• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

39 minutes ago, lindag said:

I will never again empty my cocktail glass into the kitchen drain without taking out the metal cocktail pick.

i have now seriously jammed my disposer and will have to call the plumber.  I can’t unjam with the torque wrench.

😒

Could have been worse.  Might still have had some drink left in it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I will never again leave things in the zip-top bags in which they come from the bulk store. You have no idea how big a mess tapioca starch will make when the bag isn't closed....

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 hours ago, kayb said:

I will never again leave things in the zip-top bags in which they come from the bulk store. You have no idea how big a mess tapioca starch will make when the bag isn't closed....

As a matter of fact, I do. :P

It's not quite as bad as copier/laser printer toner. That stuff diffuses everywhere in exactly the same way, but it's black and adheres stubbornly to everything.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 11/2/2019 at 4:57 PM, lindag said:

I will never again empty my cocktail glass into the kitchen drain without taking out the metal cocktail pick.

i have now seriously jammed my disposer and will have to call the plumber.  I can’t unjam with the torque wrench.

😒

Fortunately my friendly plumber was able to get here this afternoon and, after much struggling, was able to pull out the metal pick.  Whew. 

When will I learn?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, lindag said:

Fortunately my friendly plumber was able to get here this afternoon and, after much struggling, was able to pull out the metal pick.  Whew. 

When will I learn?

About as soon as the rest of us do and then you won't appear on this topic again.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I will never again put off all those little household chores that are easily done in small increments.

I have been procrastinating for months.  My car was 159 days overdue for its oil change when I finally took it in for service last week.

Sunday I did laundry that overflowed the hamper until I started running out of clothes.

I mopped the kitchen floor yesterday only because the plumber was coming and I was embarrassed.

I vacuumed and dusted my bedroom on Saturday....oh it was needed so badly.

I always seem to be able to put off these things until they are overwhelming.

Never again.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, lindag said:

I will never again put off all those little household chores that are easily done in small increments.

I have been procrastinating for months.  My car was 159 days overdue for its oil change when I finally took it in for service last week.

Sunday I did laundry that overflowed the hamper until I started running out of clothes.

I mopped the kitchen floor yesterday only because the plumber was coming and I was embarrassed.

Never again.....

All best, lindag

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

22 minutes ago, lindag said:

Never again.....

To all of the above, I say...cut yourself some slack, hon. You've been going through a lot, lately. Do what you can, when you can, and don't sweat what you "should."

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

To all of the above, I say...cut yourself some slack, hon. You've been going through a lot, lately. Do what you can, when you can, and don't sweat what you "should."

Thanks.

i think part of this is that I’m beginning to get some of my energy back and doing some catch up.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My sincere apologies for the unthinking response I made.  I had completely forgotten about your current state. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

The problem is that dust comes back SO FAST!     One more day won't make much of a difference.....

True that.

I kept my eye on the local classifieds and picked up a couple of air purifiers on the cheap, one larger and one smaller. They make a big difference to my GF's allergies, taking dust and fur out of the air. Both are the kind with permanent filters, thankfully, or replacement filers would have me in the poorhouse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, lindag said:

Never again.....

If it makes you feel better, I vacuum the house approximately quarterly (when my mom visits), routinely leave dishes in the sink until they're slimy, finally took my car in to fix the oil leaks they found a year ago, and haven't backed up my laptop in 600+ days. 

It is satisfying to have my chores done, but does it really matter if the hamper is full or there are dust bunnies under the bookcase?  As long as you're otherwise functioning and not turning reclusive hoarder.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am always a danger to myself.

Rather a recurrent theme in this thread from its inception, in fact. :P

Edited to clarify: For all of us, not Jo specifically.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

I shall never again burn my wrist, causing my stir fry to grace the kitchen floor.  Thankfully there is rice.  I just wish there was more of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 6

22 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again walk two and a half miles for mushrooms, and come home without the mushrooms.

Jo,  do I need to come down there and be your minder?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

36 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

But I need to know what you did come home with instead of mushrooms!

Lemons

Lettuce

Bacon

Butter

Peanuts

Plastic Bags

Cranberry Sauce

Green Beans

Brussels Sprouts

Sauvignon Blanc

Heavy Cream

Now ask what I just ordered from amazon besides the mushrooms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1