• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

11 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I've had similar things happen, and the main requirement is patience. It's basically just sugar, and therefore water soluble. Clear the surrounding area as best you can, and damp it down liberally with a sponge or cloth. Let it sit for 8 or 10 hours, then give it a good wipe with the cloth to get up anything loose/dissolved, and re-wet it again. The second time, you'll be able to get more of it off. The third time or fourth time, it should be moistened right down to the cupboard's surface. At that stage you can take a scraper or spatula to get up most of it, then get the rest with a wet cloth and a green scrubbie.

Thanks so much...I'll get started.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lindag said:

I will never again leave a can of Mandarin orange segments in my kitchen cabinet for so long I can't remember when I put them there.

Went to said cabinet to get a box of macaroni noodles and the box was stuck fast to the shelf.  It seems the can had leaked  (it was completely empty) all over and every package nearby was also stuck.  

How the hell I'm going to scrape up that hardened goo is a mystery.

In my case the can was cream of coconut.  And it didn't leak, it exploded, blowing the cabinet door open.  Cream of coconut from floor to ceiling.  Not something to soon forget.

• Sad 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'll preface this with some background on the situation. I do craft shows, and have for some time, in an effort to boost sales.  This weekend was the first time I'd done a pop-up store in a mall. 

Most venues supply tables and chairs- sometimes free, sometimes at a charge.   The mall provided tables for me at no extra charge, which was fabulous. I assumed ( my bad) that there would be some seating available- like a folding chair.  THERE WERE NONE.  (There was a music concert going on in the mall - and apparently, all the seating had been used up for the 400+ guests.)

And, I didn't bring any  seating with me.   The car was packed to the gills with product, displays and packaging...but if I'd thought for a second that I'd not be able to scavenge a seat, I would've crammed one in. 

End result is, I sold a ton of chocolate, but my feet are so sore I don't want to climb out of the recliner!!!   

• Like 4
  • Sad 7

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

32 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

I'll preface this with some background on the situation. I do craft shows, and have for some time, in an effort to boost sales.  This weekend was the first time I'd done a pop-up store in a mall. 

Most venues supply tables and chairs- sometimes free, sometimes at a charge.   The mall provided tables for me at no extra charge, which was fabulous. I assumed ( my bad) that there would be some seating available- like a folding chair.  THERE WERE NONE.  (There was a music concert going on in the mall - and apparently, all the seating had been used up for the 400+ guests.)

And, I didn't bring any  seating with me.   The car was packed to the gills with product, displays and packaging...but if I'd thought for a second that I'd not be able to scavenge a seat, I would've crammed one in. 

End result is, I sold a ton of chocolate, but my feet are so sore I don't want to climb out of the recliner!!!   

I feel your pain. Everytime I rent chairs at a venue I don't seem to have time to sit in them - and when I don't have one I have all the time in the world! 

• Like 5

I was at a trade show over an Easter weekend once.  The first day, no chairs were allowed.  Near the end of that day, I saw someone selling fold up little chairs.  I bought one for the second day.  The first day damn near killed me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ed and I used to do craft shows with our decorated gourds.  The chair situation was never a problem as I recall...my problem was by the third day I was..."Buy something...don't buy something...just don't talk to me".

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

I will never again set the snack filled air fryer basket on the counter without looking....turned around....CRASH.  Yup.  Of course landed upside down dumping the snacks all over the kitchen floor. 🤕☹️

Fortunatley the plastic basket survived with only a chip missing.

• Sad 8

On 12/14/2018 at 12:58 PM, lindag said:

I will never again leave a can of Mandarin orange segments in my kitchen cabinet for so long I can't remember when I put them there.

Went to said cabinet to get a box of macaroni noodles and the box was stuck fast to the shelf.  It seems the can had leaked  (it was completely empty) all over and every package nearby was also stuck.  

How the hell I'm going to scrape up that hardened goo is a mystery.

I've had some minor problems with leaking jars and I use the hand-held clothing steamer that I used to use to take wrinkles out of my clothing while traveling.  

There are steamers made specifically for cleaning in the kitchen and they aren't very expensive.  I have used mine many times for loosening and wiping up sticky spots on my butcher block counters and also on the granite one - on which it is impossible to actually SEE sticky spots, you have to feel for them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Don't know how to phrase this.  Last night I searched for a small brush that I intended to use for scrubbing a few clams.  This is not a brush I use often.  I searched through the kitchen drawers and cabinets, the bedroom and then the living room.  And then I searched again.  Then again is less likely locations.

Tonight I found it!   Sitting out in plain sight on the Boos kitchen cart.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Wow...even by the standards of my own family, that demonstrates a remarkable degree of talent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 12/13/2018 at 8:37 PM, heidih said:

Oh good grief the smell is horrifying. I ran the pot outside. Started simmering some shrimp stock with vegetables and coconut milk. BUT was tired and thought i'd take a 1 minute nap. Smoke alarm woke me and it was far from stove!  I liked the saucepan but I think, well I know. it is trash bound and "hello TJ Max for a new one... The last one was me being overly chatty and walking far away while green beans simmering. Do we ever learn? I don't even know if I can sleep in this end of house it is so unpleasant.

Ruh roh. Sorry for for mishap, but I would be lying like an orange man if I claimed I had not had my own disastrous screw ups. The most recent was to leave a small pot of lima beans on high on a 1970's electric stove which delivers some pretty serious heat. I got distracted online, even though I was sitting maybe 14 feet away from them in my 20-foot kitchen. Well, by the time I smelled what was going on, the bottom beans were burned. There were maybe a third or half pound of them so I tried to salvage what I could from my inattention. I started picking out the hot, partially cooked limas with a fork, and then as they cooled with my hands. I have a cute little 1 quart saucepan by Revere Ware pot with a stainless cover. The pot itself is stainless with a thin copper bottom and these used to be all the rage before everyone figured out that triple-ply stainless clad was the way to go. I love my big triple plies, but they take up more space in the dishwasher.

I boiled over a single serving of grits in the little Revere Ware just today. When will I learn? 

I still like my teeny pot, though. It works fine for single servings of veggies like frozen corn, spinach, or lima beans as long as you do not zone out while you are supposed to be cooking something to eat. 🙂

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

@Thanks for the Crepes, I am no fan of lima beans can only hope burning those nasty little legumes improved their flavor. :hmmm: xD

• Haha 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

I shall never again employ a pinch grip with a slicing knife...

My project was to prepare chorizo for tonight's paella.  last time I sliced chorizo I used a chef's knife for this purpose but the resulting slices were not as fine as I would have hoped.  The chorizo is quite hard and after addressing my battery, the knife I chose had thicker blade and thicker edge for applying force.

Eventually it dawned that my thumb in the pinch grip was embracing newly sharpened steel.  Irony is that the hand restraining the sausage was accoutred in a Kevlar cut resistant glove.  Having learned the hard way many years ago following a trip to the emergency room from slicing chorizo with the exact same blade.

While they held me for observation, the forever blessed physician was kind enough to sit with my two young children in the waiting room.  Not sure hospitals do that anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

I shall never again leap off the bed, collar my husband for help, get him to start cooking while I do the other required prep, apologize for "overnapping" as I put the finishing touches on the dish without taking a second look at my watch.  I had put it on upside down and it was an hour and a half earlier than I thought it was, 5:15 instead of  6:45.  We usually eat around 6:30 so lots of time.  Good thing it is a casserole  type dish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:59 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again tear my arm open, opening a can of soup.  Not sure how I did this.

better than the can of cat food when I was baby sitting..... a human, not the cat.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I will never again step out of my car in an icy grocery store parking lot without checking to see if there's ice under my foot!  Did that the other morning and foot slid forward and I slid down the door.  Fortunately I was still close to the door so I could brace myself and didn't fall backward.  Just embarrassed and dirty and wet.  Not a good way to start my day.

• Sad 12

4 hours ago, lindag said:

I will never again step out of my car in an icy grocery store parking lot without checking to see if there's ice under my foot!  Did that the other morning and foot slid forward and I slid down the door.  Fortunately I was still close to the door so I could brace myself and didn't fall backward.  Just embarrassed and dirty and wet.  Not a good way to start my day.

I tried to react "sad" to the post, but somehow the site is not letting me.  I assure you I didn't mean to "like" the news.

• Like 2

I didn't think I'd be back here so soon......😳

I shall never again put bread dough in my 13" Pullman pan without spraying the lid with oil.  You bake it with the lid on for 1/2 hour with the lid on and 1/2 hour with the lid off.  After the first half hour, it was a b...h to get off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 4

16 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again neglect the orgeat in my mai tai.  It's enough to toss the whole thing down and start over.

Wow!  .Orgeat?

I've been inspired by your evening MaiTais and have been enjoying mine of late.

However 

, I use Mr. and Mrs. T mix, with a shot of Myer's Rum and a big splash of pineapple juice.  jJust right for me.

i tried making my own mix but it just wasn't right to my taste.  This one hits the spot.

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Wow!  .Orgeat?

I've been inspired by your evening MaiTais and have been enjoying mine of late.

However 

, I use Mr. and Mrs. T mix, with a shot of Myer's Rum and a big splash of pineapple juice.  jJust right for me.

i tried making my own mix but it just wasn't right to my taste.  This one hits the spot.

No, I don't make my own orgeat mix!  I buy my orgeat from @feste.  Which reminds me,  it's time to order more.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:38 PM, ElsieD said:

I shall never again leap off the bed, collar my husband for help, get him to start cooking while I do the other required prep, apologize for "overnapping" as I put the finishing touches on the dish without taking a second look at my watch.  I had put it on upside down and it was an hour and a half earlier than I thought it was, 5:15 instead of  6:45.  We usually eat around 6:30 so lots of time.  Good thing it is a casserole  type dish.

He he! I used to do this in the nursing home with my broken hip. I was totally used to digital clocks, but my brother loaned me an analog watch that I never wore because I am allergic to cheaper metals like stainless steal. I would read it upside down or backwards or whatever all the time, causing me to distrust and reset it to even more disastrous results! There are no clocks in the nursing home rooms. This lead to a very disorienting experience. 

Meals, which should be the highlight of such a meager existence weren't, but at least they marked time until I could figure out how to deal with upside down analog time again. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

> ^ . . ^ <