• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again prevent the entire library staff from leaving the building at closing time when I have forgotten my limes and daikon radish in the refrigerator upstairs.

Call security company (usually a sticker outside somewhere- trust me this is from experience)  and report unusual activity - they will zip out and you can save your goods.

23 minutes ago, heidih said:

Call security company (usually a sticker outside somewhere- trust me this is from experience)  and report unusual activity - they will zip out and you can save your goods.

Oh, I got my groceries.  But we all have to leave the building together and they all had to wait for me to run back upstairs.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again bake my bread before noticing the CSO drip tray was overflowing from the night before.

DDE84E4B-22EA-43B8-8292-BD05ACFCB5CA.thumb.jpeg.4e784765b9172d006479cd66fbc0bdd6.jpeg

it is pretty faded now and it never made the slightest bit of difference. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I shall never again thoroughly chill my bottle of sauvignon blanc, only to notice upon pouring it was actually pinot noir.  But as my mother would say, "It all goes to the same place."

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again ladle hot bean broth over my hand.  Even if it is Rancho Gordo.

Oddly I did that today when the doorbell rang and I jumped.  In the fridge now and will try to avoid flashback when I reheat tomorrow. It was delicious but ice water when it is 40F something in here - not ideal.  No scarring I think.

• Sad 5

My sister does not belong to this forum but if she did, tonight she would say " when sitting at the dining room table, I will never again shake the whipping cream carton without first checking to see if the cap is on it".

• Haha 9

31 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

My sister does not belong to this forum but if she did, tonight she would say " when sitting at the dining room table, I will never again shake the whipping cream carton without first checking to see if the cap is on it".

Oh that is just "normal" Did it with the almond milk yesterday but at least that is low in fat and easier to clean.  97 year old on the other hand had slippery fingers and knocked over a glass which shattered.  Blood thinners - not pretty movie scene. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh that is just "normal" Did it with the almond milk yesterday but at least that is low in fat and easier to clean.  97 year old on the other hand had slippery fingers and knocked over a glass which shattered.  Blood thinners - not pretty movie scene. 

I believe it about the blood thinners, having been on them.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

No! That's my sister! Are we related? I have another sister? Some sort of family secret?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I will never again preheat my oven for bread baking without removing the salt bed from last night's baked potato.

Ahhh, indeed.    Have I mentioned the time, not too long ago, when I preheated the oven while it held rising pizza dough?     Got the message when the scent of cooking bread wafted through the kitchen.     Was able to pull out maybe a third the original volume raw dough and we enjoyed a very small flat bread for lunch.      Lesson learned, I hope.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

eGullet member #80.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:53 PM, ElsieD said:

She whips cream by shaking the carton?

On 2/17/2020 at 9:53 PM, gfweb said:

She whips cream by shaking the carton?

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

She whips cream sitting down?

We were having apple crisp.  We like unwhipped whipping cream poured over the crisp.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Lying in bed about dawn, covers over my head trying to get back to sleep with a truck outside my window with the engine running...I realized I could simply weigh the bag of oats.  Yes, I added all the oats I had intended.  There must be some other explanation.

I shall never again expect success from a recipe I've tried to convert from dry volume to weight.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

We were having apple crisp.  We like unwhipped whipping cream poured over the crisp.

Oh my, I can almost taste that! Talk about "Gilding the Lily"...xD

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I did not expect to be here again so soon.  I'm starting to rival @JoNorvelleWalker , but not intentionally.  I often make the dough for bread in the bread machine but bake it in the oven.

I will never again:

Put the water in the pail, set it on the scale, start putting in the flour without first checking the scale is on.  Having corrected that, I will never again forget to insert the kneading blades.  This is not likely to end well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6