• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

Just now, liuzhou said:

But not desirability, I hope!

That, too. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

That, too. 

Well, I won't mourn just yet for shattering your dreams. When you find my tear drop plates or bowl are in every local trashy, factory  clearance store or yard sale, then I'll apologise. maybe. Possibly not. {insert appropriate emoji}.

• Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Well, I won't mourn just yet for shattering your dreams. When you find my tear drop plates or bowl are in every local trashy, factory  clearance store or yard sale, then I'll apologise. maybe. Possibly not. {insert appropriate emoji}.

You are not to blame. It wasn’t you who provided the link to Amazon!   Nor is it you who has this strange character trait. There are some things that attract me only so long as I cannot have them.:o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I had no idea what Tillandsia was but came up with the logical explanation that it must be Canadian for "tea strainer". Google disillusioned me. I hate Google!

I've never come across bergamot here either.

Perhaps you were being sarcastic. It is an epiphytic plant from southern western hemisphere climates in the bromeliad family.  Common name = "air plant". Think the Spanish Moss hanging from oaks in the southern US.

Tillandsia can be quite small and used in all kinds of extremely silly decorative ways. Someone gave my MIL one that was perched on a ceramic head to look like hair. She had no idea it was supposed to be watered  or that it was even alive. Not that I blame her. She's 93. Even I didn't know what it was until I saw instructions underneath. Not a very good gift. Who wants to be responsible for keeping something else alive when you are 93?

@liuzhou as you no doubt know, bergamot citrus fruit flavors Earl Grey tea. I don't know where it is grown, but it has a very short season here in CA. That season is congruent (shorter, though) with Seville orange season here. That season is now, which is why we are making marmalade in March for the rest of the year. When available, we juice and zest a few bergamots along with the bitter oranges and it adds a very exotic taste. A little goes a long way, so I can't imagine wanting a marmalade that was primarily bergamot. Plus it would cost an arm and a leg....or a HAND. Frankly that copy about a "bergamot holder" in the Amazon listing must have been translated by someone from Jupiter. Bergamot is  dear, but it ain't THAT special that you would want display just one.

And I don't see wanting what you can't have as a strange character trait. I thought that was the point! Was I mistaken? Besides, if I had to name a strange character trait of yours it would be your corn phobia! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, I lied.  But next time I will never again steam bake my chicken thigh an hour at 300F, but with the CSO actually set at 450F.  Probably.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...

Yesterday morning, as I blearily started a pot of steel-cut oats, I reached into my cupboard for the cinnamon (I like a whiff of cinnamon in my oatmeal). What I actually came out with, and sprinkled into the pot, was seasoned salt.

Fortunately I recognized what I'd done and immediately dumped the pot and rinsed the oats, so there was no harm done. This did, however, illustrate why I normally cook my oats ahead of time. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

49 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Yesterday morning, as I blearily started a pot of steel-cut oats, I reached into my cupboard for the cinnamon (I like a whiff of cinnamon in my oatmeal). What I actually came out with, and sprinkled into the pot, was seasoned salt.

Fortunately I recognized what I'd done and immediately dumped the pot and rinsed the oats, so there was no harm done. This did, however, illustrate why I normally cook my oats ahead of time. :P

I have been known to employ cinnamon when I intend paprika or cayenne.

• Haha 1

Equally disruptive, I'm sure.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

I shall never again pick up a half inch baking steel.  Heat capacity.  I went to an ivy league school for this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I will never again use basmati instead of arborio for risotto, ending up with congee porridge....

I didn't go to the fourth oldest university in the english speaking world for this level of idiocy; that came free. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again plop myself down on the toilet just as the bread timer is going off.

And just what do you suggest as an alternative????   :P

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On 3/13/2019 at 3:12 PM, Katie Meadow said:

A little goes a long way, so I can't imagine wanting a marmalade that was primarily bergamot. Plus it would cost an arm and a leg....or a HAND.

Bergamot grows in Ecuador; there are large plantations of it near the tea fields for reasons that ought to be obvious.

I've made bergamot marmalade, and it is *divine* and every bit worth the tiny shreds of my fingertips that seem to get into it regardless of the fact that I use a proper marmalade cutter. I will l never again add grapefruit to it, though. That was a disaster.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

1 hour ago, Panaderia Canadiense said:

This is why we have family members.

Well, some do and some don't.  Glad you do.

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

9 hours ago, Panaderia Canadiense said:

Bergamot grows in Ecuador; there are large plantations of it near the tea fields for reasons that ought to be obvious.

I've made bergamot marmalade, and it is *divine* and every bit worth the tiny shreds of my fingertips that seem to get into it regardless of the fact that I use a proper marmalade cutter. I will l never again add grapefruit to it, though. That was a disaster.

Tell us about your proper marmalade cutter?

11 hours ago, Darienne said:

And just what do you suggest as an alternative????   :P

Check the timer first... and try to hold it for a couple minutes.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Tell us about your proper marmalade cutter?

It's a tool facilitated by the lovely @Kouign Aman several years back, an antique crank model.  This thread has details and pictures.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

On 6/8/2019 at 10:00 AM, Panaderia Canadiense said:

Oddly, bergamot - at least the concentrated oil - is one of only about two foods I can recall having an adverse reaction to. It brings my tongue up in blisters, every time, which is why I don't drink Earl Grey.

Good Earl Grey uses real bergamot and hurts my tongue, and bad Earl Grey is....well, it's bad Earl Grey and why would anyone drink that?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I will never again...

Forget to remove the spatula from inside the Vitamix, before dumping in soapy water and turning it to High for cleaning purposes.

At a cooking class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I will never again...

Forget to remove the spatula from inside the Vitamix, before dumping in soapy water and turning it to High for cleaning purposes.

At a cooking class.

Would I be incredibly rude and nasty to laugh as my first response?

It was a very quiet and short-lived laugh.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I can assure you, all of my regulars at the cooking class had a long and hearty laugh. As did I.

As I've told my classes regularly in varying ways, "The only place chefs never make mistakes is on TV shows. In real life we make *more* mistakes than regular cooks, because we just plain cook more. The more times you do something, the more chances you get to screw it up. The difference is that professionals get to screw things up enough times over the years to learn some really good ways of recovering from just about any blunder."

Not that there's really any way to salvage a blenderized silicone spatula, mind you. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I will never again -- unless in pain, drunk, or on pills -- drain a stockpot of pasta into my pan of pasta sauce rather than the sink.  I have cleaned up the stove.

• Sad 5