gonna go there. Plus the glass is compromised by abrasive cleaning by others, I just don't get the whole glass thing - what can yu see nyway? Open the door fir a sec if you are concerned. Disign overthink without testing My tiny sample pool hates this door.

16 hours ago, heidih said:

Remember I am right brain and not gonna go there. Plus the glass is compromised by abrasive cleaning by others, I just don't get the whole glass thing - what can yu see nyway? Open the door fir a sec if you are concerned. Disign overthink without testing My tiny sample pool hates this door.

Fair enough. Just don't worry about it looking dirty and you won't be able to see through it. Problem solved.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Fair enough. Just don't worry about it looking dirty and you won't be able to see through it. Problem solved.

I could care less - it is my stepmother who freaks...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again use my new Kuvings juicer without something in place to catch the juice.

Bet you will!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again run out of cubeb.  Possibly I never had cubeb.  Most likely I have cubeb and cannot find it.

Allspice?  I use 2/3 allspice 1/3 white pepper as a substitute.

Black pepper works about as well.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again run out of cubeb.  Possibly I never had cubeb.  Most likely I have cubeb and cannot find it.

Some of us have never heard of cubeb.  Learned something today, thank you.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again spill my mai tai over my keyboard and down my pants.

No, the Baccarat tumbler did not break.

oh dear.  is your keyboard now officially dead?  ed worries all the time that i am going to spill my coffee on the new laptop. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

oh dear.  is your keyboard now officially dead?  ed worries all the time that i am going to spill my coffee on the new laptop. 

After my last iced tea killing keyboard several years ago my IT guy assured me the newer laptops have a barrier. Pat the dear man on the head and  tell him to cross that worry off his list.

4 hours ago, Darienne said:

Keyboard is still working, thanks, although I just noted it was glued to the desk.

Some years ago when Compaq was still in business they dumped their inventory of pre-Windows keyboards without the Windows key.  I invested in a case of keyboards for a few dollars.  For a while I gave keyboards away as gifts.  Mai tai's or no, I am still well supplied with keyboards.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again operate my new blender without the lid in place.

Now that it's broken in, you can operate your now old blender without the lid in place

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1