• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

32 minutes ago, TdeV said:

You got a webcam in there?

Nope.  The cable comes out of the wall at the head of a stairwell.  Incredibly poor design.  My only choice is to route the cable through the middle of the living room.  And because I rent, Comcast refuses to relocate the cable through the wall.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

34 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

@JoNorvelleWalker How about this? Covers the switch, yet easily removed, no tools needed. 

Yes, that might well work.  I think I'll try nail polish first but if you see me in this thread again I'll order one of the magnetic covers.

• Like 1

@JoNorvelleWalker - do you have a small decorative basket?  One that would cover the switchplate?  Put a small nail above the switchplate and hang the basket on it.  My mom did that with a weirdly placed outlet in her kitchen once.  To use it, she simply lifted off the basket.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@JoNorvelleWalker - do you have a small decorative basket?  One that would cover the switchplate?  Put a small nail above the switchplate and hang the basket on it.  My mom did that with a weirdly placed outlet in her kitchen once.  To use it, she simply lifted off the basket.  

There is another switch on the same wall plate that I use frequently, so a basket would not be ideal.  I tried red nail polish.  The switch is dark brown and the color didn't show.  I ordered the magnetic cover that @DesertTinker suggested.  Soup is cold again.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Start a stock without setting a timer for myself when I am downstairs doing other chores.

I now need to replace a non-stick stock pot.  Husband was upstairs but in the bedroom sleeping.

• Sad 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Use my tortilla press to make thin hamburger patties.

995CF0A6-67C5-4F4F-B17C-F4045D30E1E4.thumb.jpeg.e64dd431d528e2ca4bc3f3de4a6224de.jpeg

They were way too thin and fell apart as soon as they hit the steel on the grill - but they were delicious! And were done in just seconds!

9BB73C76-447E-4C04-A0DA-495956A01F90.thumb.jpeg.5a6e6f82f6d343758c0feb532eb92420.jpeg

I dunno, looks to me like you're on to something here!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

25 minutes ago, kayb said:

@robirdstx -- have you tried GrillGrates? They make a big difference for me in things not sticking to the grill. Pricy, but I guess they last forever.

Thank you, but the burgers did not stick. They were cooked on our pizza steel, which had been well preheated and brushed with oil. The patties were just too thin.

• Like 1

I'm assuming they were not frozen when cooked?  My guess is the steel was too hot.   Did the blend have enough fat?  20% or more should've kept them together.  (Now I want one with onions)

Edited by Eatmywords (log)
  • Like 1

That wasn't chicken

4 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

I'm assuming they were not frozen when cooked?  My guess is the steel was too hot.   Did the blend have enough fat?  20% or more should've kept them together.  (Now I want one with onions)

Yeah.  McDonald's regular size burgers are really thin and get cooked from frozen.  Or at least they did back when I worked there in high school.....it's been a while 🙃

46 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

They were not frozen. The steel was not too hot. They were actually just too thin (think corn tortilla thin)  - they fell apart in my hand as I was putting them down on the steel. 80/20 ground chuck.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

42 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

They were not frozen. The steel was not too hot. They were actually just too thin (think corn tortilla thin)  - they fell apart in my hand as I was putting them down on the steel. 80/20 ground chuck.

Ahh, ok, the pic is deceiving, they don't look full on tortilla press thin but yea, that thin, no chance.  I do like the idea, maybe a much softer press next time?  : ) 

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

23 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Ahh, ok, the pic is deceiving, they don't look full on tortilla press thin but yea, that thin, no chance.  I do like the idea, maybe a much softer press next time?  : ) 

Yes, they did shrink up while cooking and finished thicker than when they were put down. I don’t know that a softer press would work with the tortilla press. Next time, we will try with another method and report back.

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

Yes, they did shrink up while cooking and finished thicker than when they were put down. I don’t know that a softer press would work with the tortilla press. Next time, we will try with another method and report back.

12 minutes ago, kayb said:

Maybe plastic wrap/waxed paper and a rolling pin?

If you're really determined to get uniformly pressed burgers to the thickness you specify, you could do worse than to buy this adjustable Bellemain Burger Press. I thought it a rather silly idea, but my other half has a thing about burgers being tightly packed and uniform. The lightweight plastic presses never released the burgers and seemed much more trouble than they were worth, so we bought this burger press last fall. I have to admit, now that we know the thickness we prefer, I like it too. It might be too much trouble for one or two burgers, but if you make them in advance and freeze them - as we do - it makes the job pretty darned easy.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 4 weeks later...

I shall never again poke and squeeze an unfamiliar avocado looking fruit from the refrigerator.  It once had been a lemon.  I know this only because it was in a bag with something vaguely yellow.  And no, before you ask, I put avocadoes in the bedroom.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I have to refrain from screaming every time my step mother pokes fruit - that is  NOT how ya test ripeness!

Had nothing to do with ripeness.  No fear of bacterial infection for the next millennium.

• Haha 2

Today was hilarious. On my end I now realize I have to intervene or speak up when something makes no sense in the kitchen. Stepmother bought that refridgerated Trader Joe  pizza dough couple weeks ago. Hhmmm, I picked the tightly sealed bag up from counter and saw huge bubbles. She'd left in out for hours near a sunny window. I gently mentioned it. She did not know about dough rising, yeast, etc. Can not assume anything!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Today was hilarious. On my end I now realize I have to intervene or speak up when something makes no sense in the kitchen. Stepmother bought that refridgerated Trader Joe  pizza dough couple weeks ago. Hhmmm, I picked the tightly sealed bag up from counter and saw huge bubbles. She'd left in out for hours near a sunny window. I gently mentioned it. She did not know about dough rising, yeast, etc. Can not assume anything!

Oh my! At least it wasn’t a package of meat sitting in the sun “so it would thaw faster”. Oh, wait, that might be a “spoiler“ for next weeks installment of “Heidi’s Adventures With Elders”... 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

Oh my! At least it wasn’t a package of meat sitting in the sun “so it would thaw faster”. Oh, wait, that might be a “spoiler“ for next weeks installment of “Heidi’s Adventures With Elders”... 

Well they religiously read Prevention Magazine so there is a tiny safeguard ;) I was just shocked that she new nothing about yeast & dough. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 3

I hope my husband will never again ...

put an opened, half drunk Barritt's ginger beer on the top shelf of the refrigerator door. 

Three washes of the floor and finally no sticky!!

• Sad 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

9 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

I hope my husband will never again ...

put an opened, half drunk Barritt's ginger beer on the top shelf of the refrigerator door. 

Three washes of the floor and finally no sticky!!

Don't count on it, my dear.  And I can quote you several variations on that theme....LOL.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.