• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

I will never again...oh yes I will...hold several bunches of wild grapes in my left hand while cutting just one more with scissors in my right hand...and...cut right into the index finger of my left hand with said scissors.  I believe I mentioned proprioception already in another post this morning.   So now I have a right hand recovering from surgery (and not as well as I would like for sure) and a finger in my left hand hurting because I tried to cut into it.  Oh well, the blood is the same color as the grape juice pretty well.

Just kidding...there's no blood in the grape jelly.

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I will never again buy "lite" cheese. It was accidental but still. I was making a toasty and watching the cheese melt but it looked weird so I ran a knife through it and it was like a paste. It eventually melted but what a waste. It was so dry and flavourless. Lesson to me..read the packaging better.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

On 9/7/2019 at 5:01 PM, Kim Shook said:

@ElsieD - at least he's fast.  I can shuck 5 in the time it takes Mr. Kim to shuck 2 and he still gets it everywhere!

For me, speed isn't the goal. The goal is to not have to do it myself. I don't care how long it takes my husband to shuck corn. I just go do something else somewhere else and return when it's done, grateful. There are some kitchen chores I just can't stand, and that's one of them. However, if I found a tangle of cornsilk in bed I might think twice. I'll stop now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I'm lucky, my husband shucks it out in the garage.  Never have to deal with anything but naked ears.  And heck Shelby, you can honestly claim to own silk sheets.  Last year we found some prongs that can be inserted before you boil the ears.  What a finger saver they turned out to be

• Haha 2

On 9/12/2019 at 11:11 AM, Darienne said:

I will never again...oh yes I will...hold several bunches of wild grapes in my left hand while cutting just one more with scissors in my right hand...and...cut right into the index finger of my left hand with said scissors.  I believe I mentioned proprioception already in another post this morning.   So now I have a right hand recovering from surgery (and not as well as I would like for sure) and a finger in my left hand hurting because I tried to cut into it.  Oh well, the blood is the same color as the grape juice pretty well.

Just kidding...there's no blood in the grape jelly.

Told you so.  And yes I did.  But not nearly as badly this time.  Will I never learn?  Probably not.:P

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This is not  a IWNA but I feel for your pain in your hands. 

Since I had chemotherapy my fingertips and feet have neuropathy, (numbness, in my case).

Makes it hard to use my fingers for small tasks, buttons are a prime example.  The numbness in my feet makes me a little unsteady walking.  The doctors say it often goes away but sometimes it does not.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

On 9/4/2019 at 1:23 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again stab myself in the cheek* with corn prongs.  It hurts.  Thankfully I missed my eye.

*twice

Brings the movie “dirty rotten scoundrels” to mind 

• Like 3

On 9/7/2019 at 6:51 PM, ElsieD said:

Earlier this week John went to the grocery store to pick up corn which was an advertised special, 10 for $1.59. Alas they had none so he got a rain check for 20 cobs which we picked up yesterday.   While picking out 20 cobs, he sprightly said " I'll help you husk". Me, suppressing the dread in my voice, "what a great idea! We'll do it on the balcony so as not to mess up the kitchen".  I should explain that he has one speed - fast.  Which means corn gets husked quickly, and the silk and husk goes hither and yon.  Hence the balcony.  I put a garbage bag inside another bag, got a roasting pan to put the shucked corn in and we went to work.  The first cob he shucked, the silk landed on the balcony.  I picked it up and because I am a woman, felt the need to comment.  Not a wise idea.  He did about 2 cobs to my one.  I picked up a lot if husk and silk from the balcony floor..  When finished, he carted the roasting pan into the apt. and tracked a bunch of the silk threads in with him.  We just had the place cleaned. yesterday.  I spent 20 minutes pulling the last of the silk from the husked corn. I love him dearly but I doubt we will be husking corn together any time soon, anywhere.

What’s your point?😀

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 11:54 AM, Darienne said:

I could say the same about Poblanos, except that I've continued to prep them bare-hands.  One session with them I was in agony for hours and nothing was relieving it.  I swore...never again...but then went right back to it.  Pain from Poblanos????  Ridiculous! :P

And I did continue to prepare them bare-hands.  Then a couple of months ago, Ed prepared a bunch for me bare-hands and paid a terrible price for it.

And because this topic is all about the dreadful, stupid, careless, etc things we do, I thought I'd take advantage of it just once to say I just prepared a huge batch of Poblanos and Jalapenos and I wore gloves to do it.  You see, I can learn. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I wouldn't be surprised if I've mentioned dishwashers in this thread before.

Had mine half unloaded the other day - was cursing hubby for adding dirty dishes to the clean dishwasher - wasn't clean. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I bet I will!

Me too. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That's one advantage of my portable, I suppose. If it isn't sitting in front of my sink, blocking half the kitchen, then they're dirty. :P

• Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again shake my mai tai Mississippi punch without putting on the top.

That's what happens when you shake Mississippi punch after a Mai Tai (or two). 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That's what happens when you shake Mississippi punch after a Mai Tai (or two). 😀

Tired but cold sober.  Now remedied.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I shall never again add dirty dinner dishes to the freshly run clean dishwasher.  Had a friend whose 107 year old mother would do this.  Drove her crazy.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
Spelling (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou