• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

15 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Basically regular foil, but one side is treated with (I believe) silicone, making it a sort of metallic parchment. Seems to work, though I've only used it a couple of times.

Don’t use it often but like Ex-Lax it needs to be in the house.

• Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

I don't really understand the point. I've never known foil that sticks.

Then you’re not cooking the right things.xD   Roasted vegetables will sometimes stick. Most things with a glaze tend to stick. At the moment I cannot bring to mind the one thing I make where this foil is essential. I’ll keep working on that. Sometimes of course it gets a lazy cook out of trouble. :$

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Then you’re not cooking the right things.xD   Roasted vegetables will sometimes stick. Most things with a glaze tend to stick. At the moment I cannot bring to mind the one thing I make where this foil is essential. I’ll keep working on that. Sometimes of course it gets a lazy cook out of trouble. :$

I have a roll of foil, but I've had it for a long time. Only really use it to keep my bread over browning on top (but I use the same piece for weeks before it falls apart) , or very occasionally to keep things warm/ rest.

I thought you could oil it to prevent sticking, no?

Anyway, roasting vegetables or anything else is not really a Chinese thing. I am probably the only person in a square mile or more who has an oven. I'd be surprised if there are more than 6 in the whole city.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I will never again make Alfredo sauce (pasta water, butter, parmesan) and leave it sitting to clean the next day in my Demeyere pan. Dried glue that needed a lot of effort to clean up. My bad for leaving it. And the whisk, it's a mess.

I may opt for a non-stick pan in the future. Or adding butter first,  then pasta water, then parm to allow the butter to coat the pan.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I shall never again, I most fervently hope -- please sit down -- after last night's narrow avoidance of a confrontation with a most sharp knife, only today to stab myself with a fork.  A table fork, you know the ones that are not sharp.  I dropped the fork.  I went to catch it.  I caught it.  Through the forearm.  It's bleeding.  It hurts.

Perhaps it's time for me to stick to spoons and chopsticks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Perhaps it's time for me to stick to spoons and chopsticks.

I don't know - some of those chopsticks can be pretty aggressive!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I don't know - some of those chopsticks can be pretty aggressive!

I've stabbed myself with chopstick in the past. These ones, although I don't know which one hurt most. I've also read more than one report in the local press about arthritis being caused or, at least, exacerbated by chopstick use.

chopsticks.thumb.jpg.5270769445c693a0e9df966a80591188.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:53 AM, liuzhou said:

I've also read more than one report in the local press about arthritis being caused or, at least, exacerbated by chopstick use.

I don't know about arthritis but they certainly can cause or, at least, exacerbate my use of foul language at times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Not me hurting myself for a change, but my DH, Ed, stabbing himself quite horribly with my trusty bench scraper.  I do love my bench scraper.  But Ed loads the dishwasher...a man's job, no doubt.  I just don't do it 'properly' and who am I to quibble?

So Ed took it downstairs and ground off those sharp corners and now we have a defanged bench scraper and all is well. 

I see on Google Images that all bench scrapers have sharp corners.  Lethal.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

Put a freshly baked pineapple upside down cake (or any other baked good) on a stove burner to cool. 

Then I will, as a result, never again turn on the wrong burner, beneath it.

An explosion and small stovetop fire ensued. As did much profanity. I also threw out the saucepan full of diced potatoes that were boiling for potato salad, for fear the glass shards had gotten in there, too. Judging from the sound effects as they went down the disposal, one had.

I have retreated to the couch with wine.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I will never again be up to my armpits in bread only to receive a call reminding me I should be at work.  Thanks Alexa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The story about food poisoning in the 'Bali' thread reminded me of something that happened a few summers ago....

I will never again prepare a dish using fresh spinach without thoroughly washing it first.

Three or four hours later I was in the bathroom trying to decide which was worse; the vomiting or the Hershey squirts!  I was ill for quite a long time afterward.

• Sad 1

And speaking of 'he' had better not do this ever again, Ed, my DH, put a 'yesterday's cup' of coffee into the microwave to heat it up.  Right.  Except that he forgot to remove the tag saying "CAF" clipped to the edge of the cup with a plastic and metal black and orange doodad.

What a mess.  And guess what?  He didn't even notice the mess...which I, the dutiful wife, had to clean up.  

...he had better not....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I will never again (oh yeah?) put a pan of vegetables on the stove to sweat, and then disappear into the New York Times crossword puzzle. The lid kept the resulting burned aroma from penetrating my concentration. The pan will recover, fortunately. Dinner was somewhat delayed.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

I will never again (right!  as Nancy said: oh yeah?) turn a large bottle of commercial salsa upside down and shake it to get the interior remnants to fall towards towards the top for easy access.  

Yes.  Salsa everywhere:  on the cupboard walls, on the floor, on the rug, on my slacks, on my runners, on my t-shirt,...lovely bright red and oh so staining red tomato based salsa.  Serve me right for not making it from scratch.

And yes.  One of us is more likely not to be careful to put tops back on bottles, containers, you name it.  And you, gentle reader, know which one of us I mean! :P

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

30 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Yes.  Salsa everywhere:  on the cupboard walls, on the floor, on the rug, on my slacks, on my runners, on my t-shirt,...lovely bright red and oh so staining red tomato based salsa. 

Sounds like you just need some tortilla chips

• Haha 2

I shall never again...my Endorphin Rush was clogged with dried gunk in the bottle neck.  I shall never again stir a spoonful of dried endorphin gunk into my bowl of soup.

Edit:  now I'm not clogged either.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I will never again puree a large mango in my Thermomix without first making sure the cap is in the lid.

Well, sort of sad...but in a laughing way.  What a mess to clean up.

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.