• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

1 minute ago, Kim Shook said:

But, sadly, I will.  I have been incredibly clumsy lately.  

Ha when the docs come in to do tattoo removal at HomeBoy the docs ask me if I have an issue - low grade burns on my fingers from the nerve damage and high heat cooking. Just life.

• Like 3

I made a pineapple upside down cake (my favorite cake) a few days ago.  A couple of things went wrong.

This time I used a CI recipe which calls for fresh pineapple.  I didn't cook the pineapple long enough so it didn't soften sufficiently.  But the big disaster happened when after baking I tried to invert the cake onto my plate.

I had used my small cast iron skillet.  As directed I let the cake cool for ten minutes on a rack. 

When I tried to turn the cake over the pan was still very, very hot.  I used my big oven mitts which are a little clumsy and lost control of the pan and the cake.  The cake landed halfway onto the plate, then onto the counter where it broke into pieces, much cursing ensued..  Oy.  What a wreck.  I pieced it together as best I could but it certainly is not company-worthy.  

However, since I really make this so I can eat it for breakfast, it's not too big a deal.  But, you know what?  We still eat with our eyes.

Oh yes, I will make this again.  I will still use the cast iron pan but will let it cool a bit longer and use a kitchen towel instead of mitts.  And I'll use canned pineapple rings. 

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@lindag 

if you have parchment paper 

buttered or not

try it on the bottom of your pan next time.

the brown PP is far better than the white Ive found

more anti-stick ?

There was no sticking; my pan is thoroughly seasoned from many, many years of use.  It was just too heavy for me to handle while hot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lindag said:

There was no sticking; my pan is thoroughly seasoned from many, many years of use.  It was just too heavy for me to handle while hot.

Probably many of us, female types, know about pans and pots and other kitchen pieces that are just too big or too heavy to handle, hot or cold, but especially when hot.  Been there, dropped that....made a huge mess...

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Haha 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

7 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Sadly, more and more, I'm finding this to be true too.

Me, too.  When life gets a little more settled I'm going to be getting my Le Creuset out of the attic to photograph and try to sell.  It is just too heavy for me.  I'm going to switch over to the Imusa - lighter and cheap.  

• Like 3

I have found since breaking my wrist almost 10 years ago, I do not have nearly the strength in my right hand that I once did. Surely age does not have anything to do with this...

I was cursing my big cast-iron Dutch oven the the other day when I used it to make vegetable soup. It's an upper body workout, for sure.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, lindag said:

I made a pineapple upside down cake (my favorite cake) a few days ago.  A couple of things went wrong.

This time I used a CI recipe which calls for fresh pineapple.  I didn't cook the pineapple long enough so it didn't soften sufficiently.  But the big disaster happened when after baking I tried to invert the cake onto my plate.

I had used my small cast iron skillet.  As directed I let the cake cool for ten minutes on a rack. 

When I tried to turn the cake over the pan was still very, very hot.  I used my big oven mitts which are a little clumsy and lost control of the pan and the cake.  The cake landed halfway onto the plate, then onto the counter where it broke into pieces, much cursing ensued..  Oy.  What a wreck.  I pieced it together as best I could but it certainly is not company-worthy.  

However, since I really make this so I can eat it for breakfast, it's not too big a deal.  But, you know what?  We still eat with our eyes.

Oh yes, I will make this again.  I will still use the cast iron pan but will let it cool a bit longer and use a kitchen towel instead of mitts.  And I'll use canned pineapple rings. 

This is the part where I trot in to offer my usual infamous eG suggestion of turning the crumbled cake into a trifle. xD Any guests will think you meant to make a trifle.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

This is the part where I trot in to offer my usual infamous eG suggestion of turning the crumbled cake into a trifle. xD Any guests will think you meant to make a trifle.

Yup - a pretty glass bowl and you are set 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lindag said:

Maybe try a couple of these 😁

Irwin Quick-Grip Clamps - Easy Woodworking Clamps

• Haha 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 2 weeks later...

Order something without verifying size. The ridiculously tiny saucepan I ended up with - risking life and limb to retrieve from the roadside (lovely unshooled new UPS drivers) 

IMG_1327.JPG

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Order something without verifying size. The ridiculously tiny saucepan I ended up with - risking life and limb to retrieve from the roadside (lovely unshooled new UPS drivers) 

IMG_1327.JPG

That looks similar in size to my little All-Clad half quart “butter warmer” saucepan.  Very frustrating that it’s not what you wanted but mine is one of the handiest pans in my kitchen. Perfect for reducing small amounts. 

• Like 3

I'll share one from dad's wife just now. She forgot to grind their whole coffee beans at Costco so I unearthed 2 small grinders. Father insists on micro-managing grinding.The bickering starts and she accidentally dumps all the ground coffee (many batches) into the half full bag of beans. I left the room so as not to crack up in front of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 9:23 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I will never again go to bed only to realize I had inadvertently switched off my freezer with the ice cream inside.

This is no longer funny.  And probably should not even be in this thread except I can't find a better place to put it.  I live in an apartment and don't have control over the wiring.  My blast freezer/blast chiller is in the living room on a switched outlet.  The wall switch also controls a lamp.  I want to condition myself to turn the lamp off with its own switch, however forty years of habit is hard to break.

I could put duct tape over the wall switch, I suppose, but when I don't have anything in the freezer I prefer to use the wall switch.  Or I could paint the switch with nail polish which might just make me think for an instant before I turn it off.

It is a real problem.  Last night I switched off the light and the chilled soup.  The power was off for many hours before I realized it and the soup had warmed to 16C.  Clearly "I will never again" would not be truthful.  Does anyone have constructive suggestions?  And no, I am not going to pitch the soup.

• Sad 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

17 minutes ago, lindag said:

If it were me, I’d put tape over the switch just until I broke the habit.

This, or tape a piece of paper over the switch, keeping the bottom of the paper un-taped. . By the time you lift the paper up to get to the switch, you may remember you have something in the chiller. It'd make you think twice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have used a switched power bar and a long extension (for the lamp) in similar circumstances, but of course not every apartment lends itself to that scenario. A tripping hazard (and potential injury) is a somewhat higher priority than the occasional waste of food.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

This, or tape a piece of paper over the switch, keeping the bottom of the paper un-taped. . By the time you lift the paper up to get to the switch, you may remember you have something in the chiller. It'd make you think twice.

]

Habits - hard to break. In hospitals we used red cover plates for sensitive switches and outlets - also makes you think. I have a switch going down to basement with tape cuz it switches on a shrted pool light  for bleeping years - I still hit it without thinking cuz it is in bank with the stair light.

On a related note re "never again" Serious Eats did a decent piece on kitchen injuries today.  https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/05/kitchen-first-aid.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I have used a switched power bar and a long extension (for the lamp) in similar circumstances, but of course not every apartment lends itself to that scenario. A tripping hazard (and potential injury) is a somewhat higher priority than the occasional waste of food.

Not practical in this situation.  To add a bit of humor, my internet cable comes out the front of blast chiller as it is.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou