• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

... drop 10 quail eggs into a pan of boiling water for a 2 minute boil, then set the timer for the number of eggs rather than number of minutes. Duh!

I did notice before the ten minutes was up, but the intended soft boiled eggs were decidedly bullet textured.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

... drop 10 quail eggs into a pan of boiling water for a 2 minute boil, then set the timer for the number of eggs rather than number of minutes. Duh!

I had to laugh because it is exactly the sort of thing I would do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I will never again steam bake my chicken thigh an hour at 300F, but with the CSO actually set at 450F.  Sometimes it pays to trust your nose rather than the clock.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

I will never again allow so many leftovers (four large Tupperware-type bowls) to accumulate in the fridge so that when the dispose switch stuck it rendered said disposer inoperable.

Bowls were full of the wet  gooshy stuff that is impossible to pack up for the garbage can.

Had to wait several days for the plumber.

In the past I've bagged stuff like this up and frozen it til garbage day but these days there's no freezer room.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I bring dreadful news. Brace yourselves. Sit down. Have a reviving brandy and smelling salts to hand. Viewer discretion is advised.

I will never again grace the pages of this illustrious forum and the Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner topics with my poor attempts at the kitchen skills, supported (literally) by favourite plate - the 10¾ inch beautiful plain white darling and love of my life.

This morning, some idiot* trying to do two things at the same time let her slip through his pathetic fingers and she was seriously injured - chipped and flawed beauty. She is now in semi-retirement supporting my basil plant pot on the balcony in a lonely, sad reminder of her culinary past.

I would be disgracefully unemotional, but plain white plates are hard to come by round here (plates are hard to come by) and the place I found her is no more. Well, the place is still there but it is now a hand bag shop. I have no need of such accoutrements.

RIP.

plate.thumb.jpg.744790a21c8b0220eaff14be06846695.jpg

* My lips are sealed

• Like 3
  • Sad 12

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I would be disgracefully unemotional, but plain white plates are hard to come by round here (plates are hard to come by) and the place I found her is no more. 

So now you are going to force me to confess my venial sins with respect to your tableware.  Your plain white dinner plate was quite attractive. I will admit that.   But not to rub salt into your wound, well perhaps a little, plain white dinner plates are a dime a dozen here.   I own both cheap Corelle and expensive Wedgewood white dinner plates.   But what I don’t own and cannot find despite years of searching of the following:

Your gorgeous teardrop white plate:

2F0D8090-5F5B-4053-BAEC-14E08804A702.thumb.jpeg.9d713e328278a5bf7ac7de0bbe08b15a.jpeg

This striking bowl

2D633DE6-92A5-4D65-889F-F98BFCCA0117.thumb.jpeg.eb8dac5ba5fd007e4327c9d988e58c59.jpeg

And the thing I am most envious of (could not find a photograph), the white porcelain “fingers”. 

PLEASE BE CAREFUL. 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks @@Anna N

I am particularly fond of my teardrop plate. I have a couple of them. The bowl, as I think I've said before, is a plastic thing from the equivalent of a "dollar store".  I can't remember what I paid for it; certainly less than I paid for its contents.

Here just for you are my fingers. They are ten a penny round here, although the particular store I bought them from closed last weekend. I have dropped them before, but always managed to replace them. I know a few places which have them.

20190311_222507.thumb.jpg.99e3b5059f2d8775567fc2f1f5c8f6e9.jpg

20190311_222519.thumb.jpg.eb1981db5511d13f16255a7b5a4b023a.jpg

White plates are not popular here. In fact, people don't eat from plates and most serving dishes are oval and usually hideous. Plain white was  all I would entertain when I lived in Europe.

I did manage to find a slightly smaller replacement today, but it's not perfect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Pardon my ignorance but what are those fingers used for?

They are sold in tea shops and are intended to be used as rests for tea strainer. I'll post a picture of the intended use tomorrow. I'm in bed now. Gone midnight here. 

I mainly use them as eggcups, which is how @Anna N saw them, I believe.

• Like 3

Like @liuzhou I dropped a favorite item on a marble floor while it contained a hot liquid.  A mug from my sis and the handle fractured right off. As your mind races with "do over please please". I have the original box that has the mug artwork on it but not sure if that makes me feel better or worse. Ggrrrr

• Sad 4

I feel the pain! I broke my favorite bowl several years ago. My husband tried to put it back together for me, but it wasn’t the same. I even contacted the artist that had made it, but she had moved on and did not have a similar bowl available. I still miss it!

DF9E77D4-E865-40E3-9AF9-A93FEDDAF290.thumb.jpeg.1417c55371cd3a651c1c41e2042db12a.jpeg

• Sad 5

I will never again use my Microwave's 'Keep Warm" feature......It burnt my beautiful green beans and bacon dish that was intended for dinner (the bowl WAS full to the brim but incinerated beans take up way less space)....The machine is outside in the snow and the whole house still smells like burn food.  Funny thing was we didn't smell the beans until I opened the microwave door and a cloud of smoke came pouring out.

I had noticed the microwave heating too much on the 'defrost' cycle so that was a sign that there was something a miss.  

No longer under warranty.

Maybe it's time for a second CSO and no microwave.  We'll try without it to see how we get on.

DSC02943.thumb.jpg.37abe3bf8370bbce816534cc4d5c1216.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

15 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I threw the dish and the little plastic lid into a zip lock bag and tossed it in the garbage.  I don't think that smell will come out.

Oh ja - tried to clean the pot but binned it. The mess I walk way out on the property. Not sure even the racoons eat it!

• Haha 2

On 3/12/2019 at 5:29 AM, DesertTinker said:

WARNING! ENABLER ALERT!!  @Anna N  The above referenced hands seem to be available on Amazon.ca 

I used “Buddha Hand” for the search. There are, in addition to the one in the link, some sold with the tea strainer.

For those of us “south of the border” they’re also on amazon.com

Wow! I just noticed this post. I pay $0.2 CAD for these. That price is 35 times higher! Someone is having a laugh. I'm in the wrong business.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

THE HAND! So I had to see what the Amazon listing was like. They're going begging, not a single review. Hilarious that it is marketed as a Tillandsia holder, but then in the small print tells you it's really a rest for your bergamot. My bergamots don't need much rest, they usually just sit around and do nothing. Besides, I usually have more than one at a time. But the funniest thing is the suggested list of "typical" questions (just in case you can't think of any), one being "Is it easy to use?"

Well, that all depends.... 

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Hilarious that it is marketed as a Tillandsia holder, but then in the small print tells you it's really a rest for your bergamot.

I had no idea what Tillandsia was but came up with the logical explanation that it must be Canadian for "tea strainer". Google disillusioned me. I hate Google!

I've never come across bergamot here either.

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Wow! I just noticed this post. I pay $0.2 CAD for these. That price is 35 times higher! Someone is having a laugh. I'm in the wrong business.

Strangely, its easy availability has somehow destroyed its mystique. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog