• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

I shall never again make an enchilada casserole using frozen Hatch chiles without carefully reading my freezer pack labels. I knew one package was Medium heat. I thought the other was Mild, but couldn't find the label (which was helpfully printed, in my handwriting, using indelible ink, on the bottom seam of the package :blink:). I put approximately half of each package, juice and all, into the casserole. Lordy, that was hot! I found the label the next day.

Unfortunately, we were out of sour cream. Fortunately, we had cream cheese and easily-shredded cheddar. Cream cheese isn't much like sour cream, but it tamed the heat.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I have my own entry upthread concerning Hatch chiles. I really will never again prep them without gloves. I was only doing a couple just for me, but WOW! that hurt. I handle a few jalapenos all the time barehanded, but never Hatches again. They are sneaky. xD

I could say the same about Poblanos, except that I've continued to prep them bare-hands.  One session with them I was in agony for hours and nothing was relieving it.  I swore...never again...but then went right back to it.  Pain from Poblanos????  Ridiculous! :P

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

I will never again reach into the back of a hot and running Cuisinart Steam Oven to give a piece of bread  a quick flip "because it's not very far and there is lots of headroom".  Not.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I will never again reach into the back of a hot and running Cuisinart Steam Oven to give a piece of bread  a quick flip "because it's not very far and there is lots of headroom".  Not.

I hope it's not a bad burn.  Last night I had a heat related incident -- thankfully not quite up to "never again" standards...

My main oven (or I should say my big oven, since we all know the CSO is the main oven) had been preheating for three hours.  The pizza was on the peel.  With the broiler running I opened the oven door and began coaxing the pizza off the peel.  Something jogged my brain that the oven was really, really hot.

The hand with the peel retracted more rapidly than I had planned and not all the pizza made it on the steel.  Mess was not that bad.  Pizza was eatable, quite good actually.  No burns, but the hand still feels slightly singed.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

29 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The affected area is about an inch and a half around.  The area around where the skin burned off has that nice brand new skin look, you know, smooth and shiny.  

Oh, I am so sorry.  That sounds terrible!  I won't even ask for pictures.

• Like 1

I decided this morning to prepare a potato salad to have this  evening.

I store my potatoes in a basket out in the garage .

I dumped the potatoes out of their bag and thought I'd gag from the smell.

Said garage gets pretty hot in summer and I should have stored the potatoes in the garage fridge but I didn't.

Memo to self:   When it's hot, keep potatoes in the fridge lest I die from the disgusting smell of  rotten potato that will linger for a good long while.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, lindag said:

Memo to self:   When it's hot, keep potatoes in the fridge lest I die from the disgusting smell of  rotten potato that will linger for a good long while.

Lol, potatoes, so bland and innocuous ... until they go bad!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Said garage gets pretty hot in summer and I should have stored the potatoes in the garage fridge but I didn't.

But storing potatoes in the fridge affects the flavor.  I check my potatoes regularly and dispose of any questionable ones. I learned the hard way about liquified potatoes.

• Haha 2

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

17 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

I know that smell. 

"Oooh that smell

Can"t you smell that smell"*

* I have been hanging around the Reeds waaayyy too long. They have lyrics for all occasions.

• Haha 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I shall never again get out of bed.

It's been one of those days.  I got too involved with frustrating World of Warcraft matters, and after a well deserved hot shower I went to fix dinner at 11:30 -- only to realize the dishwasher hadn't really run.  The detergent was still in the dispenser.  Just before this I found a rotten bag of peaches in the bedroom.  By this time I was already on plan C.

This morning I'm having mixed nuts and a mai tai...maybe one of several as the dishwasher cycle is two hours.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again get out of bed.

It's been one of those days.  I got too involved with frustrating World of Warcraft matters, and after a well deserved hot shower I went to fix dinner at 11:30 -- only to realize the dishwasher hadn't really run.  The detergent was still in the dispenser.  Just before this I found a rotten bag of peaches in the bedroom.  By this time I was already on plan C.

This morning I'm having mixed nuts and a mai tai...maybe one of several as the dishwasher cycle is two hours.

On days like that I just keep telling myself "1st world problems!"  On the never again spectrum - this is an oldie - I will never again leave an anxious piggy of a pitbull in the car while I zip into the market for one item...having left a grocery bag contanng 5 pounds of raw rice he could get at. Thank goodness no vet bills were involved but it was a tense few hours!

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 4
  • Sad 5

Somehow I managed to pour the second mai tai down my front.*  The ice is cold and I'm giving thought to a second shower.  Thankfully the dishwasher is now on the dry cycle and the oven has been preheating for some hours.  I may have dinner yet.  Perhaps before the sun comes up.

*I'm no Richard Nixon.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, heidih said:

On days like that I just keep telling myself "1st world problems!"  On the never again spectrum - this is an oldie - I will never again leave an anxious piggy of a pitbull in the car while I zip into the market for one item...having left a grocery bag contanng 5 pounds of raw rice he could get at. Thank goodness no vet bills were involved but it was a tense few hours!

I knew from experience that cats eat steak, but dogs eat rice?

9 hours ago, heidih said:

There's a need for an OMG! button obviously.

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I had the queen of all dogs as far as eating things she wasn't supposed to. At various times, the dog, a Weimaraner, ate a two-pound can of coffee, a bottle of 98 prescription iron supplement tablets, an entire box of chocolate fundraising bars, a box of shotgun shells, and the back off the bathroom door. Nothing fazed her.

We wound up electrifying the kitchen trash to keep her out of it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

21 minutes ago, kayb said:

I had the queen of all dogs as far as eating things she wasn't supposed to. At various times, the dog, a Weimaraner, ate a two-pound can of coffee, a bottle of 98 prescription iron supplement tablets, an entire box of chocolate fundraising bars, a box of shotgun shells, and the back off the bathroom door. Nothing fazed her.

We wound up electrifying the kitchen trash to keep her out of it.

Consider the OMG! button hit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.