• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again add dirty dinner dishes to the freshly run clean dishwasher.  Had a friend whose 107 year old mother would do this.  Drover her crazy.

Yes you will. We all do.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again add dirty dinner dishes to the freshly run clean dishwasher.

I will never again open eGullet after watching a Twilight Zone episode.

Teo

• Haha 2

Teo

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again add dirty dinner dishes to the freshly run clean dishwasher.  Had a friend whose 107 year old mother would do this.  Drover her crazy.

I have fallen into a habit. I run the dishwasher just before I go to bed at night. In the morning, I empty it while the coffee is brewing. Thus, I have a routine of when dishes are clean or not.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

41 minutes ago, kayb said:

I have fallen into a habit. I run the dishwasher just before I go to bed at night. In the morning, I empty it while the coffee is brewing. Thus, I have a routine of when dishes are clean or not.

That's pretty much our routine.  Ed loads it at night and runs it (after 7 pm when the rates drop a lot) and then I empty it the next day.   I don't think we've ever put dirty dishes into a clean load.  (But boy have we done other senseless things!)

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've started to unload the d/w only to discover that I forgot to run it or didn't push the start button.

Oops, dishes still dirty.  I can't always tell right away because I rinse pretty thoroughly before loading.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Yep that’s the one I aspire to. So far it’s out of my reach. 

• Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again...

Yeast10262019.png

Thankfully a little birdie told me I should place a pan under the bowl before it was too late.

In my case, that little birdie is always giving me "The Look" and saying pointedly "Remember what happened last time?...

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again...

Yeast10262019.png

Thankfully a little birdie told me I should place a pan under the bowl before it was too late.

What on earth were you making?  Oh, I mean besides a monumental mess...:raz:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I can't answer for Jo, but in my case it was yeast batter for Belgian waffles (very similar appearance).

...except without the pan underneath.

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, Darienne said:

What on earth were you making?  Oh, I mean besides a monumental mess...:raz:

Aebleskiver?

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

And Anna has the answer!

Do I win one of those? They look so good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again...

Yeast10262019.png

Wow!  I needed to use a sad emoji for the overflow and then a happy one when I saw that it was contained by the pan!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Wow!  I needed to use a sad emoji for the overflow and then a happy one when I saw that it was contained by the pan!  

I only put the pan under the bowl at the very last moment.  Can't complain about the CSO proofing function.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 10/15/2019 at 4:23 AM, Anna N said:

Yes you will. We all do.

Uh, not me.

Don't own a dishwasher … unless you count my hands.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

Uh, not me.

Don't own a dishwasher … unless you count my hands.

As someone i admired greatly would have retorted, “So, are you bragging or complaining?”😂

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

And Anna has the answer!

Aebleskiver10262019.png

Are you saying that your oven volcano was in some way part of your aebelskiver procdess?   Could you please enlighten us how?      I've made them quite a few times and they were never more complicated than waffles.    

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:10 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again add dirty dinner dishes to the freshly run clean dishwasher.  Had a friend whose 107 year old mother would do this.  Drove her crazy.

Nor I.    My mother, who seldom let me do the dishes, had an iron clad rule about scrape and wipe.   Her anathema was what she described as floating debris in the dishwater.   

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Are you saying that your oven volcano was in some way part of your aebelskiver procdess?   Could you please enlighten us how?      I've made them quite a few times and they were never more complicated than waffles.    

Nilsson's recipe said to let rise 25 minutes.  I was sure 25 minutes was not long enough.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I will never again empty my cocktail glass into the kitchen drain without taking out the metal cocktail pick.

i have now seriously jammed my disposer and will have to call the plumber.  I can’t unjam with the torque wrench.

😒

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

On 10/26/2019 at 7:59 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Nor I.    My mother, who seldom let me do the dishes, had an iron clad rule about scrape and wipe.   Her anathema was what she described as floating debris in the dishwater.   

I should have been so lucky. When we had meals with my mother, my DW and/or I would go through the plates and silverware for things that actually got clean. We would re-wash the still-dirty items.

• Sad 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;