• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

I should have figured:

Cucumber

Chicken Stock

Emmentaler

Avocados

Lady Alice apple

Broccolini

Scallions (no points for guessing why)

Dry Aged Ribeye (for which Dry Aged NY Strip was substituted)

And yes, I ordered mushrooms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I should have figured:

Cucumber

Chicken Stock

Emmentaler

Avocados

Lady Alice apple

Broccolini

Scallions (no points for guessing why)

And yes, I ordered mushrooms.

Wow I should be so lucky as to be able to do this. Or perhaps not…

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Wow I should be so lucky as to be able to do this. Or perhaps not…

Amazon is purveyor of many fine delectables.  The hard part is waiting one or two hours for my stuff because I refuse to pay extra for fast delivery.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I will never again grab a hot bread baking Emile Henry pot with a flimsy kitchen towel.  The bread was safely rescued from the rubble.

BC94DAA5-F11B-4F92-B3DC-6D8EC6618AE4.thumb.jpeg.a8f0b13bfebf9867f5e7482732d63feb.jpeg

Bright Side: As well as saving the bread “from the rubble” the hot Emile Henry remains didn’t damage your floor! 

Just now, DesertTinker said:

Bright Side: As well as saving the bread “from the rubble” the hot Emile Henry remains didn’t damage your floor! 

Did not damage my hands either!

• Like 6

On 11/30/2019 at 7:09 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Still working that rib eye/Strip grift.

Good work by you.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Still working that rib eye/Strip grift.

Good work by you.

No, actually.  I gave approval for the substitution.

• Sad 1

I will never again ignore this equation:  

Sugary brown liquid (such as maple syrup) + hot black Darto pan with oil & browned bits + a moment of inattention = smoke alarm 

and perhaps more important, its corollary:

The speed of converting sugary mixtures to charcoal is inversely related to the scaling of the recipe.  This means that a recipe that has been scaled down from 4 servings to 1 will burn 4X faster than the original 

Edited to add that my error did not ruin my breakfast and I enjoyed  a mug of coffee along with it but I was already quite alert by that time!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Ja that is when having a full size sliding glass door in kitchen is a bonus ;)

I have a floor to ceiling louvered glass window near the stove so I opened that, then opened the slider in family room that's only a few feet away, then headed out to the garage for the ladder.  By the time I picked up the ladder,  the alarm shut off!  

My neighbors know I live alone.  I'm very wary of drawing a crowd over here while I'm still padding around in my PJs 🙃

• Haha 9

• 2 weeks later...

I shall never again trust amazon nor wikipedia.  This issue involves Anaheim green organic peppers.  To the best of my knowledge Anaheim peppers are not supposed to be hot.  I prepared tonight's Anaheim peppers without gloves.  The peppers were delicious but my hand will never be the same.  And then after dinner I inadvertently rubbed my nose.  Just gently.  Sorry if that is too much information.

Cleaning up I grabbed the Darto pan.  Not sure if I burned my hand because the pan was hot or if the paella was hot.  In any event I need a mucus membrane transplant.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

I have been the queen of burns during my baking spree. Due to messed up oven mitts and my physical inabiity to feel until "oh no!!!" - I look like a mess.  So a few $ invested in gloves might be a plan. I have small hands so finding a fit that gives me control (I am all about control) can be a challenge ;)

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, heidih said:

I have been the queen of burns during my baking spree. Due to messed up oven mitts and my physical inabiity to feel until "oh no!!!" - I look like a mess.  So a few $ invested in gloves might be a plan. I have small hands so finding a fit that gives me control (I am all about control) can be a challenge ;)

I ordered these "small" sized grill gloves a couple of years ago. I wouldn't say they offer the best in manual dexterity but at least I don't have multiple inches of empty glove at the end of each finger. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 4:25 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again trust amazon nor wikipedia.  This issue involves Anaheim green organic peppers.  To the best of my knowledge Anaheim peppers are not supposed to be hot.  I prepared tonight's Anaheim peppers without gloves.  The peppers were delicious but my hand will never be the same.  And then after dinner I inadvertently rubbed my nose.  Just gently.  Sorry if that is too much information.

Cleaning up I grabbed the Darto pan.  Not sure if I burned my hand because the pan was hot or if the paella was hot.  In any event I need a mucus membrane transplant.

Strange...now in Ontario Canada apparently Poblanos are sold as 'hot' peppers.  I argued with the store manager (they are sold in my nearby city by exactly one store) that they are not hot peppers.  He said...that's how they are called by the distributor.

Needless to say, I never wear gloves working with them.  Oh, except for the one time when I paid one excruciating price for not wearing gloves which lasted about 24 hours.  And nothing helped.  I was stunned...and miserable.  At least I didn't touch my nose.  And no, I don't wear gloves even now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Microwave Toffee does not need 8 minutes high on my micro as recipe states, Microwave Carbon apparently does.

It's always useful to know exactly how to make Microwave Carbon...you can never tell when it will be called for....

• Haha 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Pick up my water mug and take a few swigs without looking first. It is 55 degrees in here (warmer outside) and I still have ants on anything wet - eewww- I spat it out but...

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 7

IWNA try to seal Navy Bean and Ham soup that is not completely chilled in the VP215 .   If the liquids to be sealed are even room temp, it boils furiously in the bag and creates a poor seal and a mess in the chamber.   Paper towels are my friend today.  And refrigeration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I will never again forget my lunchbox and leave it (and its remaining cauliflower rice) in my car for 24 hours when the outside temp is 38 degrees. 

Pee-Yew! 🤢

Since we tend to be F v C centric - that is just over 100F! Oh those cabbage family veggies....

• Thanks 1

I shall never again prevent the entire library staff from leaving the building at closing time when I have forgotten my limes and daikon radish in the refrigerator upstairs.

• Haha 3