• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

A few years ago I fell over the open washing machine door (front loader).

I leave the door open so it can dry inside and not get stinky.

The laundry room was dark and I hit the door and pitched over it and onto the tile floor.

Hit my elbow and could feel a piece of bone there for many months.  Eventually it went away. 

There may have been a glass or two or wine involved.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

I have sworn more times than I can count that I will never again turn on the garbage disposal without first checking to see if a piece of stainless flatware has slipped down into it.  

I did it twice in 20 minutes while rinsing dishes and loading the dishwasher yesterday. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This could turn into a very long topic indeed.  I'm keeping back my best one to top all others....LOL

Added: or rather, my worst one...

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

40 minutes ago, kayb said:

I have sworn more times than I can count that I will never again turn on the garbage disposal without first checking to see if a piece of stainless flatware has slipped down into it. 

I keep a spare strainer basket like is used on the non-garbage-side of the sink and put into the garbage disposal side so that water will drain but it keeps those pesky pieces of flatware (and other thing) out.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

My disposer came with a rubber or silicone gasket that is well designed to allow water to flow yet holds back even the smallest items.  These gaskets are available online and can be fitted into the opening of most disposers. Baffle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lindag said:

A few years ago I fell over the open washer door (front loader).

I leave the door open so it can dry inside and not get stinky...

My mom would never use the "dry" cycle of the dishwasher. When a load would get to the "dry" mode, she would stop the cycle, pop the door open and would stick a wooden spoon into the door which was almost closed/ajar.  It would allow the steam to drift out. The dishes were hot enough that they would "self-dry". The added "plus" was that the door wasn't left all the way open which she considered a kitchen hazard.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, Darienne said:

This could turn into a very long topic indeed.  I'm keeping back my best one to top all others....LOL

Added: or rather, my worst one...

GIVE NOW!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

6 hours ago, kayb said:

I did it twice in 20 minutes while rinsing dishes and loading the dishwasher yesterday. 

I didn't do this for a long time and then one morning, while I was still half-asleep, turned on the disposal and woke up fast! That is the worst noise! And I had to throw that spoon out, it was deformed.   🙂

• Sad 4

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dishwasher door does it to me about every other week.

Hope you don’t have any sharp knives in the cutlery basket with blades up!  Click.  Cured me of my bad habits.  Well at least this bad habit!  

• Sad 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/28/2018 at 5:33 PM, IowaDee said:

Throwing away the leftover Halloween candy one year and a penny went along for the ride in the disposal.  Made the

cutest little copper ball!  Even so, once was more than enough.

My sad emoji was for throwing candy away.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I will never again leave my workshop door unlocked when I am airbrushing chocolate molds. Nor will I leave the window on the workshop door in a see-through condition. 

Why?  Because my smarty pants daughter and her boyfriend snapped pics of me with goggles, mask, gloves, and a hat on. If she posts it to my Instagram page, I am going to die. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

4 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

I will never again leave my workshop door unlocked when I am airbrushing chocolate molds. Nor will I leave the window on the workshop door in a see-through condition. 

Why?  Because my smarty pants daughter and her boyfriend snapped pics of me with goggles, mask, gloves, and a hat on. If she posts it to my Instagram page, I am going to die. 

NAH..... negotiate and if that doesn't work retaliate.  I'm SURE you have or can get some embarrassing pictures that she would not want posted.😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Like, naked on a bear skin rug!

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Like, naked on a bear skin rug!

Sorry for double quote.That is EXACTLY what I started typing before this posted. There is also the first time parent urgent diaper change ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Oh good grief the smell is horrifying. I ran the pot outside. Started simmering some shrimp stock with vegetables and coconut milk. BUT was tired and thought i'd take a 1 minute nap. Smoke alarm woke me and it was far from stove!  I liked the saucepan but I think, well I know. it is trash bound and "hello TJ Max for a new one... The last one was me being overly chatty and walking far away while green beans simmering. Do we ever learn? I don't even know if I can sleep in this end of house it is so unpleasant.

• Sad 9

I will never again leave a can of Mandarin orange segments in my kitchen cabinet for so long I can't remember when I put them there.

Went to said cabinet to get a box of macaroni noodles and the box was stuck fast to the shelf.  It seems the can had leaked  (it was completely empty) all over and every package nearby was also stuck.  

How the hell I'm going to scrape up that hardened goo is a mystery.

• Sad 7

It's a good thing the ants didn't point it out to you!

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

27 minutes ago, lindag said:

I will never again leave a can of Mandarin orange segments in my kitchen cabinet for so long I can't remember when I put them there.

Went to said cabinet to get a box of macaroni noodles and the box was stuck fast to the shelf.  It seems the can had leaked  (it was completely empty) all over and every package nearby was also stuck.  

I had that happen with a can of pineapple once.  Or twice.

• Haha 5

OMG, hereI am again. 

Just now, while putting together the ingredients for a Mac 'n cheese recipe, I grabbed a can of what I thought was condensed milk. You guessed it, it was evaporated milk.  Must I star over?  I asume it's ruined.

Never mind.  I read it wrong, it is spossed to be evaporated milk.  All is okay...a thank goodness, this has been a trying day so far.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, lindag said:

OMG, hereI am again. 

Just now, while putting together the ingredients for a Mac 'n cheese recipe, I grabbed a can of what I thought was condensed milk. You guessed it, it was evaporated milk.  Must I star over?  I asume it's ruined.

I would have thought the recipe called for evaporated.  Condensed milk is very sweet but then there are lots of dishes out there which are unknowns to me.  All best......

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

12 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I would have thought the recipe called for evaporated.  Condensed milk is very sweet but then there are lots of dishes out there which are unknowns to me.  All best......

Thanks, you are quite right.  All is okay.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I've had similar things happen, and the main requirement is patience. It's basically just sugar, and therefore water soluble. Clear the surrounding area as best you can, and damp it down liberally with a sponge or cloth. Let it sit for 8 or 10 hours, then give it a good wipe with the cloth to get up anything loose/dissolved, and re-wet it again. The second time, you'll be able to get more of it off. The third time or fourth time, it should be moistened right down to the cupboard's surface. At that stage you can take a scraper or spatula to get up most of it, then get the rest with a wet cloth and a green scrubbie.

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning