• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

I will never again: assume the top rack in my french door Oster is correctly in the tracks without VERIFICATION and RECHECK.  Somehow I think I am smarter than I am and more diligent than I am.  I have lost 1 batch of lemon shortbread a week ago, and this morning THREE of my Caribbean Rum Cakes mini-loaves to pulling out the rack to take a look-see and having it pitch forward and launch the baked goods onto the concrete patio floor.   

I picked up the last idiot failures and the Grackles are loving them on the lawn.  I popped opened a large Rogue Dead Guy and contemplated Life, the Universe and Everything for a while.

I will carry on and re-do the Rum Cakes.  I am not blaming the oven, it is what it is.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 4

I will never again, at least not until next time, store my garbage oil in a glass container in a spot where it is most likely to get knocked onto the tile floor. 

1BBAEBD5-53D8-494F-801E-6308322A5346.thumb.jpeg.ffefa8461dfa8ad1982f1112cebd9867.jpeg

That is kitty litter. You can see the broken glass in the middle there. It took me almost 2 hours to get it to any reasonable state where I would not be likely to slip and fall. That was my absolute biggest fear.  And keeping the cat out of it in case he thought it was a new litter box!

• Like 3
  • Sad 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well OK

no one or Car was injured

I keep plastic jars for things like that

I also add other Disposible Organics from time to time

I do have a lot os Real Mayo jars and lids

that line up , and salute for this Use.

a Lot!

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Well OK

no one or Car was injured

I keep plastic jars for things like that

I also add other Disposible Organics from time to time

I do have a lot os Real Mayo jars and lids

that line up , and salute for this Use.

a Lot!

Yes it was sheer stupidity on  my part to use a glass jar. I was lured by the fact that it had a nice wide opening. Please, let this be a lesson learned.

At one time there was a Japanese product that you could add to used oil which would almost instantly solidify it. Anyone familiar with this?

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yes it was sheer stupidity on  my part to use a glass jar. I was lured by the fact that it had a nice wide opening. Please, let this be a lesson learned.

At one time there was a Japanese product that you could add to used oil which would almost instantly solidify it. Anyone familiar with this?

Was that regular cat litter?  Because I'm wondering if the clumping stuff would work.  Unless, of course, that was clumping litter.

16 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Sorry, not, but I saw a product on Shark Tank a while back. They had a product for sale online for a while, but apparently, they are re-tooling the product.

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Was that regular cat litter?  Because I'm wondering if the clumping stuff would work.  Unless, of course, that was clumping litter.

Definitely clumping. Light weight clumping and It did a pretty good job. I added more after I took the photograph and also added some ordinary flour to the mixture. 

• Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Lisa Shock said:

Sorry, not, but I saw a product on Shark Tank a while back. They had a product for sale online for a while, but apparently, they are re-tooling the product.

And the product I was thinking of is Daiso cooking oil hardener on Amazon.com. 

No longer available. Damn. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

@Anna N Daiso stores still carry cooking oil hardner.

Thanks. That’s interesting but not very useful for me!  The nearest Daiso  is in British Columbia according to what I can find out. I think there is one somewhere around Seattle or Portland. Perhaps I could send that @Kerry Beal out there again!

There is the store which I visit occasionally out in the Asian area which may carry it. I will try to remember to look the next time now that I know what the package looks like.   Thanks again.

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

@Anna N  I'm not sure what's available in Canada, but "Zep" Instant Spill Absorber; "Spill Magic" LIquid Spill Absorber; and "Odorgon" Powder are used for oil spills and are carried on Amazon US.

Thanks. This was unique in that it was meant to prevent spills in the first place by turning the liquid fat into a solid mass which could then be disposed of. I am somewhat aware of products designed to deal with the spill once it’s happened.  Thanks very much for pointing out these products.   I really hope I’ve come to my senses and will never need one though!  

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. That’s interesting but not very useful for me!  The nearest Daiso  is in British Columbia according to what I can find out. I think there is one somewhere around Seattle or Portland. Perhaps I could send that @Kerry Beal out there again!

There is the store which I visit occasionally out in the Asian area which may carry it. I will try to remember to look the next time now that I know what the package looks like.   Thanks again.

I'm nowhere near the Daiso (and no car) or I would head over there and get you some. At least you didn't fall. 

15 minutes ago, demiglace said:

I'm nowhere near the Daiso (and no car) or I would head over there and get you some. At least you didn't fall. 

You are much too sweet. Thank you. Yes my biggest fear was falling. I will find a better way to store my garbage oil until I’m ready to throw it out. In plastic it would not have broken!  I used to store it in empty milk cartons but I rarely buy milk anymore.  And if I do it does not have the screw cap which is essential.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, Anna N said:

You are much too sweet. Thank you. Yes my biggest fear was falling. I will find a better way to store my garbage oil until I’m ready to throw it out. In plastic it would not have broken!  I used to store it in empty milk cartons but I rarely buy milk anymore.  And if I do it does not have the screw cap which is essential.  

I buy milk with a screw cap, but then the bottle is glass.  Most recently I store used cooking oil in an old plastic cooking oil container.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Wonder if it's maltodextrin?

• Like 2

I really hate this thread. Every time I see it bumped up to the top I wonder who is in the burn unit or who just cut off a finger. Mostly I don't read it, but every once in a while I can't help myself. It may occasionally be useful as a cautionary tale, but it's never feel-good. At least not in a nice way; at best I think to myself, "When am I going to do something THAT stupid?" I don't enjoy the prospect that it's only a matter of time. I admit that I have walked into an open cabinet door more than once. It's not my fault if I don't notice a gaping door full of sugar and nuts right in front of me.

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I really hate this thread. Every time I see it bumped up to the top I wonder who is in the burn unit or who just cut off a finger. Mostly I don't read it, but every once in a while I can't help myself. It may occasionally be useful as a cautionary tale, but it's never feel-good. At least not in a nice way; at best I think to myself, "When am I going to do something THAT stupid?" I don't enjoy the prospect that it's only a matter of time. I admit that I have walked into an open cabinet door more than once. It's not my fault if I don't notice a gaping door full of sugar and nuts right in front of me.

Or when you turn around and your husband has opened the cabinet and left the door open...….

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Or when you turn around and your husband has opened the cabinet and left the door open...….

Or a drawer...or the dishwasher door...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Or a drawer...or the dishwasher door...

...and then they say "I wasn't done yet".

Yes, yes you were.  I'm used to having worked in a professional kitchen and, though we didn't have a lot of drawers, etc.  Make sure every thing is in it's place so no one it hurt by ANYTHING you do.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 3

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

10 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Or like today when an end box-type drawer in the coffee table which  contains batteries,  is left open because "I'll only be a minute then I have to put this stuff back". This is = to "I wasn't done yet". 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Or like today when an end box-type drawer in the coffee table which  contains batteries,  is left open because "I'll only be a minute then I have to put this stuff back". This is = to "I wasn't done yet". 

...and that's when the rabbits show up and distract them.  My mantra is FOCUS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Full disclosure: the last time I walked into an open cabinet door, which was three days ago, it was my own fault. What's so hilarious (well, if you think the bump on my forehead is laughable) is that I should know better, seeing as my husband is guilty of leaving doors open WHENEVER he opens them, so you'd think I would know better than to leave a door open EVEN ONCE. 

As for the dishwasher door, I have heard "I wasn't done yet" more times than I can count, and I am all over the weaponization at shin level, enough to stay out of the way when it's clean-up time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3