• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

29 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I will never again:

Put the water in the pail, set it on the scale, start putting in the flour without first checking the scale is on.  Having corrected that, I will never again forget to insert the kneading blades.  This is not likely to end well.

Sorry but I had to laugh.  It reminded me of the times I have forgotten to insert the dasher into my little ICE-20 churn.   Ended up with a bucket of frozen ice cream mixture.   Fortunately it was all redeemable with some time and effort.

Edit:  Could not delete that extra top box.  Very frustrating...

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Snacking while cutting and cleaning carrots I shall never again bite down on a mouthful of grit.  Even if it is organic grit.

• Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 weeks later...

Take a "quick: nap after a sleepless night while low simmering a small batch chicken stock...to be jolted awake by the scorched smell. Horrible thin walled pot is in the trash. Smell still lingering 15 hours later even with all  windows and doors open. Now to get  replacement - it was not mine. OOOH!

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Take a "quick: nap after a sleepless night while low simmering a small batch chicken stock...to be jolted awake by the scorched smell. Horrible thin walled pot is in the trash. Smell still lingering 15 hours later even with all  windows and doors open. Now to get  replacement - it was not mine. OOOH!

Whose pot was it?

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Whose pot was it?

Step mother (mother being a term and not a descriptor) If the pot is not spotless and shiny she goes off....I have about 6 weeks to figure it out before she shows up. The quarantines might hopefully extend that window.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

Step mother (mother being a term and not a descriptor) If the pot is not spotless and shiny she goes off....I have about 6 weeks to figure it out before she shows up. The quarantines might hopefully extend that window.

Before you give up, try PBW!

http://amzn.com/B0064O7XBA

I'd like to say I will never again do what I did last night, but although I know what happened, I don't know how or why it happened.

I cooked some linguine intending to have it with pesto, then decided to drain the pasta.

a) This was the first brainfart. I almost never drain long pasta through a sieve or colander. I lift it out with my trusty pasta-lifter-outer.

1904847283_20200327_1233331.thumb.jpg.18a49ab95a05849d328de6fd65a76fc9.jpg

pasta-lifter-outer

b) So, I lifted the pot up and moved it about 18 inches to the left where the sieve was ready over a bowl and poured the pasta and boiling water all over my leg!

It all happened so quicky, I really don't know what happened.

Boiling water everywhere, except in the bowl under the sieve. Pasta everywhere except in the sieve. Pain everywhere! Well, not really the latter. Just my right leg. It is cooked.

In the end I just went to bed feeling miserable and had no dinner! Today, I'm still finding bits of pasta all over the kitchen.

This is my leg today.

1895144056__20200327124722.thumb.jpg.763e3607a5c01c2eb9de6aef01cc775a.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Sad 20

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

This is my leg today.

So very sorry this happened to you. I think the stress of the whole lock down etc., although we might like to think we are not stressed, is really affecting us in ways we had never imagined. I used to take my many medications automatically without a thought. But suddenly I can’t remember if I took them or if I didn’t. So now it’s become a whole ritual of setting aside time to fully concentrate on this one simple task until it is completed and then writing down that I did it. I’m just saying this because I don’t think our brains are operating at full capacity and you have been under stress for much much longer. Anyway I wish you quick healing of your leg and a decent meal very soon. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

So very sorry this happened to you. I think the stress of the whole lock down etc., although we might like to think we are not stressed, is really affecting us in ways we had never imagined. I used to take my many medications automatically without a thought. But suddenly I can’t remember if I took them or if I didn’t. So now it’s become a whole ritual of setting aside time to fully concentrate on this one simple task until it is completed and then writing down that I did it. I’m just saying this because I don’t think our brains are operating at full capacity and you have been under stress for much much longer. Anyway I wish you quick healing of your leg and a decent meal very soon. 

Thanks @Anna N

I've been living under this for over 2 months now so, although it is lightening up, it's been a long strange trip!

In about half an hour, I'm going to attempt to  cook my planned meal again. Without the drama this time.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I so empathize with you.    I hope you put something cooking on it before bed.    Your comment about not understanding the cause is very familiar.    "How did it happen?"   The split second error that is not discernible.   

i  bring the boiling pot to the sink, about4 feet away, and pour through a large drainer.   The only possible error is when I miss and pour the whole contents down the garbage disposal.    -> salad for dinner.

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

11 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I hope you put something cooking on it before bed.   

I hope he didn’t. That would hurt!

• Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ouch @liuzhou My last boiling water incident was one Easter boiling the eggs. I was in the midst of 9 months of radial nerve palsy and dumped the water on my stomach. I did  not lose skin but it took time to become less sensitive. Before that it was steam as a teen. Boiling carrots, pushed lid back a fraction and tried to dump out the water without the carrots landing in the sink. Matching wrist burns. It took forever to heal. I did get lots of sympathetic looks as folks thought I'd slit my wrists! 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Sad 2

I shall never again carefully transpose a dry-measure cookie recipe to milligrams and then inadvertently add only half the sugar.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2