• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

On 6/14/2019 at 6:20 PM, chromedome said:

Not that there's really any way to salvage a blenderized silicone spatula, mind you. :P

You can try to sell it as a piece (or multiple pieces) of modern art.

Teo

• Haha 2

Teo

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I will never again -- unless in pain, drunk, or on pills -- drain a stockpot of pasta into my pan of pasta sauce rather than the sink.  I have cleaned up the stove.

The question then is:  were you in pain, drunk or on pills?  :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Despite the Veronese green glow, I shall never again refill my Soave glass* with extra virgin olive oil.

*who are we kidding, Soave goblet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Despite the Veronese green glow, I shall never again refill my Soave glass* with extra virgin olive oil.

*who are we kidding, Soave goblet.

And so we ask the same questions as were asked last time: were you in pain, drunk or on pills?  :wacko:  (but said in affection....) :wub:  And I expect the same answer...

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

And so we ask the same questions as were asked last time: were you in pain, drunk or on pills?  :wacko:  (but said in affection....) :wub:  And I expect the same answer...

No pain, thank you for asking.  Antibiotics and one mai tai.  Make of the mai tai what you will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My contribution to this thread shall be that from now on I will DEFINITELY check to see if my chicken has a bag of giblets in it before roasting...

luckily this bag was paper rather than plastic so didn't melt into the poor bird.  I was wondering why it was taking so damn long to come up to temp 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

I.W.N.A. fail to notice the can of cheap Roland anchovies I am opening is swelled and explodes rank anchovy oil down the front of my shirt.  Only a seal would be happy with that stink.  Thank goodness for pre-soak cycles.

Edited by lemniscate
badaboom (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Was good silver also jettisoned?

I gave away my good silver decades ago.

• Like 1

I will never again wander off for an hours' leisurely browse through Ars Technica immediately after putting mozza sticks in the oven for 15 minutes (my new oven has no timer so I went to my desk to get the phone, saw a new email in my inbox, got distracted....).

On the upside, I can tell you that mozza sticks baked until hard and crunchy throughout and then dipped in marinara sauce taste surprisingly like the crunchy edges of the lasagna, though not enough so to merit repeating the experiment (they'd have been better if *only* cooked twice as long as necessary). Wasn't quite what my sweetie had been jonesing for, alas.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again stab myself in the cheek* with corn prongs.  It hurts.  Thankfully I missed my eye.

*twice

But apparently you missed the corn as well. Glad to hear you're okay. If only you could get eG to pay you to keep this thread alive. Oh wait, that would be a really bad idea.

• Haha 8

Earlier this week John went to the grocery store to pick up corn which was an advertised special, 10 for $1.59. Alas they had none so he got a rain check for 20 cobs which we picked up yesterday.   While picking out 20 cobs, he sprightly said " I'll help you husk". Me, suppressing the dread in my voice, "what a great idea! We'll do it on the balcony so as not to mess up the kitchen".  I should explain that he has one speed - fast.  Which means corn gets husked quickly, and the silk and husk goes hither and yon.  Hence the balcony.  I put a garbage bag inside another bag, got a roasting pan to put the shucked corn in and we went to work.  The first cob he shucked, the silk landed on the balcony.  I picked it up and because I am a woman, felt the need to comment.  Not a wise idea.  He did about 2 cobs to my one.  I picked up a lot if husk and silk from the balcony floor..  When finished, he carted the roasting pan into the apt. and tracked a bunch of the silk threads in with him.  We just had the place cleaned. yesterday.  I spent 20 minutes pulling the last of the silk from the husked corn. I love him dearly but I doubt we will be husking corn together any time soon, anywhere.

• Haha 12